cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Late night/early morning speeds have plummeted...

Re: Late night/early morning speeds have plummeted...

Hmm that is odd... and it's just happening for Google Maps? Otherwise other sites are loading normally? Does this occur in the daytime as well?

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Distinguished Professor IV

@Liz wrote:

Hmm that is odd... and it's just happening for Google Maps? Otherwise other sites are loading normally? Does this occur in the daytime as well?

-Liz

No, not just Google Maps.  It's just that Google Maps is one of the most frustrating, as it's something I'm waiting for in the moment rather than, "I can install this later".  

This is just now...

capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

That's 619.2Kbps and 428.8Kbps, respectively, as what's above is in bytes per second.  

This is while getting a service speed of ~35Mbps.  I ran a speed test in between the two file download tests and then one after.  34Mbps and 38Mbps, respectively. 

Edit:  I didn't complete the downloads, as I don't need them.  I stopped each one shortly after taking the snapshot.  They were just for testing purposes.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro

Cool, thanks Gabe. I'm glad you also included a non-Microsoft download as well. 

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Distinguished Professor IV

@Liz 

I figured it would be best to.  I know that Microsoft downloads can sometimes be a bit temperamental.  That other one is for the Malwarebytes offline installer.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro

Gotcha. Thanks Gabe! I'm double-checking with the engineers if they have any traffic rules for these kinds of downloads. I'll keep you updated with anything I can share.

-Liz

Junior

I don't mean to highjack the thread, but wanted to let you (both Gabe and Liz) know that I have been experiencing the same issues relative to those issues presented by Gabe.  I am using a current MacBook Pro running macOS 10.14.6.  Because Apple has a different speed threshold for downloading from their servers, downloads will most often stop before finishing as the HughesNet speeds reduce.

Anyway....I just wanted to let you know that Mac users are having the same impacts.  I will post a separate concern after running speed test.

Again...I apologize for the intrusion on your thread.   

That Apple thing is actually a separate issue that is not time dependent. It also seems to be focused on a few routes which happen to include Apple and Microsoft - though the Microsoft route appears to have been aleviated today. Can't remember what gateway you're on (I'm on San Diego), but what you're talking about is making getting an iPad updated to iPadOS 14.3 almost impossible. Not even going to try updating Xcode (6GB) on my MBP until I know it won't take 24hrs to find out it failed.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Junior

@MarkJFine wrote:

That Apple thing is actually a separate issue that is not time dependent. It also seems to be focused on a few routes which happen to include Apple and Microsoft - though the Microsoft route appears to have been aleviated today. Can't remember what gateway you're on (I'm on San Diego), but what you're talking about is making getting an iPad updated to iPadOS 14.3 almost impossible. Not even going to try updating Xcode (6GB) on my MBP until I know it won't take 24hrs to find out it failed.

I'm on Gateway 12 and agree that downloading Apple updates is nearly impossible lately....especially iOS updates.

Thing is, everything to Apple is affected. That includes News, Messages, Stocks, anything that uses iCloud...

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Junior

@MarkJFine wrote:

Thing is, everything to Apple is affected. That includes News, Messages, Stocks, anything that uses iCloud...

Agree with your assessment.  I stopped using iCloud long ago except for those times I need to update profile info.  My son worked for Apple at Cupertino and advised that iCloud didn't play "nice" with satellite ISP's and it is generally unreliable for backups. I use Time Machine for my macOS machines and iTunes for my iPhone backups.