Latency and Teamspeak II

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lighthope1
Senior

Latency and Teamspeak II

Following up on this topic from https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/latency-and-teamspeak?rfm=1&topic_submit=true

Been testing it over the last couple weeks. Didn't know the thread would be locked.

Anyway, you said that your engineers did some "tweeks" to my site.  I have noticed that, after I stop talking on Teamspeak, the latency drops back down faster.

However, I am still experiencing very high latency when I talk (or transmit data).

Last night I hit 5000 ms latency.

So there still is a problem.
50 REPLIES 50
lighthope1
Senior

Hughesnet never said anything about an overloaded beam, so I won't presume that.

Also, while those ping times seem "normal," the timeout are not.

Latency has been better the last 24 hours, hence the delay in my reply.  I am attempting to post results when things are bad as normal results aren't helpful.

While a 6k lag spike could be a temporary thing, the other results are too often to be just anomalies.
lighthope1
Senior

14K latency tonight.  That's FOURTEEN *THOUSAND* milliseconds.

6.5K at the gateway.

Either there is something wrong with the modem or the gateway.  Look there.

I have noticed that, when running a traceroute, it can take quite a long time to get the address.  Sometimes longer than the ping time.  Don't know if that is significant.
lighthope1
Senior

Last three days, latency has been fairly decent, though last night it did start to go up to 1600 just as I was finishing up.  Don't know if it would have continued higher.

Should I continue updating this?  By the lack of response, I really am under the impression that Hughesnet doesn't care.

I wonder how quickly they'd respond if there was an issue with payment collection?  I bet they'd work really fast to resolve that.

For any inconvenience, I will be adding a service credit to your account.

The promised credit did not appear.
lighthope1
Senior

Latency has been normal for the last several days.  There has been a few times when it shot up, but this happens infrequently and only last for a couple minutes.
Chris11
Alum

Hi lighthope,

Our engineers have been ramping up some of the scheduled tweaks for you gateway. So, hopefully this sticks. Let us know if anything changes.

- Chris
lighthope1
Senior

Another week with no unusual latency issues.  (The odd spike that lasts for a short time is not considered unusual.)

I think we can consider this issue resolved.
Chris11
Alum

Hi Lighthope,

Good to hear it. Feel free to create a new post if you need more assistance.

- Chris

Hi Chris11,

Called Hughes Support yesterday about latency issues.  I am a subscriber of Gen4 Prime SP-D.  They listened and said I had a tech issue. Told me transferring me to a tech support team. Instead it was a call center in the US that was selling service contracts to correct Hughes problems.  One look $129 or $57 per month.  I cannot update windows because Microsoft says the latency makes my computer look like a security threat. Have also gone to Windows update store and tried to download the necessary file with no joy. I either take my desktop to another connection in the city or download the files needed and put on thumb drive. My average latency is about 1000 msec or one sec rounded off.  Windows 7 64 bit on this computer. Cat 6 cable direct to modem still no joy.  I run the diagnostics from http://192.168.0.1 and on Hughes Website and they are all green.  Have brought another desktop computer with Windows 10 and tried to update and still not joy.  Hughes seems to be trying to increase their revenue stream by throttling and then the squeeze of a high pressure sales person in a bull pen somewhere playing on desperation to get one more recurring expense. I always get a Code 80072EE2 when the down load finally pucks.  Suggestions?

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Tnkrtoy

Unfortunately, Chris11 is no longer with the company.  

You should start a new post regarding this issue to keep it separate from the OP's issue with Teamspeak.