Latency and internet going completely out

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
missyjo0206
Freshman

Latency and internet going completely out

We have been Hughes net customers since April of 2016 we have the Gen. 4 pro plus plan and I understand the latency with weather and Wi-Fi calling and the satellite does not support it ,however we used to be able to use it and it worked fine for the most part.the issue is for the last 2 weeks or more our Internet has become progressively slower to the point that it cant even be used, we can't even depend on it. my job depends on me having Internet for contact and doing my scheduling and I've had to go elsewhere to do that because I can't even get a phone call on my phone through Hughes net because it goes in-and-out and I can hear people but they cant hear me when it is working. I've done multiple speed tests and the latest showed an upload speed of 2.08 and download of 0.28. 6 months ago they were almost triple that most of the time.
I contacted customer support about a week ago because I was trying for 3 or 4 days to log in to my account to make a payment and it said that account did not exist. I was told by customer support that they were doing a system upgrade and that technical support would take care of the issue,which they did but I also questioned why it showed that we had went through 15GB of data in 10 days because we've not even been able to use our Internet because it hasn't worked right and we don't upload videos or download anything but maybe apps on our devices now and then.we don't use Netflix we have 2 cell phones and an iPad and a wireless printer.we have our dishnetwork hooked up to it but we do not watch any on demand movies or use any of the apps on dishnetwork and that's all we have on our service and my wife works out of town so she's not even here half the time. Going over our data has never been an issue. I sometimes think it says we use more then we do but not an issue until all the other problems with service latley.I was told that the system upgrade could also be why it was showing that we had no data and she kindly put 2GB of data on our account which made no difference in our service and I'm not even sure where that 2GB went because it was gone by the next day.so I waited a few days and I contacted them again this evening and explained the situation, that this had been getting progressively worse over the last couple of weeks or more to the point that I have rebooted and restarted my router more times then I can count now. sometimes the Internet goes completely out and I have to reboot it 2 or 3 times before it will start working again. and then it's very slow and will get notifications on devices saying slow connection or email or message will be sent when wifi available. I was advised that there was a storm system wherever the satellite was that we are getting our connection from and that there was nothing that they could do and that I just needed to try to use the service again at a different time and that they could not run any test on our service because the test would not be accurate and I was told to have a nice day. I can't imagine that this storm system has caused this for 2 weeks now . It's not just every now and then it's all day every day even during the bonus data period. other than some rain about 3 days ago it has been Sunny and clear here for the most part with a cloudy day here and there but even on cloudy days it has never been like this. so I just really don't know where to go from here.we have no other option for Internet in our area this is it and like I said this is a fairly new issue. I mean we've always had slow Internet but understandable because of our rural area but it's never been this bad. Also I did not get to mention to customer support before she disconnected the chat that there is a residence with hughesnet that lives maybe 0.1 miles from me and not having the issues we are and 3 other homes within a 3 mile radius that are not having the issues we are. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
2 REPLIES 2
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@missyjo0206 

First, the Dish Network receiver.  Even though you don't actively do anything with it, connected satellite TV receivers can still use data, and a considerable amount.  It wouldn't at all be surprising if this is where at least some of your HughesNet data is going.  It's best to sever that connection to ensure that no data is used.  This is also a reason why HughesNet recommends against connecting satellite TV receivers to HughesNet's service.  

You may also want to take a look at your wireless printer and make sure that it's not connecting to its home site on a regular basis, as this can use data, as well. 

It definitely sounds like you have something that is using your data without you knowing, as is evidenced by the 2GB of token data being gone by the next day, even though it sounds like you weren't doing anything that should have used it. In addition to the two things I've mentioned (sat TV receiver and wireless printer), this post and this post may help with the data usage issue.  Additionally, the reps may be able to see what device it is that is using the most data, though I'm not sure if a Gen4 modem allows them to see such. 

---------------------------------------

Regarding the WiFi calling, even if the speed improves it still may not work.  Officially, HughesNet does not support it, so other than trying to improve your speed for the sake of the speed,  they most likely won't do anything to try to get your WiFi calling to work.  HughesNet does offer their own Voice service, though.  Edit:  I see from your prior posts that you may already have HughesNet's Voice Service.

---------------------------------------

Regarding your speed issues, the HughesNet reps will need some speed tests to be run at testmy.net, and using a specific protocol, which I'll post below.  When you run the tests, please be sure to be using a single device that is directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable, and to run them while signed into a testmy.net account that you create (or have created already).  No 3rd party router or WiFi can be used during the testing, as they can affect your speed.  Just a direct LAN cable connection to the HughesNet modem.  And, with you having Gen4, you likely have the HT1000 or HT1100 modem, which has no internal WiFi to disable (just in case you see the instruction to do so elsewhere).  The speed testing protocol is as follows...

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform a batch of 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used) 
-use the 12MB size download test file 

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please see this site .

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

Damian

@missyjo0206,

We're closing this thread since we never got a reply from you. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation along with the speed test results GabeU posted instructions on, so that we can more effectively help you. 

-Damian