cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency highly variable but bad for simple browsing - several seconds regularly

RandyPAlex
New Poster

Latency highly variable but bad for simple browsing - several seconds regularly

My speeds seem to be quite good but the latency is CRAZY bad. I ran latency tests on testmy.net. I'm not into gaming or anything, and preloading of streaming usually is sufficient with the high bandwidth (previous ISP was 1Mbps on a good day), but the latency is killing me for simple browsing. I even had a reply that Hughesnet is not responding it was so bad. I'm new with HN so I'm assuming there is something that can be adjusted in my modem to help with this. The following graphs were taken while connected by ethernet cable to the modem and my wifi disabled. This is just not right, right??

Speeds seem to be quite good but the latency is CRAZY bad. I ran latency tests on testmy.net. I'm not into gaming or anything, and preloading of streaming usually is sufficient with the high bandwidth (previous ISP was 1Mbps on a good day), but the latency is killing me for simple browsing. I even had a reply that Hughesnet is not responding it was so bad. I'm new with HN so I'm assuming there is something that can be adjusted in my modem to help with this. The following graphs were taken while connected by ethernet cable to the modem and my wifi disabled. This is just not right, right?? PLEASE say there is something that can be done.

RA_latency_201912161913.PNGRA_latency_201912161911.PNGRA_latency_graphs_20191216_1922.png

60 REPLIES 60
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Latency highly variable but bad for simple browsing - several seconds regularly

Testmy's great for speed, but their latency test is not reliable for satellite. To check latency, run traceroutes and you'll see that latency's pretty stable and predictable with satellite. What you think is latency is probably congestion. 

RandyPAlex
New Poster

Re: Latency highly variable but bad for simple browsing - several seconds regularly

I ran a tracert and got back the 600ms ish response as you suggested. But that’s not TCP data, right? Congestion would be apportioned data rate being lower, not lag in response, right?

I click on a link and there is a notable DELAY in response, and when it does respond I get a flood of data. Is that what you’d expect with congestion?

If it is congestion and I run a wireshark trace and look at the TCP data latency i should see a similar 600ms delay but data rate on the returning page throttled to spread the wealth amongst my fellow users on the same beam at this time, right? Congestion wouldn’t result in a ‘site not responding’ message would it?
GabeU

@RandyPAlex 

The latency with satellite internet will always be at least 600ms or so.  But, like maratsade said, it's likely that the problem you're experiencing is congestion.  Even if the amount of latency testmy is reflecting was accurate, it would still only be about 1.2 seconds of delay from onset of action.  

You may also want to run some speed tests using this protocol to see what you're getting.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
RandyPAlex
New Poster

Thanks for the link. I started there originally. Ran some this morning. Good speed as I indicated at the top of my post. Congestion would be contraindicated by good speed if I understand it correctly. But now isn't this morning so I ran the test a few more times just now. Still really good speed >20Mbps. When going to the web page following your link, it first choked saying it couldn't reach the site (long lag maybe?), I reloaded and it found the page. I then went to testmy.net to log in and at first couldn't reach that site, but reloaded and ran the tests. Can you help please?
GabeU

@RandyPAlex 

Congestion is still likely to be at least a part of the problem, but you may also be experiencing some of the issues being caused by Century Link downstream.  @MarkJFine may have some ideas as to whether the latter could be contributing to the problem.  He may reply with him now being tagged.  

Do you know what satellite and gateway you're on?  If not, what do you see for your IPGW Gateway Association State string on this page?  Specifically the characters before HNSIGW, like in the following pic?

Capture.JPG

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
RandyPAlex
New Poster

I ran a wireshark trace while I went to Amazon.com.   While I waited for it to respond I started and ran a tracert to 8.8.8.8.   The Amazon page stopped filling soon after I closed the cmd window from the tracert. I assume amazon is a bit busy on their end this time of year so I will run another wireshark trace for the sending of this reply. Certainly this site isn't going to be bogged down. To make it interesting I'll also try to hit red.com in that same trace just so it isn't dependent on any single site response.

Is there a way for me to upload the pcapng files to the forum or send to you via email?

RandyPAlex
New Poster

The latency test on testmy.net is not a ICMP message test but uses TCP messages so it should be a fair representation of the dynamics for browsing response, right? In this latest wireshark trace I captured during the last post sending (quite quick response) and the Red.com hit (quite slow response) I included a latency test to Dalles and got a few delays approaching 3 seconds. 

I'm sure these will be helpful since it provides empirical data of the dynamics and removes the conjecture. Where should I send the traces for analysis by your experts?

RandyPAlex
New Poster

HN gateway.PNG

This shows what you need?

GabeU

@RandyPAlex wrote:

HN gateway.PNG

This shows what you need?

Yes, it does.  The Cheyenne gateway has apparently be having some issues.  If/when Mark replies, he may have some ideas or suggestions, though it may just be a waiting game.  

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/502-Bad-Gateway-nginx-1-0-15/m-p/117321#M79144