Latency issues Gen 4 Sat

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BJager
Junior

Latency issues Gen 4 Sat

My original post disappeared, I'm sorry if it reappears I just really want this to be seen:

Hi all, having issues with my satellite. I am still on Gen4, 2 year contract just recently ended in October,roundabout, and service has been as good as you can expect out of satellite internet but just at or around a month ago our internet has just been unusable, you can tell by the data usage still being at 75% being this close to reset date lol. There's just too much going on to really troubleshoot it much. I am in Texas on Beam 52, EchoStar-XVII if that's of any help. I have taken notice to another post on this board of someone having very similiar problems as I am: (https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Insane-latency-over-the-last-week/td-p/88932/page/5 ) There on page 5 his issues are "temporarily" fixed if he is on the hughesnet phone, same as me. I have tried testing the gateway through the modem, latency there looks as it should be.. But otherwise like my teamspeak is spiking at 1k-5k latency, I cut in and out, can take 45 seconds for them to hear the words "What's up" and according to them I even have alien-like sounds transmitting when I try to speak, but if I pick the phone up and call my cellphone and leave it running everything is back to normal, soon as I hang up it's over with. I've even tried bypassing the phone box that goes inline with modem and router still nothing.
Web browsing is almost non existent in most cases, I have atleast managed to browse here to make this post though. In the past I have had 2 brand new routers mysteriously go bad while being hooked up to Hughesnet, so I tried another new router, to no improvement because unfortunately im too far from the box have to use wi-fi (in the past would fix problem).

I have ran speedtests, but for the most part they aren't showing anything wrong, It seems like the speedtests scare my internet into working. But I have noticed a few hangups while attempting them. The only thing I have tried that seemed to work but I haven't actually got to fully test it out was being plugged directly into the modem on my laptop, it did seem to work normal then, but for the rest of the devices in the house I just don't have that option to use wire. I have a testmy.net account ready to go and willing to follow instructions on anything to hopefully better improving this because as I said for past month it really is unusable, and it is hard to keep track of everything I've done to troubleshoot my problem so please bear with me, I'm sure this post is jumbled up I appologize, just know I tried and thank you for any input you may have Smiley Happy

PS. I'd like to note that late one night I did call Hughesnet, spoke with a Rep and they were saying everything was ok on their end from what they could see, even offered Gen5. lol. But we were going to do some speed tests but I was actually on the hughesphone when I forgot and unplugged the phone to get ready for a direct wire.. I decided to call it a night after that was so frustrating

*EDIT* http://testmy.net/quickstats/Brant%20Jager are the results of my 25 mb speedtests spaced atleast 5 mins apart plugged directly to the modem.  In my opinion, nothing seems wrong in the speed tests unless there's something in the middle I'm not trained to see Smiley Happy  I also tried doing what I normally do on the laptop inbetween the tests to see if actually being wired in had any help on the latency and sadly not. I'm out of ideas please if I need to do any different tests, or do them at different time slot let me know. Anything to get a light at the end of the tunnel Smiley Happy Also to add, I have to use my mobile hotspot 99% of the time to do anything and there's no issues connecting to it via Wi-Fi, all good latency so surely my adapter isn't gone out.

77 REPLIES 77
BJager
Junior

First Try:

Terminal/Gateway Connectivity Test

Connectivity Test in progress... 100%

IP GatewayMIS52HNSIGW62B002Adv
Packet Loss10%
Average Delay603 ms
Minimum Delay550 ms
Maximum Delay

640 ms

You have limited connectivity to the gateway.

@2nd Try
Terminal/Gateway Connectivity Test

Connectivity Test in progress... 100%

Packet Loss0%
Average Delay571 ms
Minimum Delay540 ms
Maximum Delay620 ms

You have good connectivity to the gateway.

Just incase this helps
Liz

Hi BJager,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! I ran diagnostics on your site and I'd like to address your dish alignment before we continue troubleshooting.

Your dispatch is currently scheduled for our earliest available slot: Thursday, Dec 21, 2017 between 8:00 AM and 11:00 AM. Call us at 866.347.3292 and reference case #108299076 if you need to reschedule. Please let us know how the site visit goes and how performance is afterwards.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Thank you for the welcoming and thanks so much for taking the time to check it out!  I am looking forward for someone coming to check it out further!
Thank you for understanding my concerns.

The HughesNet guy came, did not even look at the satellite outside since you said we need to troubleshoot alignment before continuing.  I told him about this post.. All he did was log into the modem and seen that everything passed, and that all green lights are on and said nothing is wrong... He did change my beam, to no fix.. It might be SLIIIIGHTLY better but still averaging 1500ms latency on Teamspeak whereas a month ago I would average a stable 640ms no higher than 700 ms latency, for 2+ years i have been using this teamspeak. Also websites (such as this community forum) still hard to reach.  He want's to say because I am wireless that is the problem, when I tried to explain to him that even wired directly to the modem I get the same results... And then even try to sell me on the Gen5 upgrade... What is so hard to understand that if this is not working, how could you even expect us to want to upgrade?  Just because the modem says everything passed, and all green lights and a great gateway test (that has the latency average pings I USED to get) does not mean nothing is wrong, something is definitely wrong and we need help!

Actually, going back and looking at it, he just said he changed my beam, but it is still on beam 52.  So I'm guessing he just came to tell me nothing was wrong.  Now doing a Gateway test shows I have limited access to the gateway...  Of course it wouldn't show that when he was here.   I have a diagnostic code in my history, : 0000-4000-0000-0007  I don't know if that means anything or not.

Latest Gateway Test:

Packet Loss10%
Average Delay603 ms
Minimum Delay580 ms
Maximum Delay630 ms

You have limited connectivity to the gateway.

The latency at the gateway still sounds normal for what I'm used to just not experiencing that past it...
*Edit* at 15:52(3:52) I have a Yellow System Status, operational but in a degraded conditions

Hi BJager,

Thank you for letting me know what happened, I'm disappointed the tech did not do as I instructed. Fortunately your diagnostics aren't showing any current issue, but I wanted your dish repeaked in case engineering also thought that should be done first.

In any case, I'll keep an eye on your diagnostics. Let's continue with troubleshooting. I'd like to focus on websites not loading for you, when that happens please run three tests at testmy.net, and let me know on which website this slowdown is happening. Please also share screenshots of where you're determining a spike in latency.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Im sorry, I guess I edited my last post too many times it made it disappear and said it would reappear when it is approved... Is there any way for you to recover it as it says? I put some time into it and may not be able to recreate it with detail

*Edit* After refreshing to see if my previous post had showed back up that included screenshots, this page took about 5 mins to load up. Afterwards I did the 3 speed tests as mentioned and finally seeing a dip in download speed (which may seem normal to some still, but however way out of the norm for us)I did the 3 speed tests as mentioned and finally seeing a dip in download speed (which may seem normal to some still, but however way out of the norm for us)I did the 3 speed tests as mentioned and finally seeing a dip in download speed (which may seem normal to some still, but however way out of the norm for us)

http://testmy.net/quickstats/Brant%20Jager

Good morning BJager,

Thanks for posting back. I'm sorry, I forgot to take into account that you're on Gen 4, so I should have instructed you to use the 12 MB file size. However, even with the 25 MB file size, which we have Gen 5 customers use, you're still getting over your Prime plan speed, which is up to 10 Mbps for download.  You're free to try running more tests with the 12 MB file size if they show you are getting significantly low speeds for your Prime plan, at which point I may be able to escalate your case. Otherwise, your service performance is doing better than expected. 

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Congratulations, you are just like the braindead Hughesnet Guy that came now, telling me my service is working better than expected when I am TELLING YOU IT IS NOT WORKING!!!  YES !! The speedtest SAY THAT THE INTERNET IS WORKING BUT IT IS NOT WORKING! You're beginning to piss the whole family off, you already have lost $$$$ Money by us even having to pay Verizon money for extra data to "mobile hotspot" to even post on your "community" forum, because I am fed up waiting just to even see if one of you replied.. just to get told it's working better than expected..  Why would I come here to make a big DEAL? You think I have nothing better with my life to do than to come and lie? I have been working with consistent speeds and latency for 2+ year, then one day it just up and vanished for all devices in the house.... EVEN wired directly into the modem it doesnt make a difference.  It is getting ridiculous, you do NOT come and tell me the service is working better than expected if it is NOT! Please escalate this... We haven't hardly been able to use it for over a month we should even be credited..  My mom is is even trying to get ahold of her Liver Transplant coordinator that only communicates thru email, and he was already gone when she finally got service today... So you're telling everythings working ok!? sure

You won't even acknowledge if you seen my post that I spent so much time on, taking screenshots and explaining each picture and what they were, because your message board deleted it and said it had to be approved before it would reappear.. It had information that you asked for prior to running the 3 tests when the internet hung up on me

Listen, I'm sorry I lost my cool.. It's just really frustrating to be told it is working as it should be, escpecially yesterday by some guy You sent, who did not do as instructed and had to ask me if he was informative when I lost my cool on him  and told him to leave just as he was fixing to leave the house too after deciding after the speed tests nothing was wrong.  I appologize again, trying to be civil and move on from that hiccup..

So I woke up yesterday being told it was working good as expected, wake up today to hear the same thing again.  When I can tell something is wrong.   Here are provided more screenshots of it "hanging up" on me, and not loading emails.  And a picture from my mothers phone of her Facebook ( I instructed her to take a screenshot of everything, lastnight.) This will just be 1 screenshot so far from her.  But it happens all the time for her as well she said since we started noticing a problem with our internet.  And the fact that she couldn't e-mail her Liver Transplant coordinator in time before the doctor stepped out of the office early ( I guess because of Christmas? would make sense)My computer, just after reading my hughesnet is working better than expected for Gen4, couldn't even get this e-mail to loadMy computer, just after reading my hughesnet is working better than expected for Gen4, couldn't even get this e-mail to loadMom's FB, may not be the best screenshot of proof as Facebook a little funny, but expect more screenshots I told her to take pictures of EVERYTHING failing while connected to Hughesnet.  Unfortunately she's on AT&T that does not work here, so she doesn't have the option to turn Wi-Fi off and just use good cellular data Like I can since I own a Verizon that has full serviceMom's FB, may not be the best screenshot of proof as Facebook a little funny, but expect more screenshots I told her to take pictures of EVERYTHING failing while connected to Hughesnet. Unfortunately she's on AT&T that does not work here, so she doesn't have the option to turn Wi-Fi off and just use good cellular data Like I can since I own a Verizon that has full service

This just in, mom gave me a little extra info.  When the Hughes Tech called yesterday morning, he couldn't even hear her speak for the Hughesnet Phone cutting in and out also (Hey, just like my Teamspeak does, who would of thought), now why that didn't throw a red flag at the Tech I don't know.  If the satellites latency is too high to even use your phone, what gives?  Now she is trying to order grandma flowers and she wasn't able to, and they could not hear her when she tried to call off of Hughesnet phone.

Here is a small comparison between my Verizon Mobile Hotspot and Hughesnet.  2 Computers, and laptop plugged directly into Hughesnet modem and actually getting higher Latency spike than I was connected via Wi-FiHere is a small comparison between my Verizon Mobile Hotspot and Hughesnet. 2 Computers, and laptop plugged directly into Hughesnet modem and actually getting higher Latency spike than I was connected via Wi-FiMom wanted me to throw this bit of information at you for what it is worth.  Hughesnet phone obviously having problems as well (I never use the phone so is why I had no idea till now) I just knew that calling yourself on the Hughesnet Phone would allow the latency to go back to normal zone in what we are used to, and even helped the downloading speed of websites and suchMom wanted me to throw this bit of information at you for what it is worth. Hughesnet phone obviously having problems as well (I never use the phone so is why I had no idea till now) I just knew that calling yourself on the Hughesnet Phone would allow the latency to go back to normal zone in what we are used to, and even helped the downloading speed of websites and such

After posting, get disconnected and it isn't wanting to come backAfter posting, get disconnected and it isn't wanting to come back

I would honestly feel better if you tech had done as you instructed.  We have been through bad weather, wind and hail (Had some shingles of the roof blow off, opposite side from where Hughesnet dish is sitting on roof.  We even went through Hurricane Harvey.. Considering all this, however though it still did not start messing up untill around a month ago and I do not recall any foul weather inbetween those times to cause it to go where it is now.. But with all that said, is my dish even in line? It's hard to know since Tech didn't even give it a look.. Had he done that, it would make me feel a little bit better, as in we're getting somewhere.

The download speeds appear great. I agree. But please explain the extreme latency.  It is that where the service is truly lost. It's an unstable speed

Please consider taking another look. I done 3 speed tests and suprisingly managed to catch 12/24/18 at 2:07 where the internet just totally stopped for several minutes before actually finishing.  That's what I seem to be getting all the time, it's just when it comes to doing speedtests I always catch it at the wrong time.  I will continue to do more 12mb speedtests and will add them to results as time goes on.

https://testmy.net/quickstats/Brant%20Jager

Ty
Merry Christmas

Hi BJager,

Thanks for the information and additional speed tests. I'm running new diagnostics on your site now to have a check.

TY.  I have spoke with a friend, who seems to think my problem is in the uplink..That I have a good downlink and a bad uplink, is this a possibility? Since using the cordless Hughesphone seems to establishes a better connection to the satellite. Not sure if it is, they are only trying to help because they have been there seeing me frustrated trying to talk to them on Teamspeak lol.

Is there a certain upload speed test I need to try to do as well?

Hi BJager,

After digging into the modem's recent state code history, I did see codes relating to transmission errors. I want to get your radio replaced, so I've dispatched a tech to do that.  Your dispatch is currently scheduled for our earliest available slot: Friday, Dec 29, 2017 between 11:00 AM - 2:00 PM . Call us at 866.347.3292 and reference case #108442035 if you need to reschedule.

Please let us know how the site visit goes.

Sad to report, that nobody showed up today, nor called to ask for directions if lost as some techs will do, or to make sure they got the right place. Set here waiting, it is now 5:24pm, pretty sure nobody is showing up by now.   And today would have been the most perfect day for a tech to come check out what the internet is doing, I just had to connect to my Verizon mobile hotspot to even reach the page... All day I have tried to refresh this community.hughesnet.com post and it would never load. Always timed out..  testmy.net would load up, but as soon as you click download test and select the size, it would time out every single time.  Today has been far the worst day in service if it is even comparable to the already terrible service. Everything times out every time you try to load up something.  Here are some screenshotsThis here community post page timing out after countless refreshes.This here community post page timing out after countless refreshes.The only part of testmy.net that wouldn't load, the speedtest section...The only part of testmy.net that wouldn't load, the speedtest section...Even timing out trying to connect to the hughesnet modem!!!Even timing out trying to connect to the hughesnet modem!!!

Hello? Still waiting on a reply on as to why the Tech no called no show when you said he would had been here on the 29th of December 2017.  And today it seems internet does not work at all, at all.. All lights on modem are blue, but every device in the house says wifi is not working, even the computer thats plugged directly in.  Can't say for sure when that happened as I went to bed and it was working (barely, like it has been for 2 months now).  Please don't forget about me. Can't help but feel like you told me that Thursday that the next day a tech will be here, because that was our refresh date and start of a new month for you to get our money!  We shouldn't have to pay for service that is not any good! For over 2 months now!

When I say we haven't had good service, I think I'm being lenient on saying 2 months! Because I remember the effects starting in October! That was the end of our two-year contract! so since then we've basically have had worse than dialup service.  While downloads do work, (with most times having to pause and restart to make it complete).. Uploads are not and webpage loading worse than dialup. . It's just terrible, and we just need someone proper enough to take a look at this and not just tell me that nothing is wrong..  If it doesn't get taken care of soon we just actually will more than likely cancel service. And be with no internet! It's alot better than having to pay good money for terrible service...  The expensive monthly bill was ok when things worked ok for 2+ years but it's funny how after 2+ years after contract all of a sudden when Gen5 comes out our service is almost non existant and then 2 people have tried to get me to upgrade to Gen 5 with the excuse of even offering Gen 5 "well because the modem has Wi-Fi built into it, might fix your problem"... It's a joke.  This service MUST work if Gen5 is going to work. So can forget about upgrading to Gen 5.    I'm not saying this isn't a part of Hughesnet's plan, or that it is.  But I've seen no real course of action and have received no good help, just people telling me nothing is wrong with it.  Would be nice for it to go back to how it was before the contract ended, that is all I'm saying.
Thanks