Latency issues Gen 4 Sat

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BJager
Junior

Latency issues Gen 4 Sat

My original post disappeared, I'm sorry if it reappears I just really want this to be seen:

Hi all, having issues with my satellite. I am still on Gen4, 2 year contract just recently ended in October,roundabout, and service has been as good as you can expect out of satellite internet but just at or around a month ago our internet has just been unusable, you can tell by the data usage still being at 75% being this close to reset date lol. There's just too much going on to really troubleshoot it much. I am in Texas on Beam 52, EchoStar-XVII if that's of any help. I have taken notice to another post on this board of someone having very similiar problems as I am: (https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Insane-latency-over-the-last-week/td-p/88932/page/5 ) There on page 5 his issues are "temporarily" fixed if he is on the hughesnet phone, same as me. I have tried testing the gateway through the modem, latency there looks as it should be.. But otherwise like my teamspeak is spiking at 1k-5k latency, I cut in and out, can take 45 seconds for them to hear the words "What's up" and according to them I even have alien-like sounds transmitting when I try to speak, but if I pick the phone up and call my cellphone and leave it running everything is back to normal, soon as I hang up it's over with. I've even tried bypassing the phone box that goes inline with modem and router still nothing.
Web browsing is almost non existent in most cases, I have atleast managed to browse here to make this post though. In the past I have had 2 brand new routers mysteriously go bad while being hooked up to Hughesnet, so I tried another new router, to no improvement because unfortunately im too far from the box have to use wi-fi (in the past would fix problem).

I have ran speedtests, but for the most part they aren't showing anything wrong, It seems like the speedtests scare my internet into working. But I have noticed a few hangups while attempting them. The only thing I have tried that seemed to work but I haven't actually got to fully test it out was being plugged directly into the modem on my laptop, it did seem to work normal then, but for the rest of the devices in the house I just don't have that option to use wire. I have a testmy.net account ready to go and willing to follow instructions on anything to hopefully better improving this because as I said for past month it really is unusable, and it is hard to keep track of everything I've done to troubleshoot my problem so please bear with me, I'm sure this post is jumbled up I appologize, just know I tried and thank you for any input you may have Smiley Happy

PS. I'd like to note that late one night I did call Hughesnet, spoke with a Rep and they were saying everything was ok on their end from what they could see, even offered Gen5. lol. But we were going to do some speed tests but I was actually on the hughesphone when I forgot and unplugged the phone to get ready for a direct wire.. I decided to call it a night after that was so frustrating

*EDIT* http://testmy.net/quickstats/Brant%20Jager are the results of my 25 mb speedtests spaced atleast 5 mins apart plugged directly to the modem.  In my opinion, nothing seems wrong in the speed tests unless there's something in the middle I'm not trained to see Smiley Happy  I also tried doing what I normally do on the laptop inbetween the tests to see if actually being wired in had any help on the latency and sadly not. I'm out of ideas please if I need to do any different tests, or do them at different time slot let me know. Anything to get a light at the end of the tunnel Smiley Happy Also to add, I have to use my mobile hotspot 99% of the time to do anything and there's no issues connecting to it via Wi-Fi, all good latency so surely my adapter isn't gone out.

77 REPLIES 77

Good morning BJager,

Thank you for this information, I can send this over to our VOIP team. Regarding latency, where are you getting your stats? Please provide screenshots so engineering has that for reference as well.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Hello,

I have been getting these latency stats where I have got them from the beginning of our satellite contract. I have provided these screenshots before but post got deleted for some strange reason.  I will post again, because I am still getting these same exact results.

This is Teamspeak.. This is my resting average latency without trying to speak, or have anyone speak to me.  In AFK channelThis is Teamspeak.. This is my resting average latency without trying to speak, or have anyone speak to me. In AFK channelThis is Teamspeak as soon as I key down to speak it will spike immediately.This is Teamspeak as soon as I key down to speak it will spike immediately.This is my Video Game. The only game I ever been able to play on Hughesnet with no problem at all! Untill these issues came along, now it is unplayable.This is my Video Game. The only game I ever been able to play on Hughesnet with no problem at all! Untill these issues came along, now it is unplayable.In This picture, 2 computers are connected.  One to HughesNet, and the other computer to Verizon Mobile hotspot.  I'm spying on my client connected to Hughesnet check the Latency out ***ALSO PLEASE NOTE THIS WAS DIRECTLY PLUGGED INTO MODEM NO WI-FI INVOLVED**In This picture, 2 computers are connected. One to HughesNet, and the other computer to Verizon Mobile hotspot. I'm spying on my client connected to Hughesnet check the Latency out ***ALSO PLEASE NOTE THIS WAS DIRECTLY PLUGGED INTO MODEM NO WI-FI INVOLVED**

Hi BJager, 

Thanks for the screenshots and additional information, BJager. I'll include these in my escalation to engineering. I'll post back once I have any additional instructions or news to share.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@Liz, you may have missed this due to the holidays and J2 outage:

@BJager wrote:

Hello? Still waiting on a reply on as to why the Tech no called no show when you said he would had been here on the 29th of December 2017.  And today it seems internet does not work at all, at all.. All lights on modem are blue, but every device in the house says wifi is not working, even the computer thats plugged directly in.  Can't say for sure when that happened as I went to bed and it was working (barely, like it has been for 2 months now).  Please don't forget about me. Can't help but feel like you told me that Thursday that the next day a tech will be here, because that was our refresh date and start of a new month for you to get our money!  We shouldn't have to pay for service that is not any good! For over 2 months now!

Yes! every time I call Hughesnet they tell me everything looks great on there end and that it must be my router. I have purchased 2 routers, Linsys and Belkin. Same issues. Today phone guy (who was very hard to hear - quiet voice) said to get on Hughesnet.com for recommendations of suggested routers. So after plugging my laptop directly into the modem - because NO WIFI - I have the spinning wheel of death for 10 minutes, then when I find FAQ, it says "we will not recommend a router, it is based on too many factors." Right now the only way I can use my internet is to plug each device directly into the modem and even that is slow. 

here is my current "with Hughesnet use your internet wherever" set up.  I guess wherever means length of your connector. 20180128_151032_resized.jpg20180128_151121_resized (1).jpg

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@lorikesinger

If you would like help with your issue, please start a new topic in the Tech Support section.  

You can do so here...   https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/TechSupport 

Thank you Liz.

I would also like to apply additional screenshots, another source of latency spikes.  Since my last post where I provided those screenshots we have quit using Teamspeak and moved to Discord.  In this Discord I do manage a better latency than Teamspeak. Even more so on my cellphone which is not the problem however, the latency is still very similiar as in the way they act consistently between multiple platforms that measure latency. The latency still instantly spikes when trying to Push-To-Talk. Just like it was before..  If my latency isn't spiked, that brief second I try to talk they can hear me but estimated 1 second and a half later it will spike and all communication is lost.
Discord Latency. Sitting idle in channel not speaking or anyone else speaking. But if someone does speak it doesn't spike when they speak.
Discord Latency spike as soon as I key down to talk, or aka Push-To-Talk

Will say again, incase it trys to get mentioned again. Internet being wired/wireless has no effect on what happens. Same issue wired or wireless. Also have tried a new power block to plug everything into, and also plugged in seperately to the wall.  We've had a Dish Alignment, new radio mounted on dish, and new modem installed. We've had some improvements with all that has been done but not by a significant factor. It's still not like it was, when we weren't complaining. 🙂

Also, PS... I will note that I always speak about the latency spiking when I try to Push-To-Talk, but I have even observed the latency spike just by clicking refresh on a webpage.. Anything that involves with signal being transmitted between the sats.  Only when it's idle and you're not doing much of anything does it go back down to 1000-1200ms average when we used to not ever go above 740ms on a laggy day. On good days it was always around 640-670ms. Which I was very happy with for satellite, couldn't get much better than that it was awesome then.  Sorry for keeping on just trying to be informative. Just trying to cover all bases...  Also, the latency won't spike when they speak, only when I do.
Discord Latency. Sitting idle in channel not speaking or anyone else speaking.  But if someone does speak it doesn't spike when they speak.Discord Latency. Sitting idle in channel not speaking or anyone else speaking. But if someone does speak it doesn't spike when they speak.Discord Latency  spike as soon as I key down to talk, or aka Push-To-TalkDiscord Latency spike as soon as I key down to talk, or aka Push-To-Talk
Thank you

Thanks BJager for the additional information. Checking with an engineer about Discord.

Hi BJager,

Curious, have you tried disabling the "Enable Quality of Service High Packet Priority" option in your Discord Voice and Video settings? Does that make a difference? I was just testing this out on our HughesNet system here (albeit on Gen 5) and we weren't able to reproduce those high latency spikes you're seeing. When we started talking at length, the latency would go up to around 2000ms, but that's about as high as it went. 

Yes, I have tried so many things it's just mind boggling how this happened over night, a while back ago now... Back in October before  we had the latency issues, even speaking at lengths at a time our latency never got above 740ms..  Sounds like you guys are having some issues too if you are reaching 2000ms by speaking at lengths.  As mentioned before on previous post, on a laggy day at peak times rarely did it ever go above 740ms.  Are you guys actually able to communicate with no loss of audio, cutting in and out at that 2000ms?

It's the only reason I am here as I'm not used to seeing this behavior. I never even got a spike at 2000ms as you guys have said when I used to speak at lengths.  I guess if I knew the beam was overloaded or something that it would atleast give me something to go by and could be somewhat understandable but it just happened overnight and hasn't been the same since. 

Actually now here to report that it is acting alot better than ever! My game is even working and apparently they are hearing me on Discord today.. Yesterday I didn't have this result at all I would cut in and out and turn robotic sounding.. My latency is still spiking though, even with that setting disabled but  today they have been hearing me just fine with that setting enabled or disabled... there's a couple occasions where it will go back to unusuable but now but today it seems pretty good. It's still not what it used to be but the fact theres any improvement at all is hope

Right, we were still able to hold a conversation on Discord. We just observed the latency going up to ~2000ms after a while, but we could still hear each other. There were no drops in the middle of the conversation.

The past two days, it finally seemed like it was actually trying to get better.  (The first two days ever since the beginning of October when this started)

The day I responded and said that things were getting better and people were able to hear me on Discord, I would describe it as 45 minutes after that post was made the internet "fell on its face" and did not return untill the next day.  So Day 1, about 12pm-3pm... Day 2 was a little better, 12pm-7pm. Day 3 today, all gone. Keep in mind when it was "acting better" even websites were loading better.  Now today, it has been nothing but all bad. They can still hear me on discord but now the webloading is horrible. It's strange I just did a Hughesnet speedtest after doing a slow Hughesnet Webresponse that read I had 23mbit download, and a 1.56 mbit upload.  Why in the world am I getting those speeds if you can't even see it in loading webpages I don't know.    The hughesnet WebResponse test states 6.1 seconds but I will have you know, that it took a good 2 1/2 minutes for the results to actually show up. So really it was more than 6.1 seconds but we'll just go with what it says I guess.

It states 6.1 seconds but took a good 2 1/2 minute before results actually showed up.It states 6.1 seconds but took a good 2 1/2 minute before results actually showed up.

Between refreshing this community thread, then having to relogin because you can't reply, then having to get to the page again today was a nightmare and very frustrating.

There's a glimmer of hope that there has been any improvement at all, but something just keeps making the internet fall on it's face and it just doesn't seem to know how to recover it. 

I'm running out of suggestions.  I'm now wondering if maybe trees have finally grown infront of the dish (within 2 years of having it)

2+ years ago on install day they pointed the dish kind of into the tops of some trees that were probably 100ft away.  Giving that was 2 years ago I assume that is a possibility.  I been waiting on a non windy day so I can turn my dish off (so no send and recieve) and get my Drone up there to get an aerial perspective to maybe see from that side of the trees if the dish is clearing or not.. The past few techs that have been out here don't seem to think those trees are a problem, however or they just did not want to think about having to move it as the roof on the house is steep. I'm not sure.  I got behind the dish yesterday and looked at the top of those trees and from that perspective it does appear that the dish is going right into the tops of those trees now (2 years ago it looked like it cleared the tops just barely).  These trees are in a very bad location to just cut down.  They are on a steep incline, and beneath that incline is a highway.  The trees if cut would probably land in the highway.

There is another spot on the roof, that is up even higher that seems like it would have been a better view of the sky, and probably should have been it's first location to begin with.  But to move the dish would mean running longer cable.. And just seems like alot of work.  I'm out of suggestions,  and only trying to think of everything that could have suddenly effected the satellite. I personally would think if the trees are messing up the satellite it would reflect in the signal strength.. But I am seeing 116 even 120 signal strength. What I don''t know however is if maybe it's getting good signal but the tops of the trees are bending the signal.  What is your input on that?

Thanks

Here is my satellites perspective.satperspective.png  Techs haven't seen it as an issue but with no idea of what's going on I'm running out of suggestions.

But usually in the past, winter time was our best time for service.  It was during the spring and summer time that everything worked a tad bit slower but always worked great compared to how it is now.

Today is even worse than yesterday. Absolutely unusable and honestly unacceptable.  There for few days seemed like things were going to get better but now the internet is going right back down the drain as the days go by again.  This time, I have a screenshot of the internal gateway showing some issues.  (It has always been saying I getting good latency now multiple times in a row did it show me these same high numbers, but of course I bet by time you get this message and go into my site and check I'm sure then it will tell you everything is working normally.

It still is not showing much of a problem in speed tests, today the speed test went to 16.79 download and 1.24 upload, versus yesterdays tests.  Even the page response test turned back 2.1 seconds, but the actual web surfing is even longer than it was yesterday. But yesterdays web response yielded 6.1 seconds... It took me all of an hour to get those few small simple steps completed.  I was trying to write this post on the satellite but waiting 5-10 minutes for the page to load, to the pages timing out and having to "Retry"
to hit reply I couldn't handle it anymore and had to switch to my Verizon Mobile to make a post.

In my opinion all these tests are pointless. They do not back my story up. Except the web response, it someonewhat is trying to tell my story but still a big lie as it is more than 6.1 seconds for a page to turn up.  I would gladly record my browsing experience if anyone has a suggestion on what to use to record to try to prove and how to send it in. These tests show good signs but when it comes to actually clicking a page and loading it.  I really don't have nothing to prove to anyone but by goly I sure do wished I could prove this.  This is starting to make me feel crazy....

I'm just going to post a few more screenshots

Multiple times today it kept giving me these same results while webpages are timing out, taking 5-10 minutes to load.Multiple times today it kept giving me these same results while webpages are timing out, taking 5-10 minutes to load.The dreaded timeout that keeps happening even after "Try Again" and even closing browser all the way out and reopening it.The dreaded timeout that keeps happening even after "Try Again" and even closing browser all the way out and reopening it.

GabeU

@BJager

Though there certainly are occasional things that can cause packet loss, like bad weather at your location or your gateway's location, with your system's track record it's a little worrying. 

Hopefully, when she's back on Monday, Liz will be able to dig a little deeper, or have the engineers do so, to figure out just what is going on.

Regarding the tree, though it seems like it would be it may not really be in the way (at least not now), as the look angle of the dish is actually a bit higher than what it appears. 

The picture below most likely isn't the same angle as your setup, but it will give you an idea of what I'm referring to, with the look angle being higher than the dish itself, or the radio arm, makes it appear.  

22-deg-offset.gif

@GabeUI see! Thanks! Yeah after seeing that picture it even makes sense now.  Just couldn't help but to throw it out there at the time just in case but at that angle I do believe it is clear.  Cool!  Yeah hopefully things will get better and we can figure it out once and for all.  I appreciate your response 🙂

GabeU

@BJager

You're welcome.  I actually had the exact same fear when I originally had Gen4 installed in early 2016.  I had a tree which I feared was in the way, and the dish seemed to be aimed right at the top of it.  It turned out that the look angle was actually about fifteen feet above where I thought it was at that distance.  

Conversely, when I upgraded to Gen5 in March 2017, I actually DID have a tree which would have been in the way, but I ended up cutting it down pretty easily.  It was just too tall, and it was tall enough that it was easy to see that it would have been in the way 100%. 

And now, the one in between the dish and the tree in the red circle that I cut down, which you can see in the picture, has grown by about 15 feet since last year, so it's going to have to come down this spring.  It's a black locust tree, which grows really quickly, as well as having really nasty, long thorns which catch you when you're going by on the lawn mower.  😛     

Tree I had to cut down in circleTree I had to cut down in circle

Decided I'd do another gateway test, roundabout 5 hours later.

Just going to leave this here:
Unusable. :(Unusable. 😞

An hour or two later, An hour or two later ...An hour or two later ...And a little bit of uplink history if relevant...And a little bit of uplink history if relevant...

Seen something else in the history about DNS acceleration failing too but seemed to be an isolated event. I'm not sure..

Good morning BJager,

Thank you for the additional information and screenshots. I've notified the engineers of the packet loss you're seeing. I'll let you know once I hear any news back from them.

Hi BJager, 

Spoke with engineering regarding your case, they will look into this further for you. We'll post back once there's news to share.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.