Latency issues Gen 4 Sat

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BJager
Junior

Latency issues Gen 4 Sat

My original post disappeared, I'm sorry if it reappears I just really want this to be seen:

Hi all, having issues with my satellite. I am still on Gen4, 2 year contract just recently ended in October,roundabout, and service has been as good as you can expect out of satellite internet but just at or around a month ago our internet has just been unusable, you can tell by the data usage still being at 75% being this close to reset date lol. There's just too much going on to really troubleshoot it much. I am in Texas on Beam 52, EchoStar-XVII if that's of any help. I have taken notice to another post on this board of someone having very similiar problems as I am: (https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Insane-latency-over-the-last-week/td-p/88932/page/5 ) There on page 5 his issues are "temporarily" fixed if he is on the hughesnet phone, same as me. I have tried testing the gateway through the modem, latency there looks as it should be.. But otherwise like my teamspeak is spiking at 1k-5k latency, I cut in and out, can take 45 seconds for them to hear the words "What's up" and according to them I even have alien-like sounds transmitting when I try to speak, but if I pick the phone up and call my cellphone and leave it running everything is back to normal, soon as I hang up it's over with. I've even tried bypassing the phone box that goes inline with modem and router still nothing.
Web browsing is almost non existent in most cases, I have atleast managed to browse here to make this post though. In the past I have had 2 brand new routers mysteriously go bad while being hooked up to Hughesnet, so I tried another new router, to no improvement because unfortunately im too far from the box have to use wi-fi (in the past would fix problem).

I have ran speedtests, but for the most part they aren't showing anything wrong, It seems like the speedtests scare my internet into working. But I have noticed a few hangups while attempting them. The only thing I have tried that seemed to work but I haven't actually got to fully test it out was being plugged directly into the modem on my laptop, it did seem to work normal then, but for the rest of the devices in the house I just don't have that option to use wire. I have a testmy.net account ready to go and willing to follow instructions on anything to hopefully better improving this because as I said for past month it really is unusable, and it is hard to keep track of everything I've done to troubleshoot my problem so please bear with me, I'm sure this post is jumbled up I appologize, just know I tried and thank you for any input you may have Smiley Happy

PS. I'd like to note that late one night I did call Hughesnet, spoke with a Rep and they were saying everything was ok on their end from what they could see, even offered Gen5. lol. But we were going to do some speed tests but I was actually on the hughesphone when I forgot and unplugged the phone to get ready for a direct wire.. I decided to call it a night after that was so frustrating

*EDIT* http://testmy.net/quickstats/Brant%20Jager are the results of my 25 mb speedtests spaced atleast 5 mins apart plugged directly to the modem.  In my opinion, nothing seems wrong in the speed tests unless there's something in the middle I'm not trained to see Smiley Happy  I also tried doing what I normally do on the laptop inbetween the tests to see if actually being wired in had any help on the latency and sadly not. I'm out of ideas please if I need to do any different tests, or do them at different time slot let me know. Anything to get a light at the end of the tunnel Smiley Happy Also to add, I have to use my mobile hotspot 99% of the time to do anything and there's no issues connecting to it via Wi-Fi, all good latency so surely my adapter isn't gone out.

77 REPLIES 77

Bump

I have Gen 5 and it is not good. Just done test, 3.34 download and 2.69 up. It has been bad for months.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@ultrafarmer wrote:

I have Gen 5 and it is not good. Just done test, 3.34 download and 2.69 up. It has been bad for months.

The only way you'll get individual help here for speed issues is if you perform the tests described below then post results in your own new topic. This is assuming it isn't related to an issue they are already aware of and working on.

To help the Hughesnet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, you should create a testmy.net account and perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day. Then share the account results link with us here.

Please keep in mind that Hughesnet will only accept testmy.net and the official Hughesnet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-use the 12MB size download test file ONLY if on Gen4 Service Plan
-use the 25MB size download test file ONLY if on Gen5 Service Plan

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

Thx Birddog for trying to help draw attention here I really appreciate it!
I suprisingly just got a call from a tech, he's several days late but lol he said he is on his way.  This was about 30 minutes ago, so maybe this time something will be done and I will post back here the results!

Thx again man 🙂

Well the guy came, same guy as last time and he was actually pretty helpful this time. Was thankful he came and tried his best.  He realigned my dish, got a very small increase (looking at his screen was like a 101.9 to a 102) but unfortunately it still seems to be where it was before.  He didn't replace the radio as you said he would though but he did mention that he didn't have any more radios on him, and according to his tests everything showed up good for him so he left it at that.  I do appreciate the fact he actually did something this time, but I will monitor it closely and see if it does indeed improve over time but so far as it is still having the same issues.    I don't think he looked at all the diagnostic codes before he reset the modem though which I wish he would have checked..   But now we know my dish is alligned perfectly so if this doesn't improve by tomorrow, hopefully we can go another route to fix the internet, maybe replace the radio next time.  I will post back soon.

@BJager

I am a Gen 4 user and I am in the same boat. Albeit not as bad as yours. However after reasearching it is deffinitely a bad Uplink problem. Downlink is good Uplink is bad. As you stated it seemed to have started a few months ago or so. I have been in the process of trying to get it fixed to no avail. I wish I could have gotten mine running right again, maybe use that to lead you in the right direction of getting it fixed. Unfortunately, I have been slowly losing my pateince. I can barely browse the web that are media heavy. Facebook, Youtube, and video game websites. They time out or just don't load. Or refresh the page 10-15 times just to get it to load. I also cannot connect properly to Xbox Live to update my Xbox and download updates and Downloadable Content for my games. I can get on live but as soon as something starts downloading or loading any kind of video or media I get Uplink errors almost non-stop. as soon as I let it run idle it goes back to normal and I can load a web page or download something but after a few minutes it starts back up again.

I was told the same thing. I ran all tests, all showed good upload and download speeds. That I know isn't the problem. There seems to be a more underlying problem that they just 1: don't seem to want to fix. 2: Can't fix or 3: Don't know how to identify the problem. I understand your frustration I have been a Hughesnet user since 2008-2009 or something like that. In ways I think it worked more consitently back then pre-Gen4. It did have it's problems, but was always consistent. If there was a problem it fixed itself or powercycling the modem fixed the problem.

I just don't want this current problem to be my theory of Hughesnet purposely degrading Gen4 to force us to upgrade to Gen5. With everything as far as diagnostics looking good on my end and their end, but I still have connection issues to the internet. There is deffinitely something wrong. Bad enough this is my only option for internet.

I was having same issues.  Someone came out and suggested I buy a N300 wireless router to fix it.  I opted to get a better one for same price.  Got a T-Link 1750 AC7 or whatever it was.  DID NOT fix a thing.  I was also constantly offered the Gen 5 and told would fix the issue. 

I finally broke down and got Gen 5 and have same issues.  NOT HAPPY that I am now locked into a new plan for 2 years and still have crappy internet.  Have to pause videos to let it fully load or partially load so can watch the darn thing in low quality.  i have seen that blue shark so many times when on gen 4 I can not count.  I also had issues trying to do speed tests but when they worked it as all good, go figure.  Funny how it all started After my 2 years was up.  I didn't actually report it until about a month ago as I thought could have been weather ...... but it wasn't.

Val

Thanks guys for your input, while it is unfortunate for us all I do feel somewhat better I'm not the only one with similar issues. I understand the patience wearing thin, I can hardly even bring myself to post back here but since we are paying for the service I feel as though I should try to do atleast something. It's just hard to deal with them saying it is nothing wrong with it, and everytime the audacity to even mention Gen5 upgrade, I wont even begin to go where that takes me you can just imagine how I feel about it. I won't get myself involved in that trap, as val said even the upgrade didn't work and I knew that it wouldn't, I atleast have the luxury of opting out any time I want as we are not in contract anymore and untill Gen4 will work I won't get myself caught in that trap of contract renewal. Even if Hughes is my only option, which they are other than Cellphone,  I would rather cancel them, and give my money to Verizon and use their hotspotting as I get full 4G LTE from them in my location.  But at the same time if they could just acknowledge the problem and fix it I would gladly continue on, that is the only reason I've held on as long as I have, giving them a chance... And it does seem that I am beginning to talk to myself here. I was thinking it was just because of the Holidays which is understandable but I think they are long gone now so where are the replies...

@Liz, these issues have yet to be resolved. After tech realigned dish we are still having problems.. Can we move to the next step of troubleshooting please?

Yeah, I havn't heard back from them in a couple weeks now. Last time I made contact was just after Christmas. It has been silence since then. Kinda sucks, not sure what to do now.

Hi BJager,

Thank you for your updates. I'm sorry the tech didn't go out as initially scheduled, glad to hear he did make it out to your site after all. Currently your diagnostics look fine. I'm going to dig into your state code history to see if I can see anything useful, and if not I'll send up to engineering for their input.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Ok Thank you for your reply.  At the moment I am on Hughes trying to reply... Having a very hard time loading the page up it's very stressful... And prior to that I couldn't even load a 7 second video I sent to someone on Facebook.  The internet is really bad right now.  And as one of the things you told me to do in the very beginning, I tried to do a speedtest to prove it, but it won't finish the test to actually log a result so I can't prove it's bad which is frustrating... When it does log a results it appears fine to you guys but no one ever talks about the failed results because they yeild no results to prove anything being wrong...

Hi BJager,

I'm still seeing some state codes that concern me. I'm trying to get another dispatch set up via our installations department here at corporate to ensure that we get your radio and modem replaced. I'll let you know once I get an update on this dispatch from installations.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Awesome news! Sigh of relief not the same run around! lol I really appreciate your help, will be sitting back and waiting. Thank you have a blessed day 🙂

@Lizcan you please check on this? Almost a week later and no help or word from anybody! And internet is still no good!  I keep getting a message from (936)298-6703 stating, "Please contact us to schedule your un-scheduled HughesNet satellite internet appointment. We have an address of: 1234 Address here, Texas..   With no number to contact, I assume the phone number the text came from is sufficient so I call and get a very rude person who is obviously upset she has to answer the phone who just keeps hanging up on me. Can you please check on this and make sure someone is coming to fix us! We are nearing WAAAY to long with unusable internet and are still paying full price this is highway robbery... Very unsatisfied... It's been since October since the satellelite has worked correctly! Come on please!

Hi BJager,

Thanks for letting me know, I'm sorry to hear this. I've sent this to our installs dept, as they created this particular dispatch.

Edit:

Got a quick reply: That number is correct. Please try it again-- state that you want to schedule the repair order, and reference FSO 8327125.

Ok, I gave them a call back. It's very very hard to understand what they are saying, she said she was looking at my account and then at the end of a bunch of static I hear that "we cant process this so we will have to call back" so fingers crossed we will get a call back. If not I guess call again tomorrow

Good morning BJager,

Thanks for the update. I'll keep our installs department abreast of the situation, as well.

I don't know why my posts I post, that come in great detail always get deleted... But the tech came today and replaced modem and radio, with a slight improvement in the upload speed but still are having terrible problems... Any other troubleshooting ideas?

After some time, having the radio and modem replaced I have noticed some improvements. Thank you.  We don't seem to time out as much anymore. But latency is still high 1k-3kms.  We are having trouble with people still hearing us through the Hughesnet phone though. Like the same exact issues I have been having with speaking on Teamspeak on the computer.

Just curious, if this is the new normal for satellite latency, and could  using the HughesNet phone put our account under priority, while phone being used, could that lead to  hence why latency and speeds go back to what we are used to, untill we hang up?

Hi BJager,

Since we addressed the internet performance, we can now tackle any HughesNet Voice concerns. To get started, please start a new thread and provide the following information so we can better address your concern.

When exactly did the issue start?

Please describe the call quality (do you sound like you're cutting in and out, is there an echo, is there static, etc.-- how exactly is it difficult for the other person to understand you?)

Does this happen on a corded or cordless phone?

What is your ATA's MAC address (it's on the label on the bottom)?

Does this happen on every outgoing call?

Does this happen on every incoming call?

Do you hear the person on the other line OK?

Does this happen with different dialed/received callers?

If you have another phone to test, does it persist on that phone? (Is that alternate phone corded or cordless?)

Please ensure your ATA is set up like this, with the ATA connected to the HughesNet modem first, then the router. 

Connections with Wireless Router.png

Double-check that all connections between the ATA and modem are properly seated; make sure the connectors click into place.

Test calls with only the ATA connected to the modem (no router or PC plugged into the ATA), does the issue persist?

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

I'm pretty sure I said something near the start of this thread that the phone started having issues at the SAME time the internet has.  And as soon as I posted the other day about not timing out, what will you know..Luck as it (or lack thereof) The internet has been back at it again timing out on just about everything.  There's times where it's good, and times where it's horrible.  I wouldn't consider horrible to be a part of peak or congestion whatever you may call it because horrible can happen at any hour, day, minute, second.And horrible would translate to as: unusable, till it clears up. I do not feel as if there needs to be a new thread, because I strongly believe the reason the phone doesn't work well is because the internet does not and because the problems occured together!

When exactly did the issue start?

--Around October, the time our contract ended and our latency mysteriously went from 640ms old  average to a new resting at 1500ms to anywhere with peaks of 5k ms

Please describe the call quality (do you sound like you're cutting in and out, is there an echo, is there static, etc.-- how exactly is it difficult for the other person to understand you?)

The call quality, We can hear the other people on the phone just fine.  The difficulty of them understanding us, is us cutting in and out, there are echos, there is static, there is all of the above. Except one additional feature, sometimes they wont even hear you at all!   (These issues are the same exact issues I am having on the computer trying to talk on Teamspeak, if I need to remind again..)

Does this happen on a corded or cordless phone?

--Cordless phone.  Worked fine till internet stopped working correctly.

What is your ATA's MAC address (it's on the label on the bottom)?

-- MAC Address: B0FAEB328160

Does this happen on every outgoing call?

--Yes

Does this happen on every incoming call?

--Yes

Do you hear the person on the other line OK?

--Yes

Does this happen with different dialed/received callers?

--Happens with anyone, does not matter

If you have another phone to test, does it persist on that phone? (Is that alternate phone corded or cordless?)

--No other phone to test, but it was tested at a friends house that actually has a phone through the phone company and it works fine.

Please ensure your ATA is set up like this, with the ATA connected to the HughesNet modem first, then the router. 

--The ATA is plugged directly into the modem (the modem we got now, now puts out Wi-Fi, so we bypassed the router because the built in gives better signal than our previous router but we did this in hopes that it would speed the internet up since noone seems to admit that something is still wrong... Please don't make me admit that we've adressed the internet performance when we're still not happy with it.  And please read everything I typed.  I know you have got to be sick of me but I really don't want to be here either!

I have also previously noted that I directly removed the ATA box before(to dismiss it being the cause of internet problems)  Just the Modem and satellite running, and had no affect on the latency. The only difference then is I couldn't call myself anymore to temporarily fix my internet service.  It's just so weird that you can call yourself from the phone and the internet works like it used to. (Latency can read 5000ms and can call yourself, and it will go back down to 640ms) I can't get over that fact.....