cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency issues Gen 4 Sat

Junior

Re: Latency issues Gen 4 Sat

After some time, having the radio and modem replaced I have noticed some improvements. Thank you.  We don't seem to time out as much anymore. But latency is still high 1k-3kms.  We are having trouble with people still hearing us through the Hughesnet phone though. Like the same exact issues I have been having with speaking on Teamspeak on the computer.

Just curious, if this is the new normal for satellite latency, and could  using the HughesNet phone put our account under priority, while phone being used, could that lead to  hence why latency and speeds go back to what we are used to, untill we hang up?

Hi BJager,

Since we addressed the internet performance, we can now tackle any HughesNet Voice concerns. To get started, please start a new thread and provide the following information so we can better address your concern.

When exactly did the issue start?

Please describe the call quality (do you sound like you're cutting in and out, is there an echo, is there static, etc.-- how exactly is it difficult for the other person to understand you?)

Does this happen on a corded or cordless phone?

What is your ATA's MAC address (it's on the label on the bottom)?

Does this happen on every outgoing call?

Does this happen on every incoming call?

Do you hear the person on the other line OK?

Does this happen with different dialed/received callers?

If you have another phone to test, does it persist on that phone? (Is that alternate phone corded or cordless?)

Please ensure your ATA is set up like this, with the ATA connected to the HughesNet modem first, then the router. 

Connections with Wireless Router.png

Double-check that all connections between the ATA and modem are properly seated; make sure the connectors click into place.

Test calls with only the ATA connected to the modem (no router or PC plugged into the ATA), does the issue persist?

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Junior

I'm pretty sure I said something near the start of this thread that the phone started having issues at the SAME time the internet has.  And as soon as I posted the other day about not timing out, what will you know..Luck as it (or lack thereof) The internet has been back at it again timing out on just about everything.  There's times where it's good, and times where it's horrible.  I wouldn't consider horrible to be a part of peak or congestion whatever you may call it because horrible can happen at any hour, day, minute, second.And horrible would translate to as: unusable, till it clears up. I do not feel as if there needs to be a new thread, because I strongly believe the reason the phone doesn't work well is because the internet does not and because the problems occured together!

When exactly did the issue start?

--Around October, the time our contract ended and our latency mysteriously went from 640ms old  average to a new resting at 1500ms to anywhere with peaks of 5k ms

Please describe the call quality (do you sound like you're cutting in and out, is there an echo, is there static, etc.-- how exactly is it difficult for the other person to understand you?)

The call quality, We can hear the other people on the phone just fine.  The difficulty of them understanding us, is us cutting in and out, there are echos, there is static, there is all of the above. Except one additional feature, sometimes they wont even hear you at all!   (These issues are the same exact issues I am having on the computer trying to talk on Teamspeak, if I need to remind again..)

Does this happen on a corded or cordless phone?

--Cordless phone.  Worked fine till internet stopped working correctly.

What is your ATA's MAC address (it's on the label on the bottom)?

-- MAC Address: B0FAEB328160

Does this happen on every outgoing call?

--Yes

Does this happen on every incoming call?

--Yes

Do you hear the person on the other line OK?

--Yes

Does this happen with different dialed/received callers?

--Happens with anyone, does not matter

If you have another phone to test, does it persist on that phone? (Is that alternate phone corded or cordless?)

--No other phone to test, but it was tested at a friends house that actually has a phone through the phone company and it works fine.

Please ensure your ATA is set up like this, with the ATA connected to the HughesNet modem first, then the router. 

--The ATA is plugged directly into the modem (the modem we got now, now puts out Wi-Fi, so we bypassed the router because the built in gives better signal than our previous router but we did this in hopes that it would speed the internet up since noone seems to admit that something is still wrong... Please don't make me admit that we've adressed the internet performance when we're still not happy with it.  And please read everything I typed.  I know you have got to be sick of me but I really don't want to be here either!

I have also previously noted that I directly removed the ATA box before(to dismiss it being the cause of internet problems)  Just the Modem and satellite running, and had no affect on the latency. The only difference then is I couldn't call myself anymore to temporarily fix my internet service.  It's just so weird that you can call yourself from the phone and the internet works like it used to. (Latency can read 5000ms and can call yourself, and it will go back down to 640ms) I can't get over that fact.....

Good morning BJager,

Thank you for this information, I can send this over to our VOIP team. Regarding latency, where are you getting your stats? Please provide screenshots so engineering has that for reference as well.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Junior

Hello,

I have been getting these latency stats where I have got them from the beginning of our satellite contract. I have provided these screenshots before but post got deleted for some strange reason.  I will post again, because I am still getting these same exact results.

TSLat.pngThis is Teamspeak.. This is my resting average latency without trying to speak, or have anyone speak to me. In AFK channelTSKeyDownLat.pngThis is Teamspeak as soon as I key down to speak it will spike immediately.VCOLat.pngThis is my Video Game. The only game I ever been able to play on Hughesnet with no problem at all! Untill these issues came along, now it is unplayable.hughesnetvsVerizon.pngIn This picture, 2 computers are connected. One to HughesNet, and the other computer to Verizon Mobile hotspot. I'm spying on my client connected to Hughesnet check the Latency out ***ALSO PLEASE NOTE THIS WAS DIRECTLY PLUGGED INTO MODEM NO WI-FI INVOLVED**

Spectator

Yes! every time I call Hughesnet they tell me everything looks great on there end and that it must be my router. I have purchased 2 routers, Linsys and Belkin. Same issues. Today phone guy (who was very hard to hear - quiet voice) said to get on Hughesnet.com for recommendations of suggested routers. So after plugging my laptop directly into the modem - because NO WIFI - I have the spinning wheel of death for 10 minutes, then when I find FAQ, it says "we will not recommend a router, it is based on too many factors." Right now the only way I can use my internet is to plug each device directly into the modem and even that is slow. 

here is my current "with Hughesnet use your internet wherever" set up.  I guess wherever means length of your connector. 20180128_151032_resized.jpg20180128_151121_resized (1).jpg

Hi BJager, 

Thanks for the screenshots and additional information, BJager. I'll include these in my escalation to engineering. I'll post back once I have any additional instructions or news to share.

Thanks,
Liz

Distinguished Professor IV

@lorikesinger

If you would like help with your issue, please start a new topic in the Tech Support section.  

You can do so here...   https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/TechSupport 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Junior

Thank you Liz.

I would also like to apply additional screenshots, another source of latency spikes.  Since my last post where I provided those screenshots we have quit using Teamspeak and moved to Discord.  In this Discord I do manage a better latency than Teamspeak. Even more so on my cellphone which is not the problem however, the latency is still very similiar as in the way they act consistently between multiple platforms that measure latency. The latency still instantly spikes when trying to Push-To-Talk. Just like it was before..  If my latency isn't spiked, that brief second I try to talk they can hear me but estimated 1 second and a half later it will spike and all communication is lost.
Discord Latency. Sitting idle in channel not speaking or anyone else speaking. But if someone does speak it doesn't spike when they speak.
Discord Latency spike as soon as I key down to talk, or aka Push-To-Talk

Will say again, incase it trys to get mentioned again. Internet being wired/wireless has no effect on what happens. Same issue wired or wireless. Also have tried a new power block to plug everything into, and also plugged in seperately to the wall.  We've had a Dish Alignment, new radio mounted on dish, and new modem installed. We've had some improvements with all that has been done but not by a significant factor. It's still not like it was, when we weren't complaining. Smiley Happy

Also, PS... I will note that I always speak about the latency spiking when I try to Push-To-Talk, but I have even observed the latency spike just by clicking refresh on a webpage.. Anything that involves with signal being transmitted between the sats.  Only when it's idle and you're not doing much of anything does it go back down to 1000-1200ms average when we used to not ever go above 740ms on a laggy day. On good days it was always around 640-670ms. Which I was very happy with for satellite, couldn't get much better than that it was awesome then.  Sorry for keeping on just trying to be informative. Just trying to cover all bases...  Also, the latency won't spike when they speak, only when I do.
discordlat-idle.pngDiscord Latency. Sitting idle in channel not speaking or anyone else speaking. But if someone does speak it doesn't spike when they speak.discord-keydownlat.pngDiscord Latency spike as soon as I key down to talk, or aka Push-To-Talk
Thank you

Thanks BJager for the additional information. Checking with an engineer about Discord.

Thanks,
Liz