cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency problem when I sign into my work thru a VPN

Highlighted
Freshman

Latency problem when I sign into my work thru a VPN

Hi, I would like someone to review my call when I signed up for HughesNet.  I told the person that I would be working from home and never once was I asked how I would be signing in.  As now I learn that HughesNet has a known problem with Latency when someone uses a Remote VPN connection.  If I were told up front about this issue I would not have signed up.  I feel that if there is a known problem with this service you should be told up front and not after you sign up and it does not work.  If I can't work, I can't pay my bills.  Now I am being charged the $400 ETF and feel I have only had this service for 30 days I should not have to pay as this service is not working for me.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Associate Professor

Re: Latency problem when I sign into my work thru a VPN

Unless you specifically mention that you use a VPN for work, then the agent wont tell you that Hughesnet doesn't support such things.  I work from home on occasion, no issues here, but I also don't use a VPN.

Highlighted
Freshman

So I guess I am not sure what to do from here.  I can't work now from home and I am being charged a $400 ETF.  I need out of this contract, and feel I should not have to pay that hugh fee.  This service is not working for me.  Can you advise on what to do from here.

Highlighted

Hello,

I am very sorry you've had so much trouble and understand why you would be frustrated about this situation. While it might not be mentioned on the sales call if you do not indicate to the sales agent that you will be using a VPN, the information has been on our website for a very long time: https://www.hughesnet.com/frequently-asked-questions 

Within our FAQ page, you can choose 'Compatibility' on the left hand menu, then VPN services are the first thing listed. 

FAQ_VPNFAQ_VPN

Regardless, I see that you did call in about this very quickly and I believe that I can provide you a resolution you will find agreeable. Please check your private messages by clicking on the envelope next to your user picture.

Thank you,

Amanda

Highlighted
New Poster

Amanda,

When I signed up for Hughes service, I specifically asked about working from home with VPN service from work.  I was told on that call it would work, but would be slow.  Well, after having service for two short weeks, I have discovered I can't complete any work with my employer VPN service.  I can log in to my work VPN service, and the employer welcome page displays fine.  However, the moment I attempt to access any employer provided tools on their network I receive an error message and the page hangs.  There is no way to exit from the program other than drop off the page, or perform a force stop action for the application from my PC.  The error message displayed is:Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 10.59.35 AM.png

I would like to know if there is a setting within the router that could cause this, and if so.  Is there a setting withing my HughesNet modem/router where this can be addressed?  Or, if there something I can work with my employer with on their end?

Highlighted
Assistant Professor

B4UGO, if I may jump in, that appears to be an alert your employer's server is throwing and blocking the HughesNet modem MAC address.

Possibly the company IT person has the ability to mark the modem MAC address as safe/allowed.

Highlighted
New Poster

Thanks BirdDog,

I will contact IT and have them add the MAC address to their safe or allowed list of addresses.  Much appreciated.