Latest Modem Update causing degraded service with Apple products

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mweasner
Sophomore

Latest Modem Update causing degraded service with Apple products

While there have always been issues with our HughesNet Gen5 Internet access, since the last modem software update (08/22/2019 05:21:31) we experience more frequent iCloud IMAP email connection issues, failure to load pages on many web site connections, and stalls during software downloads. (And of course, the ftp connection failures that began in December 2018 have gotten worse.) "Speed" may or may not be the issue; reported download speeds vary from 46.9mbps to 2.67mbps (and sometimes 0mbps) with our top tier Gen5 service. We have rebooted the computers (MacOS Mojave 10.14.6), devices (iOS 13.1.2 and iPadOS 13.1.2), and modem, and have changed the modem DNS settings (it is back to "Obtain from ISP" for now). When we switch the connections to cell LTE service there are no connection issues. The HughesNet Gen5 service definitely doesn't like working with Apple systems. I welcome suggestions for Gen5 modem settings that will end the degraded service for our Apple systems.

63 REPLIES 63
mweasner
Sophomore

Degradation continues. Can not even stream the audio from Apple's earnings broadcast today. Too many frequent stalls. Outgoing emails delayed by up to an hour, incoming emails slow to load. Seems odd for the top-tier HughesNet service.

Liz

Hi mweasner,

Thanks for reaching out, I ran diagnostics on your site just to make sure the HughesNet equipment was working normally, and all is well on that side. The only thing that jumps out at me is that some of your network devices only have fair signal strength--West and North devices, and both devices on the 5G network. You can try moving the W and N devices closer to the modem and power cycling them. For the 5G devices, you could move them closer as well, or switch to the 2.4 GHz network, however in your case since you already have a lot of devices there, might want to stick to the 5G network.

Let's narrow things down a bit, which concern/device would you like to focus on troubleshooting first?

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Liz, thanks for the troubleshooting diagnostic. Unfortunately, it is in error. The West and North devices are NOT 5G capable and so are connected via 2.4G. Perhaps that's an indicator of something wrong with the modem. Of course, this is the second modem since I first reported the December 2018 problem so it doesn't seem likely that the modem is at fault (although its firmware might be).

If you want to concentrate on a specific device use "Mike's iMac". It is on a wired connection (Cat-6 cable). It is the main computer that experiences the ftp issue and other frequent issues. It doesn't matter whether it is wired or on the Wi-Fi 5G network.

Mike

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@mweasner 

I think you misread what Liz meant.   She was referring to the West and North devices separately from the two devices that are on the 5Ghz network.

"... West and North devices, and both devices on the 5G network. You can try moving the W and N devices closer to the modem and power cycling them. For the 5G devices..."

Liz

Good morning Mike,

What Gabe said is correct; your West and North devices are on your 2.4 GHz network, there's no doubt about that. 

Please tell me more about webpages failing to load, and please provide the info below so if this needs to go up to engineering, they have the basic info they need.

What URL(s) are you trying to visit? (A few examples will suffice)

What are you trying to accomplish?

What error message are you getting, if any?

Aside from the modem update in August, have there been any changes to your system prior to your concerns?

Does disabling Web Acceleration make a difference? (Enter 192.168.0.1 in your browser then follow the steps here to find where to toggle Web Acceleration: http://hninfo.us/WAS)

Does this happen in different browsers?

Does this happen even after clearing your browser cache? 

Does power cycling your modem make a difference? (Unplug the HughesNet modem's power cord from the brick for 30 seconds before replugging.)

Does power cycling your computer make a difference?

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are greatly appreciated so that we can address your concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

GabeU, good catch. I did misread that. However, one of the handheld 5G devices is generally within 10 feet of the modem with a strong signal and it still experiences the same problems as the wired devices.

Liz, thanks for wanting more info.

Have power cycled the modem and devices. No change.

Any web URL can suffer the delays/stalls. Any software download site can experience the delays/stalls/fails whether via a web browser or the in-app downloads.

Have tried disabling Web Acceleration; no difference.

Happens in Safari and Firefox (always the latest versions) on multiple devices. Clearing the cache never made any difference.

These issues are frequent, but there are times when there are no issues.

And in case you're wondering, there are no line-of-sight obstructions between the dish and the satellite (unless some other satellite is in the way).

Mike

Liz

Thank you Mike,

I've escalated your case to engineering for their insight. I'll post back once I have any news or instructions to share.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Good morning Mike,

Engineering informed me that they've made network improvements in the past two weeks. Please monitor your performance and let me know if you notice any difference.

Liz,

Thanks for hanging in there for me! Good to hear that maybe the issues have been resolved.  Will see how it goes from my end.  I'll let you know.

Mike

Liz, thanks again for trying to get the HughesNet issues resolved.  For about a 24 hour period last Wednesday (13 Nov) and Thursday (14 Nov) it looked like things had been fixed.  ftp connections worked, and email and web sites page loading seemed more reliable.  But then things became hit-n-miss again. ftp was mostly a fail. The good news is that downloading the MacOS Catalina update (8 GB) this morning worked well.  The file downloaded in 30 minutes and the install went OK.  That compares to the previous attempt back in October where the download stalled and then continued.  The file was apparently corrupted and killed the computer that was being updated.  I had to restore the hard disk using a full backup.  Not fun.  So, we are not yet there where everything is reliable.  Again, I have to point out that these problems seem to have begun in mid-December 2018 when there was a modem update.

Good morning Mike,

Thank you for this update, I've passed this over to engineering for their input. I'll let you know once I have any news to share.

Some moderately good news, but some really bad news as well. ftp connections have become somewhat more reliable in the past two weeks, however, they are still a long ways from the 100% reliable that they were prior to 15 December 2018 (yes, ftp has been unreliable for over a year). The bad news is that IMAP mac.com simple, short, text only email messages can take minutes to download on Ethernet connected computers and Wi-Fi connected handheld devices. Even HughesNet POP email is unreliable with frequent re-login requests (that can fail). And iCloud.com calendar access has now become hit-n-miss. After over a year of frustrations with the deteriorating services the wife is seriously considering dropping HughesNet as we do not see the same problems when using our local cell LTE service.

Mike

maratsade

Given what you've experienced over the past year, it may actually be a good idea for you to go with your LTE service.   

GabeU

@mweasner 

I agree with maratsade, but I know that the trick is finding cell type access that is amenable to home internet.  Can you tether with the phone(s) you have now?

When HughesNet is not working reliably to get ftp, email, or calendar connections we do connect our iPhones to use their LTE Hotspot connections.  So we know that works well and much faster than HughesNet (sorry, HughesNet).  AT&T is rolling out some new Unlimited plans that include Mobile Hotspot data and they have a device that supposedly can provide network connections to both Wi-Fi and Ethernet connected devices.

Good morning mweasner,

Engineering is still currently investigating the Apple issues. Once I have any news to share I'll let you know.

Thanks,

Liz

Good morning mweasner,

Thank you for your patience, while engineering is still currently investigating the Apple issues. No breakthroughs or anything so far, but once I have any news to share I'll let you know.

Thanks,

Liz

Good morning mweasner,

Engineering has completed the rollout of a fix to address general Apple concerns. Please let me know if you are still encountering issues, and if so, please let me know what exactly what's happened so I can let engineering know.

Thanks,

Liz

Thanks Liz.  And thanks to the Engineering Team for working it.  I will let you know if I see any improvements.  As yet my modem is not showing any "Rebooted due to software upgrade" this month.  Does this firmware update need to have the modem rebooted?

Liz, so far no improvement in IMAP email (still can take several minutes for a simple text-only email message to download) and no improvement in ftp (which still fails to connect when I try to reach my ftp server or dies in the middle of an ftp download or upload after getting a successful connection).  Haven't yet seen any automatic restart of the modem due to a firmware update.