cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest Modem Update causing degraded service with Apple products

Freshman

Re: Latest Modem Update causing degraded service with Apple products

Liz, thanks again for trying to get the HughesNet issues resolved.  For about a 24 hour period last Wednesday (13 Nov) and Thursday (14 Nov) it looked like things had been fixed.  ftp connections worked, and email and web sites page loading seemed more reliable.  But then things became hit-n-miss again. ftp was mostly a fail. The good news is that downloading the MacOS Catalina update (8 GB) this morning worked well.  The file downloaded in 30 minutes and the install went OK.  That compares to the previous attempt back in October where the download stalled and then continued.  The file was apparently corrupted and killed the computer that was being updated.  I had to restore the hard disk using a full backup.  Not fun.  So, we are not yet there where everything is reliable.  Again, I have to point out that these problems seem to have begun in mid-December 2018 when there was a modem update.

Highlighted

Good morning Mike,

Thank you for this update, I've passed this over to engineering for their input. I'll let you know once I have any news to share.

Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.
Freshman

Some moderately good news, but some really bad news as well. ftp connections have become somewhat more reliable in the past two weeks, however, they are still a long ways from the 100% reliable that they were prior to 15 December 2018 (yes, ftp has been unreliable for over a year). The bad news is that IMAP mac.com simple, short, text only email messages can take minutes to download on Ethernet connected computers and Wi-Fi connected handheld devices. Even HughesNet POP email is unreliable with frequent re-login requests (that can fail). And iCloud.com calendar access has now become hit-n-miss. After over a year of frustrations with the deteriorating services the wife is seriously considering dropping HughesNet as we do not see the same problems when using our local cell LTE service.

Mike

Distinguished Professor I

Given what you've experienced over the past year, it may actually be a good idea for you to go with your LTE service.   

Distinguished Professor IV

@mweasner 

I agree with maratsade, but I know that the trick is finding cell type access that is amenable to home internet.  Can you tether with the phone(s) you have now?

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Freshman

When HughesNet is not working reliably to get ftp, email, or calendar connections we do connect our iPhones to use their LTE Hotspot connections.  So we know that works well and much faster than HughesNet (sorry, HughesNet).  AT&T is rolling out some new Unlimited plans that include Mobile Hotspot data and they have a device that supposedly can provide network connections to both Wi-Fi and Ethernet connected devices.

Good morning mweasner,

Engineering is still currently investigating the Apple issues. Once I have any news to share I'll let you know.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Good morning mweasner,

Thank you for your patience, while engineering is still currently investigating the Apple issues. No breakthroughs or anything so far, but once I have any news to share I'll let you know.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz