Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest Modem Update causing degraded service with Apple products

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Latest Modem Update causing degraded service with Apple products

@mweasner 

The notifications on the My Account page are for things like billing.  Community notifications can be controlled from the Community Settings page, but only the hughes.net email that is connected to the account you use to sign into the Community can be used for Community notifications.  You can't use a 3rd party email address for Community notifications.  

With this said, I use the forwarding option in my hughes.net email to forward my Community notifications to my MSN email address.

Edit:  Just in case you want to do the same...

Capture.JPG

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
Sophomore

It has been many years since I'd changed the notifications so I assumed that HughesNet Notifications would be for HughesNet notifications.  Silly me.

Thanks for the tip.  Done.

Highlighted
New Poster

For the price one pays instead of a month to solve a problem yourself with expert advise you would think a technician would come to your house and fix it. I’m m not trying to be nasty but who has months
Highlighted
Sophomore

The saga situation deteriorates even further.  Last night I wanted to update my Apple Watch to the latest OS.  The iPhone could not see the Watch on the HughesNet Wi-Fi network yet both were connected to Wi-Fi.  iPhone on 5G Wi-Fi and Watch on 2G Wi-Fi.  Never had a problem before doing updates with them on separate Wi-Fi networks.  Switched the iPhone to 2G and the Watch update proceeded.  Early this morning I decided to power cycle the HughesNet modem.  BIG MISTAKE!  Now none of my security cameras will connect to my ftp server to upload a 30 KB image file every 15 minutes.  I can see the cameras on the local network so they are connected to Ethernet or Wi-Fi 2G as they always have been.  I restarted the cameras.  They still can not connect.  I started the macOS update.  It failed after downloading about 100 MB.  I restarted the update download and it failed again.  I was finally able to complete the download and update to the latest macOS using the AT&T LTE hotspot.  I rebooted the HughesNet modem but the cameras still can not connect.  Maybe that HughesNet update that was mentioned a few weeks ago was finally applied on my modem and it permanently broke ftp and more.

Once the COVID-19 situation gets resolved we will be replacing HughesNet, unless it dramatically improves in the interim.  Many thanks to all the people who tried to help over the past 15 months since the HughesNet problems started.  I wish their efforts had been successful.

Be safe everyone.

Mike

Distinguished Professor IV

@Tb2 wrote:
For the price one pays instead of a month to solve a problem yourself with expert advise you would think a technician would come to your house and fix it. I’m m not trying to be nasty but who has months

A tech is only dispatched when an issue can be fixed at the customer location.  If troubleshooting and remote diagnostics don't indicate the need, sending a tech would be a waste of time.  Not all issues can be fixed on site. 

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
Sophomore

The problems I have been seeing seemed to have started with modem firmware update in December 2018.  So I suspect the root of the problem lies at the core of the HughesNet system and not at my location or with my computers and devices.  With the complete failure of ftp this morning I wonder if the most recent HughesNet update had ftp capabilities deleted.  I know of some coders who when faced with a bug they can't fix they delete the feature experiencing the bug.  I'm not saying that HughesNet did that but it does make one wonder.  I only suggest that a knowledgeable tech from HughesNet come to my location (post COVID-19) to log everything that is happening with my connection.  I suppose they could do that remotely but we would have to coordinate that activity and protect my private data (accounts, passwords, etc.).

Highlighted
Associate Professor

In this entire thread, this is the first time I think you've mentioned cameras (plural).

Have you tried keeping the cameras and any other additional peripherals attached to the wifi/lan and just use a single computer, then introduce one item at a time to see if perhaps there was something loading the system down?

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Highlighted
Sophomore

I have done that several times over the past 15 months.  I have a hard time believing that the problem is local. But I will throw out one other thought.  I am not an RF engineer so I don't know how likely or not this could be.  The HughesNet installer in 2013 put the dish right next to the DirecTV dish.  I doubt there is any RF interference as the problem didn't start until December 2018.  But...

Highlighted
Freshman

@GabeU  That's is totally not true, and misinformation partially. After 7 months of constant back and forth with tech support, 3 modems, engineering and other reps...they finally dispatched an actual service tech on Tuesday  this week. The radio was bad...the dish was pointed at the old satellite from day one, and he replaced the modem, AND there was leaking issues that tech support said wasn't happening.. And...he went thru 3 modems on site, as 2 were pretty much junk out of the box and wouldn't register at all. So, that theory isn't truly correct. So, with that being said, tech support and engineering and home troubleshooting isn't the be all end all to any situation. In all honesty, I can't belive @mweasner  has been this patient for 15 months plus. 

Highlighted
Associate Professor

If the DTV dish is positioned within 45 degrees of any edge of the HN dish it's quite possible that the DTV dish is reflecting your send signal back into the HN dish. That would cause interference for sure - not just on upload sends, but receive handshakes as well. The back of a dish (the actual dish, tbh) is an excellent reflector for a reason... that's precisely its job - to focus and reflect a signal in and away from the transceiver that's mounted on the beam.

I've seen tree branches do this often (even if they sag the wrong way after a rain shower) and I often have to get a ladder and limb trimmer to it.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.