Latest Modem Update causing degraded service with Apple products

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mweasner
Sophomore

Latest Modem Update causing degraded service with Apple products

While there have always been issues with our HughesNet Gen5 Internet access, since the last modem software update (08/22/2019 05:21:31) we experience more frequent iCloud IMAP email connection issues, failure to load pages on many web site connections, and stalls during software downloads. (And of course, the ftp connection failures that began in December 2018 have gotten worse.) "Speed" may or may not be the issue; reported download speeds vary from 46.9mbps to 2.67mbps (and sometimes 0mbps) with our top tier Gen5 service. We have rebooted the computers (MacOS Mojave 10.14.6), devices (iOS 13.1.2 and iPadOS 13.1.2), and modem, and have changed the modem DNS settings (it is back to "Obtain from ISP" for now). When we switch the connections to cell LTE service there are no connection issues. The HughesNet Gen5 service definitely doesn't like working with Apple systems. I welcome suggestions for Gen5 modem settings that will end the degraded service for our Apple systems.

63 REPLIES 63

For the price one pays instead of a month to solve a problem yourself with expert advise you would think a technician would come to your house and fix it. I’m m not trying to be nasty but who has months

The saga situation deteriorates even further.  Last night I wanted to update my Apple Watch to the latest OS.  The iPhone could not see the Watch on the HughesNet Wi-Fi network yet both were connected to Wi-Fi.  iPhone on 5G Wi-Fi and Watch on 2G Wi-Fi.  Never had a problem before doing updates with them on separate Wi-Fi networks.  Switched the iPhone to 2G and the Watch update proceeded.  Early this morning I decided to power cycle the HughesNet modem.  BIG MISTAKE!  Now none of my security cameras will connect to my ftp server to upload a 30 KB image file every 15 minutes.  I can see the cameras on the local network so they are connected to Ethernet or Wi-Fi 2G as they always have been.  I restarted the cameras.  They still can not connect.  I started the macOS update.  It failed after downloading about 100 MB.  I restarted the update download and it failed again.  I was finally able to complete the download and update to the latest macOS using the AT&T LTE hotspot.  I rebooted the HughesNet modem but the cameras still can not connect.  Maybe that HughesNet update that was mentioned a few weeks ago was finally applied on my modem and it permanently broke ftp and more.

Once the COVID-19 situation gets resolved we will be replacing HughesNet, unless it dramatically improves in the interim.  Many thanks to all the people who tried to help over the past 15 months since the HughesNet problems started.  I wish their efforts had been successful.

Be safe everyone.

Mike

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Tb2 wrote:
For the price one pays instead of a month to solve a problem yourself with expert advise you would think a technician would come to your house and fix it. I’m m not trying to be nasty but who has months

A tech is only dispatched when an issue can be fixed at the customer location.  If troubleshooting and remote diagnostics don't indicate the need, sending a tech would be a waste of time.  Not all issues can be fixed on site. 

The problems I have been seeing seemed to have started with modem firmware update in December 2018.  So I suspect the root of the problem lies at the core of the HughesNet system and not at my location or with my computers and devices.  With the complete failure of ftp this morning I wonder if the most recent HughesNet update had ftp capabilities deleted.  I know of some coders who when faced with a bug they can't fix they delete the feature experiencing the bug.  I'm not saying that HughesNet did that but it does make one wonder.  I only suggest that a knowledgeable tech from HughesNet come to my location (post COVID-19) to log everything that is happening with my connection.  I suppose they could do that remotely but we would have to coordinate that activity and protect my private data (accounts, passwords, etc.).

In this entire thread, this is the first time I think you've mentioned cameras (plural).

Have you tried keeping the cameras and any other additional peripherals attached to the wifi/lan and just use a single computer, then introduce one item at a time to see if perhaps there was something loading the system down?

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

I have done that several times over the past 15 months.  I have a hard time believing that the problem is local. But I will throw out one other thought.  I am not an RF engineer so I don't know how likely or not this could be.  The HughesNet installer in 2013 put the dish right next to the DirecTV dish.  I doubt there is any RF interference as the problem didn't start until December 2018.  But...

If the DTV dish is positioned within 45 degrees of any edge of the HN dish it's quite possible that the DTV dish is reflecting your send signal back into the HN dish. That would cause interference for sure - not just on upload sends, but receive handshakes as well. The back of a dish (the actual dish, tbh) is an excellent reflector for a reason... that's precisely its job - to focus and reflect a signal in and away from the transceiver that's mounted on the beam.

I've seen tree branches do this often (even if they sag the wrong way after a rain shower) and I often have to get a ladder and limb trimmer to it.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@GabeU  That's is totally not true, and misinformation partially. After 7 months of constant back and forth with tech support, 3 modems, engineering and other reps...they finally dispatched an actual service tech on Tuesday  this week. The radio was bad...the dish was pointed at the old satellite from day one, and he replaced the modem, AND there was leaking issues that tech support said wasn't happening.. And...he went thru 3 modems on site, as 2 were pretty much junk out of the box and wouldn't register at all. So, that theory isn't truly correct. So, with that being said, tech support and engineering and home troubleshooting isn't the be all end all to any situation. In all honesty, I can't belive @mweasner  has been this patient for 15 months plus. 

GabeU

@robinloraditch 

You apparently had the rare instance where that wasn't the case.  

I still stand by my statement.  

Not to argue, and do not take this as offensive,  but you seem to never want to be wrong. If a customer has ongoing, and unresolved issues for well over a year, and a tech hasn't been dispatched to check equipment and installation for issues that cannot be resolved here or by anyone at tech or engineering, then there is something wrong with this scenario.  

GabeU

@robinloraditch 

It has nothing to do with never wanting to be wrong.  When I'm wrong I freely admit it.  What is does have to do with is four years of experience on these boards and 15+ years of my personal experience with satellite internet, and more than my own.  

Other than issues with modems themselves, which may still be the case, on site issues don't tend to have problems related only to specific proprietary services and their offerings.

And yet this man believes he has modem issues. I do not believe my issues were a rare instance at all. My issues aside, if there is an ongoing, unresolved problem, that cannot be corrected by phone and other forms of troubleshooting, then in fact a service technician does need to be onsite for testing of the customers equipment for issues. I, stand by that. It doesn't matter how long you have been on this site, or your vast knowledge of satellite internet..I am not an uneducated individual when it comes to telecommunications and electrical engineering. As a person who works on and repairs 12 volts and up electronics on a daily basis, and have been for the past 24 years.. yes in fact issues with items can be overlooked and missed, and there can be unforseen faults that are causing the issues that they cannot see on their end. Therefore an installatiin tech would need to check the system.Just my opinion on the matter. This customers modem and or equipment could be the culprit. Have a great day.

And, I am in no way saying I am right on the issue, nor am I saying I know what is the underlying issues are with his problems he is experiencing.  Its just a thought,  they maybe its time to have a service tech jump in and see if there is in fact, an equipment malfunction there.  What would it hurt? Anywho, I have to get back my work. Hope the original poster gets the issues resolved, I know it's gotta be beyond the breaking point. 

Just to prove my point about there being no obstructions to the dish line-of-sight to the satellite, I have posted a fisheye lens photo of the HughesNet and DirecTV dishes and the sky.  North is at the bottom and the southern horizon is just out of the frame at the top.  

maratsade

Gorgeous weather!

Yeah, but, remember what I said about the DTV dish being within 45 degrees of the HN dish?

Looks like the leftmost edge of it is likely causing a splendid reflected standing wave when your HN dish transmits.

We can thank the HughesNet installer for that.  The DirecTV dish was installed in 2009 by DirecTV.  The HughesNet dish in 2013.  HughesNet service was upgraded to Gen5 when that became available, whatever year that was.  The first Gen5 modem suffered from a faulty Wi-Fi radio, like many of the earlier ones.  Of course, the problems did not start until December 2018.

Hello,

Thank you all for your patience while engineering investigated and addressed this. I got confirmation from engineering that they've rolled out optimization to all customers to improve iMessage/iCloud performance. I hope to see your feedback on current experiences with iMessage/iCloud, bad or good.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Sometimes it seems as if some things have improved.  But today it seems worse again with iCloud activity (mail, calendar).  Several days ago I disabled Web Acceleration to see if that made any long term difference.  As of now, hard to say what will work and how long it work...  ftp is still hit-n-miss as well.

Good morning Mike,

Thank you for your feedback, I've sent this over to engineering. I'll post back once I have any other news.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

For those who have followed this and other threads about the ftp and other issues with HughesNet service that I began experiencing in December 2018, here is the latest update.

Unfortunately, the problems with ftp connections and other Internet protocols have continued when using HughesNet. I successfully migrated Internet access to a local LTE service and am seeing 4X greater download speed than was possible with HughesNet and greater reliability with no ftp or other issues. Consequently, after being a HughesNet customer for nearly seven years, I will be leaving HughesNet. The first five years HughesNet was a good service for my purposes, so I thank HughesNet for being available in 2013 when I needed it to get off the slow DSL here (0.8 Mbps). I will be contacting HughesNet soon to cancel the service.

Many thanks to everyone on the Forum who offered troubleshooting tips and recommendations.

Stay safe everyone.

Mike