Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest Modem Update causing degraded service with Apple products

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Latest Modem Update causing degraded service with Apple products

@robinloraditch 

You apparently had the rare instance where that wasn't the case.  

I still stand by my statement.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro

Not to argue, and do not take this as offensive,  but you seem to never want to be wrong. If a customer has ongoing, and unresolved issues for well over a year, and a tech hasn't been dispatched to check equipment and installation for issues that cannot be resolved here or by anyone at tech or engineering, then there is something wrong with this scenario.  

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@robinloraditch 

It has nothing to do with never wanting to be wrong.  When I'm wrong I freely admit it.  What is does have to do with is four years of experience on these boards and 15+ years of my personal experience with satellite internet, and more than my own.  

Other than issues with modems themselves, which may still be the case, on site issues don't tend to have problems related only to specific proprietary services and their offerings.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
mweasner
Sophomore

About a month after I began reporting the issue in Dec 2018, HughesNet did send a technician to check things out.  He replaced the modem AND the dish electronics since he was seeing errors on the connection.  With the new equipment he said there were no errors and the connection worked as it should.  A few minutes after he left the issue returned.  But that is the way it was before he replaced the equipment and after the replacements.  Sometimes everything works fine and other times everything fails.  Mostly fails, actually.

For those who might be wondering, there are no trees, branches, or any obstructions beside or above the dish.  The dish has a clear line-of-sight to the satellite.  I'm at latitude 32 degrees North.

And yet this man believes he has modem issues. I do not believe my issues were a rare instance at all. My issues aside, if there is an ongoing, unresolved problem, that cannot be corrected by phone and other forms of troubleshooting, then in fact a service technician does need to be onsite for testing of the customers equipment for issues. I, stand by that. It doesn't matter how long you have been on this site, or your vast knowledge of satellite internet..I am not an uneducated individual when it comes to telecommunications and electrical engineering. As a person who works on and repairs 12 volts and up electronics on a daily basis, and have been for the past 24 years.. yes in fact issues with items can be overlooked and missed, and there can be unforseen faults that are causing the issues that they cannot see on their end. Therefore an installatiin tech would need to check the system.Just my opinion on the matter. This customers modem and or equipment could be the culprit. Have a great day.

And, I am in no way saying I am right on the issue, nor am I saying I know what is the underlying issues are with his problems he is experiencing.  Its just a thought,  they maybe its time to have a service tech jump in and see if there is in fact, an equipment malfunction there.  What would it hurt? Anywho, I have to get back my work. Hope the original poster gets the issues resolved, I know it's gotta be beyond the breaking point. 

mweasner
Sophomore

Just to prove my point about there being no obstructions to the dish line-of-sight to the satellite, I have posted a fisheye lens photo of the HughesNet and DirecTV dishes and the sky.  North is at the bottom and the southern horizon is just out of the frame at the top.  

maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

Gorgeous weather!

MarkJFine
Associate Professor

Yeah, but, remember what I said about the DTV dish being within 45 degrees of the HN dish?

Looks like the leftmost edge of it is likely causing a splendid reflected standing wave when your HN dish transmits.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
mweasner
Sophomore

We can thank the HughesNet installer for that.  The DirecTV dish was installed in 2009 by DirecTV.  The HughesNet dish in 2013.  HughesNet service was upgraded to Gen5 when that became available, whatever year that was.  The first Gen5 modem suffered from a faulty Wi-Fi radio, like many of the earlier ones.  Of course, the problems did not start until December 2018.