Let the Community Know if Your Speeds Have Increased

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
monicakm
Senior

Let the Community Know if Your Speeds Have Increased

Since HN has sent out letters (or at least one letter) stating that they are are actively setting up processes to open new capacity in several Gen5 regions and that this expansion will optimize performance across the entire network, how about letting the community know if you've seen a big increase in your speeds.  Hopefully at least the speeds promised in their ads.  

Liz and Amanda, if you read this, it would be nice if we could have somewhat of a timeline when these fixes will be implemented.

I'll go first.  YES, my speeds have increased back to where they were when I signed up for Gen 5 last April.

16 REPLIES 16
lighthope1
Senior

My speeds have actually gone down in the evening, with upload speeds of 134kbps. Yes, you read that right.

YouTube has been a pain.

I'm still on Gen4, but I wished I had atleast got a letter or something other than making me feel crazy about my internet problems. I kinda feel like they want me to switch to Gen5 but no way will I do that if 4 is not working. Lol

Best of luck to all

Our daytime speeds (8am-3:30PM CST) in the Texas Panhandle are usually screaming fast - 44MPBS at times - but once we get to the afteroon and evening hours they slow to a crawl - yesterday a .94MBPS and the data drain is insane. There is NO way to watch or stream Netflix, YouTube or barely get on the Internet after 5PM CST. I believe it has everything to do with being oversold and the obvious 'peak' hours have so much traffic that the speeds are bogged down beyond acceptable limits. 4 days into my NEW month and already down to 56% available data on a 30GB plan with TTL at $114 per month. Still not a happy camper but am told they are working on it. @Liz, @Amanda

Screenshot 2018-02-06 16.54.23.pngScreenshot 2018-02-07 10.22.00.png

bare65
Advanced Tutor

@monicakm

You will have to excuse me if I come across as a little blunt, (it's the Scottish in me) but I'm having a hard time trying to figure up if you are genuinely wanting to know if other customers, besides yourself, are seeing improved speeds...OR whether you are merely trying to stir up trouble within the community.

When you go out of your way to send me a private message with the subject line :

Maybe it's Time You Go Outside the Company For Help

Untitled2.png

and go on to suggest, within that message, that I should contact certain 'outside' agencies with regards to my own speed issues...and how you, yourself, have benefited from doing this in the past....

well, quite frankly, this raises a red flag for me as far as what your objective is by posting/starting topics such as this one.

Are you simply a concerned customer wanting to help other customers...or, again, are you merely trying to cause some kind of disruption within the community?

I would appreciate it if you did NOT send me any further private messages, especially messages about using outside agencies, filing complaints, etc...

When I have a Hughesnet related problem, be it technical, billing, etc...my preference will always be to seek help from this support community, my fellow community members and those HughesNet corporate level moderators, if needed.

No outside agency required. Any issues or questions I may of had over the years have always been quickly answered and/or resolved..and I have no doubts that my current download speed issues will also be resolved, in time....again, without the aide of any outside agency.

No problem bare65.  I will not send another private email with attempts to help you with your poor service/speeds (or anything else) again.  Nor will I try to convince you of my intentions.  Seems like you've already made up your mind.  My posting history should speak for speak for it's self.  If I have no problem calling out a company for it's unacceptable service, then I'm also going to let them know when the advertised service is good/improved.  I was hoping others would do the same, hence the reason for this post.  If I was trying to stir up trouble, that private message wouldn't have been private.  So maybe it's you that are trying to stir up trouble by posting a private message to a public forum.   Good luck (and I mean that sincerely) getting your speeds back up to where they should be.  Meanwhile I will enjoy my (nearly 24/7) speeds of 40+Mbps download, little to no buffering of You Tube and snappy smart home devices.

edit: btw, I follow the chain of command rule when dealing with HN or any other company I take issue with.  I do not start out by going outside the company.  I post to forums, I spend hours on the phone with tech support and wait for return phone calls that never come.

@monicakm wrote:

No problem bare65.  I will not send another private email with attempts to help you with your poor service/speeds (or anything else) again.

thumbsup.jpgthank you!

My upload speeds have never been very good.  I think a couple of times (I don't test it often) it might have been as high as advertized but it's usually in the 1-2Mbps speed.  Right now it's 871kbps.  That's really not "ok" but with the download speeds I'm getting, I'll deal with the slow upload speed!

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I rarely test upload speeds, but when I have, it's always between 2 and 3 Mbps, more often than not a bit over 3 Mbps, so that's also as advertised for me.  I think it was even that way during the very slow period, when downloads were in the Kbps range, but I'm not 100% sure. 

@monicakm wrote:

My upload speeds have never been very good.  I think a couple of times (I don't test it often) it might have been as high as advertized but it's usually in the 1-2Mbps speed.  Right now it's 871kbps.  That's really not "ok" but with the download speeds I'm getting, I'll deal with the slow upload speed!

GabeU

@monicakm

What site do you use to check your upload speed?  

Hey Gabe, I use testmy.net.

GabeU

@monicakm wrote:

Hey Gabe, I use testmy.net.

Ah.  Okay.  I just didn't know if you might be using Speedtest, as they seem to give lower than actual upload results.  

That's too bad.  I hope that with the expansions going on you see your upload speed pick up.  Mine's almost always in the 2-3Mbps range, and sometimes higher.  

http://testmy.net/memberstats?type=user_name&q=Gabe1972&TestType=U&limit=25

Just tested 12:10am...1.9Mbps

Thanks Gabe.  It would be great to have the full 3Mbps upload but it just hasn't seemed to be all that much of an issue for my use.  I'm much happier with the faster downloads 🙂

maratsade

I went through a period of very slow speeds, but now my speeds are quite often higher than advertised.

speedtest.png

@maratsade since you've read many of my other posts, I have screaming speeds during the day, until around 3:30PM then it drops off to .7 to 2MPBS but mosting hanging around the 1.2 range, this is CST. There is no way to stream anything - it's a constant circle buffer. I did not get a letter from HN, did get a tech rep to call me back on Monday and he said it was due to 'peak' hours and slow performance was to be expected. When I was talking to the sales rep on the phone BEFORE I changed my service from Wi-Power which was consistent, although slow, I asked specifically what the bottom end would be and was told 'not less than 60% of your average high speed. alas, it is not.

maratsade

I've had Hughesnet for over 12 years. When I first upgraded to Gen 5, my speeds were much slower than other people's.  They had speeds over 50 Mbps, and my average speeds were between 16 and 20 Mbps.  Things worked just fine, though.  I could stream Amazon Prime, Netflix (Netflix, in my experience, handles satellite internet very well), Hulu, and YouTube.  I did report that my speeds were slower than the really amazing speeds other people were getting, and Hughesnet was very responsive about this.  After September, speeds took a serious dive.  They were inconsistent, varied from 1 Mbps to maybe 7-10 Mbps, and in the evenings dropped into the Kbps range.  I continued to test and report, and Hughesnet continued to be responsive. They kept me informed, and I knew they were working behind the scenes. 

Since I've been a customer for 12 years, I've gone through many different types of experience with them, and they have consistently improved over the years, so I'm a happy customer.  So I just waited, and then they let me know they were deploying some measures to increase capacity and improve speed, so I waited some more, and one day the speeds shot up and were faster than before the slump. So far they're fine, faster than advertised, and conform to the 25 Mbps down/3Mbps up defintion of broadband that the Feds came up with in 2015.  

I don't know why you're having such a rotten experience, and why your data is draining like there's a big hole in the modem, and I hope you find the culprit soon, because that's just nuts, and it's also very frustrating.  It's not fun waiting for a solution either, but the issue may be complicated, so it may take a while to figure out.  I haven't followed you enough to know what has been tried so far -- has a technician been round? Have the mods run diagnostics from their side?  Have you been in touch via private message with the mods? 

Peak hours are always slower for everyone -- I lurk on Xfinity forums and the people there complain about big slowdowns during peak hours, and the mods tell them, well, it's peak hours, so it's expected.  I have Verizon wifi and it's quite slow (one good thing though is the latency is a lot less than satellite), and Verizon isn't nearly as responsive as HN.  So no system is perfect, and it may appear that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, but many times, it's not. 

I do hope you'll figure out where on Earth your data is going!

@happytexann wrote:

@maratsade since you've read many of my other posts, I have screaming speeds during the day, until around 3:30PM then it drops off to .7 to 2MPBS but mosting hanging around the 1.2 range, this is CST. There is no way to stream anything - it's a constant circle buffer. I did not get a letter from HN, did get a tech rep to call me back on Monday and he said it was due to 'peak' hours and slow performance was to be expected. When I was talking to the sales rep on the phone BEFORE I changed my service from Wi-Power which was consistent, although slow, I asked specifically what the bottom end would be and was told 'not less than 60% of your average high speed. alas, it is not.