cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let the truth be told!

Re: Let the truth be told!

Eric, try checking your upgrade options at http://upgrade.hughesnet.com The Way they advertise plans by showing total monthy usage is misleading but it also shows the anytime usage and bonus bytes (2am - 8am) at the bottom.

Thanks for your feedback.

No one has answered my request for a transcript of my conversation. So I am asking for one again. If HN refuses to provide a transcript then you ought to state so, otherwise I may just continue to ask for one. Also I would like to know if the original 5gb that I signed up for initially was adequate for my needs as assessed by your sales rep that first took my call, then why did I have to upgrade to 10gb and continue having problems? What I do on a regular basis is email, Facebook, web surfing and occasionally watch a video of a news release on e-mail. I noticed lately that there seems to be an awful lot of videos on Facebook that go off automatically even without activating. Is this using up a lot of data? I dare not download any "on demand" TV shows which I tried only once and my internet was significantly impaired. That was when I upgraded and haven't done anything like that since. So I would like some one to comment on this usage please.

Also, can you tell me how I can obtain my extra tokens. I understand from customer comments that you changed your method of obtaining these. Thank you.

How much data will I use if I download this tool?
Assistant Professor

Read Chris's response below. They do not provide full transcripts or recordings.

As far as 5 GB that means you can average only about 166 MB per day in a 30 day month.

Also, I never requested the PC Security essentials OR the zone alarm that you are referring to. How can I get this removed from my Bill?
Associate Professor

Why would one need an email about usage when they can easily view usage by visiting the modem at http://192.168.0.1 in the browser...?

Also, I don't know of any ISP that releases information about what is using what...

Users complain about not being able to see what websites they have visited and how much it used.
Users complain about being able to see what websites they have visited and how much it used because the ISP is then "spying" on that users activity.

Double edged sword.

Our situation is daughter (on HughesNet) is in Bakersfield (I'm in Portland). She's not very technically savvy, so I'd need to use TeamViewer or something to check usage. It's handy for me when Verizon emails me a data usage alert for her phone, so I can check in with her on usage; was looking for something similar from Hughes. True about the privacy-vs-usage concern, again Verizon does a decent job of just reporting "mostly streaming video during these hours, etc."

There are alot of programs that do automatic updates. You may not realize or know they are downloading but they are! This is probably why you are using alot of data! You will have to go in every program and turn off automatic updates. (Java, Adobe Flash Player, Adobe Reader, Windows, Firefox, Chrome, and other programs all do updates). Make sure you set all them to notify when there are updates and then they will not auto automatically download, you can download them when you want! ***Make sure you have Windows Update set to check for updates also their updates can be 200 MB - 500 MB per month or more***

With Facebook when you scroll through the news feed videos that others post automatically load which will use data. (I think sound is automatically muted so you womt realize they are loading - in a few seconds they can use alot of data). You can go in Settings on Facebook and turn off video auto play. (If you need help with turning it off I will gladly walk you through now). Also Facebook games use alot of data, I used to play farmville until I realized it was a data hog. Every time you click to do something it reloads the entire page which gets to be alot after a while of playing. There are some games that aren't too bad. -- I don't know if you play games or what games you do play, you haven't mentioned anything about games.

As sgoshe said read the comments below. Chris has alot of details about your account in his post. (You are paying for advanced repair which is monthly and also paying for the antivirus software Zone Alarm through HughesNet - I don't know if you use this program but to save money you could cancel and use a different anti virus program there are free ones you can use)

If you have Windows 7 you can get Windows Security Essentials from Microsoft for free. Which is a free anti virus program (this is what I have been using for years). Not sure if Windows 8.1 uses Security Essentials or if Windows Defender is the anti virus program - which is the upgraded version that has Security Essentials built in one program.
Other people might have other options for free anti virus programs as well.
Associate Professor

You may want to try and show her how to use the meters at the modem control page...  They are just like a gas tank...  It shows what days the meters reset, and how much is remaining...  When it's empty, it's empty.  Fairly simple for anyone to read IMO... Can't really get any more simplistic...  Best of all, there's no visiting and signing into a website to view this page since it's on the modem it self.

thanks for the tip; I just downloaded the HT-1100 manual, that was a feature I hadn't known about. we also installed the Status Meter application from Hughes, that seems pretty easy for her to understand also.