cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crispywheats
New Poster

Limited connectivity on one desktop

Just got Gen 5 upgrade.  Had gen 4 for a few years before

3 phones and one laptop can connect with no problem but my wife's desktop downstairs in the office will not fully connect.  It shows an excelent signal but says "Limited Connectivity".  I 'googled' it and I'm stumped.  

I'm not sure this is a Hughes router issue or a Dell desktop issue.  Can someone give me some advice on what to do?

I've rebooted everything.  I've opened network sharing and tried everything you could imagine (I think).  I'm hoping there is some easy fix like checking a box or something...Please help

Crispywheats

6 REPLIES 6
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Do you know what Wifi Adapter the desktop has in it...? Just going on a hunch, it could be the encryption type...

Your device may not support the Wifi Encryption method the HT2000w uses by default, this could be due to the age of the device, or software of the device.  In the case of a Wireless adapter for your computer, please make sure you have the latest drivers installed.  You can usually download the drivers from the manufacture of your computer, or of the wireless adapter.

To change from the default WPA2 AES encryption method to WPA/WPA2 TKIP+AES mode, please follow the steps below.

1: In your browser go to http://systemcontrolcenter.com or http://192.168.0.1
2: On the left hand side, click on "Wifi Settings"
 photo wifi1_zpslfnmsifr.jpg
3: You will be presented with a logon screen, the default password is admin

4: Select either 2.4Ghz, 2.4Ghz Guest, 5Ghz, or 5Ghz Guest, which ever network your device is trying to connect to
5: Select the WPA Mode and set to WPA/WPA2 - the Cipher Suite should change from AES to TKIP+AES
 photo wifi2_zpsnrmctarr.png
6: Click Save Settings
7: Try to reconnect your device using the proper password for the wifi network.

Thanks, Corrosive.  

It didn't work but I'm seeing something funny now...  After making the changes you mentioned my wife's computer is now asking me for the "Security Key".   Not the password but Security Key.   I tried our router password just for fun and it didn't do anything I also typed in "admin" just to see if that was it and it's not....I also looked on my wifi settings page and didn't see anything other than my password...Any idea wy my wife's computer is asking for this to connect and what is it exactly / where do I find it??   (all other computers are OK and will connect to the router/internet after making the changes you mentioned...)

Thanksk!

Hrm, usually the router passes the encryption key to the user when the user provides the right password.

Your wifes wifi adapter might be too old, do you know exactly what model it is...?

Thanks again, Corrosive

It's a Linksys Compact wireless-G USB Adapter

Model:  WUSB54GC

Looks like it's 10years old....lol    I don't mind replacing it to see if that changes the problem.  

Funny thing...The connection was fine with the Gen 4 but once we got the new wireless router from Hughes we did away with our Netgear router and now that one computer isn't connecting...??   Weird.

I'll replace the adapter and see if that fixes things.

Thanks again, Corrosive!!

Yeah... You might want to get a newer adapter to test out... Worst thing that happens, it doesn't work so well and you can return it to the store and we try to find other solutions.  But at that age... Might be best to try replacing it.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@crispywheats wrote:

After making the changes you mentioned my wife's computer is now asking me for the "Security Key".   Not the password but Security Key.   I tried our router password just for fun and it didn't do anything I also typed in "admin" just to see if that was it and it's not....I also looked on my wifi settings page and didn't see anything other than my password...

When I connected to the HT2000W router wirelessly, both my laptop and my notebook asked for the Network Security Key.  The key it wanted was the "password" in the Wi-Fi settings.  It's also listed on the back of the HT2000W modem as the Password.

If it's not the Network Security Key you are referring to, but just Security Key, please disregard this.