cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Little data for the price

Little data for the price

I have been with HN for 6 weeks. If I could cancel I would. I explained what we need in terms of performance and if is sorely not the correct amount. The greater problem is the amount of data offered with each package. We are a house full of teachers and middle school and high school students. None of their plans are truly enough and their prices are a rip off for the amount of data they offer. I paid the same amount for unlimited data with a non-satellite company. I was forced to go to satellite based provider since I am now living out in the country. They need to increase the amount of data dramatically in each package....but they won't because they know they have us country folk over a barrel. They pretty much are our only option. I have one or two other options. When my contract is up of I can afford to cancel my contract I will be leaving HN unless their service dramatically improves for the price the customers pay. 
17 REPLIES 17
Honorary Alumnus

Re: Little data for the price

I think we all would agree with you but you have to understand there is a rather different economic picture to satellite internet over ground based ISP's

One "truth" to grasp is the fact that the "big boys", Cable, DSL, FIOS, and WISP's have already decided that they can't make money on their investment to serve your area or they would have done so already.
When a ground based ISP invests equipment in an area they are able to spread those costs out over many years. The service they install can easily (and cheaply) be expanded if business warrants, the equipment can be easily repaired if required.

They have, by their absence, told you that you do not meet their "economic business model"

The Economic Business Model for satellite internet is much different.

A satellite like Echostar17 (the Gen4 bird) had a cost of roughly 500 million dollars (yup, a half a billion), add to that several million more for launch and insurance costs ..... and here is the kicker ... it has a lifespan of about 15 years and then must be replaced.
Once designed, launched and put into operation in a geosynchronous orbit 22,300 miles up, it can not be repaired, it can not have its capacity expanded ... nothing, its just there.

On top of that, you have to add millions upon millions more for the building, staffing and maintaining of the 17 earthside Gateway facilities that handle the download/upload traffic from your terminal plus two Network Operation Centers to maintain overall operations.

It simply is a different economic picture than faced by the ground based ISP's that have already passed on serving your area.

Welcome, welcome to internet that is not quite what they tell you it is. We have had hughesnet for 17 years....or 20...it was before me and before it was named hughesnet. That is with a 1 year exception when we were working out of state. First, to get through this you have to go in and read everything you can find to possibly read about what sucks out your date.....cell phones, uploads and downloads not in the 'bonus bytes' time, websites like Tumbler that middle and high school kids go to, any videos you watch online, Utube....on and on. Download the status meter and keep it open all the time and check it all the time. I have 10 G and with just me using it to check email, get on FB and check the weather I can go through it in a month. Much less anyone else come up and get on it. Visitors coming in with cell phones....there is another one. It is NOT unlimited. It is very limited internet no matter how you twist it. Certainly not user friendly for a family with teenagers. My grand girls have wiped mine out several times. So read. Get savvy and know what you have and learn how to use it. That is all.
Freshman

Ditto both above. Good honest comments. I recently installed Google Photo Backup with FREE 15 GB storage.. OOPS! 6 GB gone in one day. Uninstall. Duh, I should've known better.

As hughesnet users we cannot download anything like that ^^^^.....we have to get up in the middle of the night to do that kind of stuff. I am getting pretty old and it is quite hard on me but it is what I have to do. Crazy. The price of living in the boonies.
Alum

Hi ktdixiecup,

As our wonderful community members have already pointed out, our Echostar 17 is a spot beam satellite and the capacity we use in any given part of the country is shared between a community of subscribers. Our overriding concern in providing the service is to ensure that all subscribers have a fair opportunity to use the capacity when they wish to and that we deliver an average service level consistent with the service plan they purchased. The busiest usage periods tend to be in the afternoon and evening and so we engineer our network to be able handle these peaks with the consequence that we have some spare capacity at other times of the day – most notably overnight. Our challenge is how to encourage our subscribers to take advantage of these lower usage periods to get more of what they need done. 

HughesNet satellite service does not pretend to compete with cable internet. By its basic nature and simply satellite technology alone, it cannot beat cable service. The price alone is not competitive. Satellites signals have to translate your data requests and send them thousands of miles into space and back. Cable technology has a shorter, less expensive trip..among other economies. 

Satellite internet simply provides an option to those that would otherwise have no internet service available. We don't purport to be anything else.

We believe that we have been very innovative in creating tools and plans to enable our customers to get the absolute most out of our service and we will continue to do so. Rest assured, we continue to monitor usage patterns across the network. If we see the opportunity to change our policies to the benefit of all subscribers we will do so. 

We appreciate the feedback and hope this, and other community members comments helped in addressing your concerns.

Thank you,
Chris

This ^ !!!   Since we got HughesNet, My sleep schedule has been topsy-turvy.  You might say that my day begins at 2 AM.

Chris,

Even though I really appreciate the comments the greater problem I have is the lack of clarification and honesty as to what your service will or will not do. I was very clear about how active my family was on the internet. I told the rep on the phone we watch Netflix daily, internet surf, work/school use, check email and facebook too. I told the rep that our weekday average was approximately 4-5 hours of these types of activities and a few hours higher on the weekends. Your rep said NO PROBLEM. If your rep was clear on the capabilities of not only the service but how data would be eaten up, I would have understood and I may would have gone with another local company that actually will monitor our use and ADJUST ACCORDINGLY. Your competitor said that although we may initial experience the same problem I have with HN, they would make sure they provided what we needed and we could negotiate according to our usage if it didn't fit in a set package they offered. THAT is customer centered. 

I refuse to wake up in the middle of the night for internet use. Especially when I am up at 6 for work.

Chris,

Even though I really appreciate the comments the greater problem I have is the lack of clarification and honesty as to what your service will or will not do. Your company needs to do a better job training your reps that sign new customers up. They gave me the clear impression I wouldn't have usage problems. I was very clear about how active my family was on the internet. I told the rep on the phone we watch Netflix daily, internet surf, work/school use, check email and facebook too. I told the rep that our weekday average was approximately 4-5 hours of these types of activities and a few hours higher on the weekends. Your rep said NO PROBLEM. If your rep was clear on the capabilities of not only the service but how data would be eaten up, I would have understood and I may would have gone with another local company that actually will monitor our use and ADJUST ACCORDINGLY. Your competitor said that although we may initial experience the same problem I have with HN, they would make sure they provided what we needed and we could negotiate according to our usage if it didn't fit in a set package they offered. THAT is customer centered service!!