cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Liz, I Need Your Help Again (sigh) $24 in TAXES?

Tutor

Liz, I Need Your Help Again (sigh) $24 in TAXES?

Liz, I have the 20GB plan for $50 for the first year.  My first bill is $74.  I called billing to find out why.  I was told $12 was for the FREE installation and the other $12 is in taxes (tele comm, state tele com, property, equipment state and equipment city taxes).  And this was with a $17 CREDIT Smiley Surprised  I didn't have all this with my previous system.  My plan was $60 and my total billed to my cc every month was between $63 and $64.  Something isn't right.  Would you please look into it for me.  Thanks!

21 REPLIES 21

Re: Liz, I Need Your Help Again (sigh) $24 in TAXES?

I did not think HughesNet charges any taxes or additional fees.  I have had service since 2008 and on a $69.99 plan.... bill is $69.99 every month (just a note I purchased my equipment).  My monthly fee has never went up in the 9 years with the service!

I expect the same with Gen5 (which I just signed up for the upgrade).  I expect to have no taxes or fees added and the price to be exactly what it is advertised now for the entire time with the service ($49.99 for 12 months then $69.99 after 12 months until I switch or cancel the service). 

Associate Professor

Some states will require certain taxes to be paid, it's possible Monicakm is in one of those states where Hughes has to collect taxes.  Usually Hughes will only collect the tax once a year to pay the state and local governments that have such things in place.

Distinguished Professor IV

I pay state and county taxes, both amounts being exactly the same, but they are very low.  

For Monicakm, it's also possible that, even though the installation itself was free, there are taxes to be paid on that installation.  My installation was free, yet I paid $7.92 in taxes on it.  

I won't have my first "regular" bill until next month, as the last one had all the prorated charges and the taxes for such on it.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Tutor

Wildcats, I've never known of them charging all these taxes.  I'm sure they didn't with my other systems.  All these taxes weren't mentioned by anyone I spoke to about upgrading.  Looks to me like HN is just trying to recoup the lost revenue from giving me the modem free of charge.  I'll get to the bottom of it.  Hopefully Liz will look into it.

Monica

Tutor

Corrosive, I'm in Texas.  I've been in Texas since the late 60s.  I've never been charged these taxes with my other systems.  I have tons of taxes with my cell phone service.  I fully expected 8.25% tax on my $49.99 plan for one year and then $69.99 + 8.25% there after.  No lease charges for the modem since I got it for free.  These details were repeated by me and the rep in Brownwood, TX many times.  Nothing about $20 MORE in "taxes" or any other taxes. 

Associate Professor

Monicakm,

Really, if you want to see exactly what is what...

1: Go to My Accont > My Bill at the top of the page
2: Click View Current Invoice OR Click View for a past invoice
bill1.PNG

3: Scroll down, then click View Site Details
bill2.PNG

4: This will pull up a list of all accounts you have, and will show exactly what is what.
bill3.PNG

In mine you can see Hughesnet - Monthly Fee - Date Range - Amount
Below that, you see Property Tax Surcharge - Taxes - Date Range - Amount
Below that, you see Equipment Lease - Monthly Fee - Date Range - Amount
Below that, you see Lease Taxes - STATE (this is a state tax here!) - Amount

It's broken down a good bit, and you should be able to easily find out what is going where.

Hi Monica,

Thanks for posting. I'd suggest following C0RR0SIVE's instructions so you can see the breakdown of your taxes on your most recent invoice. I'm looking at it as well and I see there are various applicable taxes such as telecom, property, installation labor, and equipment.

-Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Tutor

I looked at all this Liz.  All this didn't apply with my other systems.  NONE of this was mentioned during the time I was upgrading.  $30 in TAXES?  That sounds like an expense that would have been mentioned.  Sounds to me like they are recuperating the cost of the modem that they offered me GIVE me.   I know you have the ability to listen to all the conversations.  I know you have the ability to check on $30 worth of TAXES! 

My plan is $50.  I had a $17 credit.  That makes my first month $33.  Add $2.72 for tax.  Add $8.25 for tax on FREE installation.  That's a total of $43.97 for my first bill.  NOT $74 unless you'd like me to believe I'll be charged THIRTY DOLLARS IN TAXES EACH MONTH.  I think we can all agree that's excessive and someone is most likely taking liberties with my acct for the rep offering to give me a modem for free.

Associate Professor

Base Plan - $49.99
Some kind of credit - $17.00
Telecom Tax -  $??.??
Property Taxes - $??.??
Labor and Equipment Taxes - $??.?? (This could get high, while the equipment was free to you, you are still required to pay the tax if Hughes treated it as a free purchase for equipment)
Some unknown 8.25% Tax - $??.??

Would be nice to know what you are seeing per each tax, but Liz has already indicated, the taxes on this months bill are valid.