Log Delay Problem Continues

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hamradio
Senior

Log Delay Problem Continues

A lot of time has passed with no improvement.  Sometimes delays are not too bad, other times abissimal.  Tonight (Monday) at aout 8PM a modem conectivity test can be seen below.  It says I have good connectivity to the gateway.  😉

Internet nearly unusable for a while due to timeouts.

@Remy 

Capture.JPG

16 REPLIES 16
Remy

hamradio,

Thank you very much for the updates! From what I've seen, our engineers are continuing to work on a solution for your area. When you took this test, was it the only one you'd taken? Have other tests produced nearly the same results with delay time? In addition, if you could, please try disabling and re-enabling the web accelerator at your earliest opportunity. This may help with the roundtrip ping time.

Thanks,

Remy

Hi Remy,

I have run the test a number of times over the past month or so.  Sometimes it reports 600-750 ms which is reasonable considering geosat transit times.  However, all too often it reports 2000-4000+ ms.   I run the test most often when I see a dramatic downturn in connection performance.  That is when the2K-4K times are reported.  Next time I note the issue and run the test, will try with and without accel. activated.     I hope engineering can fix the issue - Sure is taking a long time!

A sidebar: In the not so distant past, with my 20GB plan, I would end the month with a little surplus data.  I know of no changes in my typical actual usage but this month (for example) my data allocation ran out eight days prior to the end of the month.  I could monitor my actual usage but have not bothered since I can't easily monitor my wife's Ipad usage (which has not increased from what I can determine.

The relatively good part...  I haven't purchased aditional tokens because even throttled back the overall throughput performance hardly changes.   Probably a result of the overriding effect of delays???

Thanks, Woody

Tonight, Friday @  ~9PM the connection all but stopped working.  Signal strength was at 107.

A look at the top of the image below pretty much explains why the internet stopped.    As you can see...

I performed a power-down modem reset and ran two more tests (2 & 3) with and without Acel enabled.  It  got better after several minutes but never was very good.

Woody

@Remy Untitled-2.jpg

Looks as if something jammed up the modem, which re-powering solved. The inability to contact the acceleration server was a symptom of that, but not the likely reason.  This is also likely separate from the lag issue.

Incidentally, whenever I see something like that - to include not being able to reach a particular web site - that's the first thing I do: re-power and clear the modem's DNS cache. I wish there was a more expedient method to solve it but there isn't.

I still find the high lags very curious. You, maratsade and myself are all on the same beam and we don't experience anything quite that high. This points to something local to you. Has your modem ever been replaced? Installation inspected? Or, perhaps something on your computer is interfering with the TCP stack?

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Hi Mark,

The modem was replaced some time back in one attempt to fix the poor throughput.   After the change, there was no noticable difference. 

A long time ago a field service tech came by with orders to re-adjust my dish.  Not sure why since my signal strength (not counting bad weather) is/was typically >100.  While he was here performance was reasonable - He spent almost no time investigating further.

As to the TCP stack, I have no idea what could be interferring with in in an imtermittant manner...

FWIW, the DNS server has been changed a couple of times.  That did not help either.

Also FWIW, when I run a connectivity test there are significant pauses in the progress bar.  More pauses = longer reported delays.

What I find curious is that the problem comes and goes with no known changes on my end.   ???

Would be more than happy to further investigate possible issues on my end.  Any suggestions?

Today (Sat) at 10:45 AM, got this:

(signal down a bit from usual 100+, at 88 - currently have some rain):

Capture.JPG

Here is another at 11:05 AM:

Capture.JPG

After I post this, will pwr dwn the modem then post one more test.

...Woody

Here is after the modem re-start.  Signal is up to 97.

Capture.JPG

Also ran a ping:

Capture2.JPG

Another ping a few minutes later:

Capture.JPG

Ping response varies a lot.  ...656 to 3007 ms...

Woody

The DNS server wouldn't account for the DNS cache inside the modem getting corrupted. In fact, the DNS cache getting corrupted is likely more an indirect result of many DNS queries during a lengthy ping gap.

As far as what's causing the gap, it could be anything from a bad Operating System upgrade, to some hardware inadvertently tying up processing. Something I've even seen lately while using an RTL-SDR is that they can wreak havok if the USB connection is disturbed, almost to the point of causing cyclic kernel panics on my Mac. As an aside, my AirSpy HF+ is a much better device for HF and limited VHF (and isn't as finicky), but the RTL-SDR goes DC-daylight and is best for monitoring trunked comms.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Mark,

Just an FYI...  I have a RTL-SDR.  Never experienced any resultant problems, have not used it in quite a while.  I also have  a SDRplay RSPdx.  Do use that some.  Much nicer than the RTL-SDR!

_W_

I'm having a blast with these things. It's really gotten me back into radio.

I mainly use the RTL-SDR for experimenting with HD Radio (nrsc5, nrsc5-gui on github) and a trunk tracker called SDRTrunk (also on github). All my DXing is done on the AirSpy HF+ Discovery using Gqrx and a thing called SdrDx. The AirSpy is a lot better with sensitivity and dynamic range/image rejection than the RTL-SDR, especially on HF. The RTL-SDR runs a little hot too, so it may be very possible that it has a bad solder joint somewhere.

Edit: Forgot to add that on HF the AirSpy does especially well with digital signals. I can output a DRM signal through a virtual audio cable and decode it using Dream, or do something similar using SDR# in a Windows VM and pipe the audio into MultiPSK. Working more signals than I ever did with my NRD-535D!

Roger on all.  I might use my RTL-SDR as a panadapter for my Elecraft K2.  Have drawn up a buffer circuit to pick off the IF signal but not yet inspired to open the K2 and install.  Also have used my RSPdx with vertiual audio to receive FT8 with WSJTx..  It too does a great job.

My biggest problem is not enough antennas 😉   Have coax relay ant switching but a dedicated antenna for the RSPdx would be more convenient.  

Would like to put up a large diskcone.  Wife already complains some about my current antenna farm.  Think she would not like me to put it on the chimney (no room on the tower without a major jib arm). 

BTW, delay is not too bad today at 650 ms ±.  Wish that report was returned more often!

Woody

Last night (Wed) delay reported was typically 650ms ±.  Sluggish but usable.  Today not so good.  Signal is 107.  Timeouts on sending email - went through on 5th attempt.    Took a very long time, but got logged in here...

Capture 2-18.JPG

Wow!  I thought it was bad before...  I managed to login here but it took many tries and was very slow.

A few minutes earlier, got this:

Capture.JPG

The Hnet service tech just left.  He could not find any issues on my end.  So, what to do next?

@Remy 

hamradio,

Seeing that our engineers still have you on their list for areas they are working on, I'll continue to monitor the situation and specific case to see if there are any noted fixes or updates in the near future. It's unfortunate that the technician wasn't able to find any issues on-site, as I was hoping having eyes on-site may help. In the meantime, we will continue to make sure your service is discounted until this issue is resolved. We apologize for the inconvenience, and appreciate your understanding and cooperation on this matter!

Thanks,

Remy

Hi Remy,

Thanks for all...  Performance is decent at this moment.  Too bad, that historically, it does not last long.  Hope a solution can be found!

Woody

hamradio,

Thank you for the additional information and tests! Please refer to your PMs, as I've messaged you about the best step to take here!

Thanks,

Remy