Advanced Tutor

Re: Long-Term Business Model For Hughesnet

But the cost is real high.
OK. Compared to what?
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
Honorary Alumnus

"But the cost is real high."

Not compared to the cost of a satellite with a lifespan of 12 to 15 years then needs replacement.

Compare that to the cost to TWC of laying a fiber optic cable to your door that can be expanded or repaired as required and they can use for the next 50 years.

Oh wait ! you cant compare that because they have already decided that even with a lower cost basis they cant make money off of you.

Assistant Professor

dkfamily, the other satellite internet provider is quite a bit higher in cost, at least in my area. Satellite internet is not cheap compared to ground based internet that is true but comparing services that are as different as night and day.
Assistant Professor

Lol Gwalk! TWC laying a fiber optic cable to your door. That is a good one!

Assistant Professor

Jezra, from what I've read there are competing LEO systems being proposed and don't think HughesNet is investing in all of them. I May be wrong once more.
Honorary Alumnus

Well, past your door !

Fact is when Verizon was upgrading all the wiring along my road a couple years back I though "WOW, maybe DSL soon ?"

I asked the guys working on it and, after they stopped laughing, replied with "Not in your lifetime".

Pretty much a done deal as they say.

Satellite is my only viable option for the foreseeable future so it is incumbent upon me to understand how my Hughes system works, its strengths and weaknesses.

I could complain about how Hughes isn't cable ...... but I know that and I know why.

Advanced Tutor

Assistant Professor

And the other guys: http://arstechnica.com/science/2015/06/onewebs-constellation-of-700-low-altitude-satellites-will-be-...

Going to be a lot of refrigerators whizzing around over our heads.  Smiley Happy
Advanced Tutor

"WOW, maybe DSL soon ?"
As reported elsewhere on these Forums, in our area at least, AT&T is actively killing off DSL Service in favor of their more expensive (and profitable) UVerse cable and cellular data services: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/at-t-killing-off-dsl-and-landline-phone-service-t...

For sure, this is happening right here, right now. If it wasn't for satellite, 1,000s of households within 50 miles of me would not have Internet service at all. 

If anything, choice and competition in our area is going down - not up.

It may well be that satellite Internet's pricing models will actually put competitive pressure on other services such as cellular and hold down their pricing  - already more expensive than satellite.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com