cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long-Term Business Model For Hughesnet

Associate Professor

Re: Long-Term Business Model For Hughesnet

Going to be a lot of trash falling on our heads once those things want to give up.

I am all for LEO, but we only need 2 or 3 companies and good regulation to control those companies for a LEO based system, otherwise our lower orbit will be way too crowded in the end.
Assistant Professor

Charles, I would certainly hope they'd design them so at least 99% of the satellite burns up on re-entry. Of course, only takes part of that that 1% that makes it back to the ground to kill you if really unlucky. Then there is the property damage aspect. 

Surely at the very least there will be a way to guide them to burn up over the oceans.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for sharing your feedback. This is important, so we've escalated this to our management. 

-Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Hi Liz:

Thanks for the kind reply.  I like Hughesnet and want to see it succeed and prosper over time.  Even though what I said is somewhat obvious,  I felt the need voice my concerns.  As a technology worker, I am aware of the expense and challenges involved in providing this service so I am not expecting miracles.   It would be good to see Hughesnet gradually improve its service as the cost point drops due to improvements in the underlying technology.  My concern is that the company will not invest a sufficient funds to assure a constantly improving customer experience. 

Peter

If anything, Hughes Net has gotten worse, because they've started offering a voice plan which eats up bandwidth (and speed) that internet customers used to have.
Assistant Professor

Honestly don't think it has much impact. Voice bandwidth is pretty small compared to other usage. I believe 128-150 kbps can provide decent phone voice quality.

https://www.myvoipprovider.com/en/FAQs/VoIP_FAQs/Whats_the_minimum_internet_connection_speed_I_need_...

Not like a huge percentage of customers use Hughes VoIP. Would be interested in the number though. 
Advanced Tutor

Hughesnet is most likely using G-729 voice protocol, which sips data at about 24 kbps.

There's just not that many HN Voice customers to make much of a dent at that rate, even if they were all on the phone at the same time. Ask yourself how many minutes you're on the phone per day?
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com

The HughesNet Voice service does not deduct from your monthly data allowance.

-Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->