cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loose service when it rains, echo on phone

Freshman

Loose service when it rains, echo on phone

Live in midstate Tennessee, new to Hughes Net, though have had Direct TV for some time. Every time we have even a moderate rain the system stops working, when the rain lets up it has to reboot. Spent nearly an hour on the phone with Hughes Net technical support (in the Philippines), seemed to be going in circles system checks out ok right now, there would be a time & materials charge to look at it, but I can't call Hughes Net when it's not working because my phone is also Hughes net. Finally asked to speak with a supervisor, who indicated that rain fade is an issue with Satellite internet. Offered to credit my account for the cost of a service call after I pointed out my concern that the antenna was installed pointing into a large hemlock tree, but I would have to pay for the call because the system was working when I reported the problem.

Also have an annoying echo on the phone, people we call hear their own voice echo back at them with a delay when speaking to us. Tried to speak with someone in Hughes Net's phone service, went around with this person who said they couldn't look into the voice problem since I had reported a Hughes Net internet problem until the internet was fixed. Problem is that the internet problem was rain related, and the system was working fine (not raining) when I spoke with the representative. Seemed to be getting nowhere with phone support, then I was disconnected, which ended the conversation. Note that this was the second time I was disconnected during this session, in neither case did the representative attempt to call me back. Thus one looses continuity and basically has to start over navigating through voice mail and explaining the problem.

So right now I give Hughes Net's technical support a F- grade. I don't understand why companies that derive a significant portion of their revenue from US based customers cannot have (and employ) US personnel for phone support. This way one does not have to work through cultural and language issues while trying to resolve a technical problem. 

Have a service call scheduled, will see what transpires when the representative calls.
12 REPLIES 12
Alum

Re: Loose service when it rains, echo on phone

Hi kashblack,

Welcome to the HughesNet community! Thank you for posting so that we can take a look into this matter. Typically the first thing we troubleshoot and/or check when your VoIP system is having difficulties, is your overall communication with the satellite. If they found that there is a line of site issue, then fixing that concern will probably fix your VoIP as well. I can pull up your account using your profile information and I will investigate a bit more to see what we can do for you as well. Once I have something to report I will let you know.

Thank you,
Chris
Honorary Alumnus

If your alignment is "marginal" you will lose your connection more easily. It really takes a torrential downpour before my system goes down.

What is your normal "clear weather" signal strength ?

That echo on the phone will drive you nuts but it isn't solely HughesNet that does that.  My brother lives in Madison just outside Nashville and sometimes his will do that.  He is on cable internet and VOIP.  When I quit working on Automobiles due to arthritis in my hands I went into technical support for Satellite TV (C-Band at the time) and that darn echo happened all the time.  I will admit it is annoying as hell but not HughesNets fault it is common with VOIP and PBX as well even with cable.
Alum

Hi kashblack,

I just did some investigating and see that there is a scheduled dispatch for July 26 for a technician to come out to your house. The agent also offered you a credit of $125 dollars to make up for you having to pay for the visit. This should be resolved once they find a better solution for placement of your dish. Let us know how everything goes with the dispatch. 

Thank you,
Chris

As far as understanding the person on the other end of the line goes, I have had to ask for someone who speaks better English a few times before I get someone that I can understand.  They are just reading from a script, I believe, because I've had the exact same thing repeated to me over and over again.  Don't be afraid to ask for a better English speaking rep.  It's your right.  You're paying them.

Just spoke to a rep in Brownsville Texas today Heavy Mexican accent but did understand him after I ask him to repeat things a few times.  Just goes to show you it doesn't matter where they are from there will be problems at times.  Like someone in New York will speakveryfastandyoumayneedthemtoslowdown while us Okies will say W e l l  I  r e c o n  w e  c a n  g e t  t h i s  f i g g e r e d  o u t  r i t e  n o w .  It is cultural and there is no answer.  Outsourcing is part of business it is a World Economy and someone needs to work the graveyard shift.
Freshman

Yes, the support person was definitely reading from a script, and whatever i said didn't seem to make much of a difference, he just went back to the script. I finally asked for a supervisor, who listened and proposed a solution.

On an earlier post, Gwalk900 asked about signal strength - how do I check this and what is considered "good"?

As to the echo - its not clear to me why this should be inherent in VOIP - is it because the voice is immediately digitized and the local monitor (heard in the receiver) is derived from the digitized signal which has incurred some latency from all of the associated processing?
Highlighted

Hi Kashblack,    You can check your signal strength by going to http://192.168.0.1/  at the top of the page you'll see the words System status click them, towards the bottom you'll find your signal strength.  I'm not exactly sure whats "Good" in the dead of winter my installer informed us, they shoot for 125. In the the winter mines a steady 120, In the summer It sways in between 105-115
(trees become a factor). When it storms it'll drop lower, usually unnoticeable till it hits 60 when pages fail to load, around 30 connection drops out alltogether but usually not for long!
Associate Professor

A signal of 80 or higher is acceptable, depending on your beam, location in the beam, and surrounding areas.  Just note, the lower the signal is on a cloudless day, the easier it is for it to go out in the rain.

But, ideal signal is 100+, installers should always try to aim for I think it's 125, but in some areas it's impossible.  My area, you can't score 100+ at all, multiple dishes, none above 100 unless it's dead middle of winter, and your insainly lucky.