cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loosing MB with LAN disconnected

Loosing MB with LAN disconnected

Hoping you can help. I am in remote Alaska and our sat phone keeps dropping HughesNet calls. I have a case # 743703. We just got online after 2 weeks of struggle and now I see our broadband usage is 15MB per hour with the LAN cable removed. We are on Legacy and trickle 18MB per hour. When we loose 15 MB per hour we are left with 3MB or.....they are not reloading us. Any suggestions??
35 REPLIES 35

Re: Loosing MB with LAN disconnected

Other information so that you may research this issue is an email contact case number of 47737705 and our modem serial number 2150368....a HN7000s

We continue to loose 15.81 MB per hour....whether the LAN is connected or not. We are only checking email and will soon have to use another token. This is the site we use to check our usage - http://customercare.myhughesnet.com/frm_usage.cfm?http://customercare.myhughesnet.com/select_modem.h... 

Since we receive a loss of generally 15.81 per hour with the LAN cable removed, I can only assume this is a HugheNet problem....not our home network or computers.

Is anyone available to help us?  Can we get a pin # for your 888-301-1236 number?? I've used nearly 200 sat phone minutes just getting online....now this. If only I had another choice.
Associate Professor

Alum

Hi Tina,

Welcome to the community and thank you for your post. We will investigate your site to see what is the source of your data usage. Also before these events started, what type of usage did you witness when your LAN cable was removed? Looking forward to your reply.

- Chris
Alum

Hi Tina,

We looked into your concerns and we did notice the recurring 15.81mb of data use.So we have a few things that we want you to troubleshoot. Follow these steps and post screenshots once you have them. You can also try downloading GlassWire. This program can help you monitor your network and give us more perspective on what is using the data.

We understand your frustration and we appreciate you as a customer. I will go ahead and add 3 free tokens to your account to make up for all the troubleshooting. You will receive an email confirmation soon. 

Thank you,
- Chris

First off, thank you Charles S. for your note...could you tell I was stressing??

Chris,
I have been monitoring my broadband with a HughesNet tool. We are on Legacy and use the usage tool on customercare.myhughesnet.com 

This first shot was taken right after we got on line. The things to note are on the 13th between 5:00 and 15:00 (that's 1AM and 11AM Alaska time). From then on we see nothing less than 15MB.

The second screen shot includes a couple of timeframes when we unplugged the LAN. One on the 16th between 5:00 and 11:00 (1AM and 7AM) and again on the 16th from 20:00 to 0:00 (4PM to 8PM). Note that all entries are over 15MB while being unplugged.

OMG!! Today it seems our allowance is being replenished and the modem is not blinking, blinking. I am wondering if it will continue to behave and what you might have discovered??

Thanks so much to this community and the access it provides!!!!  Today I am feeling a little more in control. I will post again if we have more concerns.

Tina
Alum

Hi Tina,

Sounds good. Let us know if anything else comes up. We'll keep this post open for you just in case.

Thank you,
Chris

Dang....it's back!!

Yesterday we noticed an unusual drain on our account......dropping more than it should have since we were in the garden most of the day. So, as a test, I removed the LAN cable at about 1AM Alasak time ( 5:00 on the chart) this morning when I reconnected we went from 41% to 21%.....no connection to our network.

HELP!! The last time this happened the phantom usage was 15.81 an hour and NOW IT SEEMS TO BE 31.60 MB an hour. I might note that we shut down all our devices between 22:00 and 2:00 although the LAN was connected then - it continued with the drain. Then I disconnected at 5:00.

I'll include an accounting and hope you can help again.

Anxious awaiting your response. Will add a token this morning and probably again in 10 or so hours.
Tina
Alum

Hi Tina, 

Thank you for posting this update. I understand that you have been using the usage tool for some time now. What you will need to do for us to get accurate results is download the status meter and follow the steps I posted in the screenshot above. Once you do, post them here including the time they were taken so that we can better assist you. I'm curious though, you mentioned that your modem was no longer blinking, can you be more specific? Which lights are you describing?

Also, to clarify why we recommend using the status meter, please refer to this previous community post: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/usage_data_calibration_is_complete 

I hope this helps and we look forward to your reply.

Thank you,
Chris

Highlighted

Chris,
When I mentioned the light were no longer blinking, our problem had been resolved. With this reoccurrence the lights are blinking again. Primarily the transmit and receive lights.

When you ask for the status meter are you referring to the meter sent out by the modem? "Dowload Allowance Status"? Or specifically your meter. They report the same.

I have your meter loaded on our computer. This was taken at 9:32 AM Alaska time. It is all the data that we get with the Legacy program.

Hope this helps in the analysis. I'll be loading a token and will try to take some shots as the day progresses.
Tina