cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loosing MB with LAN disconnected

Alum

Re: Loosing MB with LAN disconnected

Hi Tina,

So from here you would need to unplug the modem from any router or computer. You can basically leave the SAT in and SAT out coaxial cables and the power plugged into the router. There should not be anything plugged into the LAN slot of your modem. Just to give you an example:

Once you have disconnected. You will need to wait several hours, preferably while you are at work. When you return home, plug the LAN to the modem and then directly into your computer and take another screenshot and post them here. It also might be better to take another initial screenshot if you kept the LAN cable plugged in after you posted. I hope this all makes sense. We hope to hear back from you soon. 

Thank you,
Chris

Chris,
It does make sense because I've done it several times. I will wait until I run out....just a few minutes away and reload. As soon as I've reloaded and have my 350MB, I will pull the LAN cord from our system.

We live in bush Alaska and do not leave to 'go to work'  but....plenty of garden work today so I will stay offline. Will aim for 5 hours.

UPDATE: So I am just following through with your request although these screen shots seem pointless now. I did notice that the blinking transmit and receive lights stopped soon after we made contact.

I did this same process last night and our allowance was used up with the LAN disconnected. I know it wasn't my imagination and these screen shots of the status meter are not indicative of last nights status meters and usage.

In any event it seems that you stopped it again. If you have an answer please let me know. I am curious. Is it a hiccup in your engineering department or do you suspect something at our end. (Not sure how that could be if we were disconnected unless it's the modem or modem software.) Will look forward to your reply.

Thanks again...although I feel less than confident and will keep watching. 
Tina

Off at 11:40AM - after loading a token

Back on at 5PM - It's a beautiful sight!

Alum

Hi Tina,

Your results lead me to believe that there is something from your network or computer that is the source of your data usage. Have you installed any new software around the time this began happening?

We also have sent your concern to one of our engineers to see what we can do for you. Please continue to monitor your site. I'm curious to see if this will happen when the "lights are blinking" as you described. That would be the best time to take additional screenshots of your status meter for us. We will update you once we have more information, however feel free to update us as well.  

Thank you,
Chris

Chris,
Well, here is an update.....someone pulled the drain plug yesterday and our allowance dropped even when the computers were off the router.

This morning I used a token and before I could check that was transferred we were down by 1%.  99% looks good but after checking our mail and shutting the wireless off on all devices....plus an hour with the LAN unplugged we have dropped to 69% in 3 hours.

That just checking mail....no videos, no remote images loading. Turn on the wireless...check the mail...check the modem allowance graph.....turn off the wireless.

I have observed the following. When we actively use the internet the Receive and Transmit lights are blinking. When we are busy with our day and HughesNet is functioning properly, I look at the modem....the lights stay steadily lit. 

Under these Phantom drains on our allowance the lights continually blink....whether we are surfing, checking email or when the LAN is disconnected. 

Another observation is that these drains on our account have occurred on May 13, 16, 27 and June 3. Three of the 4 are Wednesdays. Currently the drain started on the 3rd and continues today, the 4th.

I will perform your disconnect the LAN test this afternoon and will report if there is still a drain. I do realize that HughesNet sends and receives apart from our usage but feel as if it may be coming off our allowance.

Hoping you find an answer as HughesNet is becoming more of a burden than a service. I close this note with a 66%...a drop of 3% while composing a note. Hmmmm...doesn't seem right.
Tina

OK, I pulled the LAN at 12:20 and we were at 55% and 193MB. Reconnected at 5:50pm and we are at 19% and 65 MB. That's 128 MB while the LAN was disconnected.
This was at 12:20 pm.

This at 5:50 - 5. 1/2 hours unplugged. As I mentioned the Transmit and Receive lights continued to blink when disconnected. We are using the modem graph which always has the same percentage showing as your status meter....we just prefer to see the MB remaining!
HELP! I'll be loading another token tomorrow.
Alum

Hi Tina,

Thank you for the update. I think the best course of action for us to pinpoint what is causing this unidentified data usage would be for you to download Glasswire. This application keeps logs of all the activity on your network. It charts usage over time so you can easily see spikes, as well as which apps caused them. It can also give you a notification if a new application accesses the internet, which can help identify problematic or malicious applications before they do anything too harmful. You can download it here https://www.glasswire.com/. I do think this will be a great tool that you can utilize. It will help us with identifying more precisely the source of your data usage. 

Thank you,
Chris
Highlighted

Chris,   Tina's first line in her post states: OK, I pulled the LAN at 12:20 and we were at 55% and 193MB. Reconnected at 5:50pm and we are at 19% and 65 MB. That's 128 MB while the LAN was disconnected.

Maybe you should check for that 13.1.1 error as Glass wire will ONLY detect ACTIVE net activity. When the LAN is disconnected from the HUGHES modem EVERYTHING is isolated EXCEPT the hughes modem meaning absolutely NOTHING on your end can connect.....

Tina I'm not all that familar with a Legacy plan SCC but ya MAY want to list your time zone as with GEN4 most of SCC runs in UTC time
Honorary Alumnus

Lets be sure on where the LAN is being disconnected:

Hey Gwalk900,
Thanks for considering our usage problem. Yes, I am removing the cord from the modem LAN port. ...essentially cutting off the router and all devices. At this point the transmit and receive lights would blink which I believe indicates the sending and receiving of data. Today?? The lights are steady unless one of our devices are being used. It's a good day.......

Chris,
I generally do not connect the Windows based computer.....have a MacBook and iPad on wireless. I use the Windows to startup, register and troubleshoot the modem at the beginning of our summer season out here. That computer currently requires some updates which I will do during the free download times and will get back with you regarding the Glasswire reports.

That being said, I must, again explain that this drain is happening with the LAN cord disconnected and NONE of our devices are connected to the modem. The blinking lights, according to the HN7000S literature indicate the transmitting and receiving of data. The lights would be blinking with the LAN disconnected.

Today we have steady lights and I may feel that I can load a token without mysteriously loosing it. I will continue to monitor our situation and can't help wondering if there is some scheduled maintenance or engineering event that happens on Wednesdays that kicks our modem into this over usage ( which seems to come off our allowance) .

Thanks for your continued diligence in researching this problem. I'll update you regarding any repeat of the usage drain!!
Tina