cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loosing MB with LAN disconnected

Alum

Re: Loosing MB with LAN disconnected

Hi Tina,

Just so I understand your previous post about disconnecting the modem at 12:20pm to 5:50pm; was the date you disconnected your modem on 6/4/15? Looking forward to your reply.

Thank you,
Chris

Melissa,
Good point to minimize confusion. I'll report in EST which is how the Legacy plan reports seem to be set up..
That would make my 12:20 Alaska time -16:20 EST and 5:50 / 21:50.
Thanks for pondering our phantom usage issues!
Tina
Highlighted

Chris,
Yes, I performed the LAN removal test on the 4th. We initially noticed the drain on the 3rd....it continued on the 4th and at that time I pulled the LAN for the test. I gave you Alaska time which would be 16:20 to 21:50 in EST which is how the legacy plan seems to do it's reporting.
As I mentioned, today the modem lights are holding steady but as sure as it will rain here in Kodiak I feel we may see this drain again, Maybe next Wednesday?? Will let you know and look forward to your discoveries.
Thanks,
Tina

Hi Tina, Just wanted to give this a bump an see how that drain was going...  To be honest I'm also a bit curious to see what Chris found out IF anything as a week with no reply is well a bit crazy SMH...

Melissa,

Thanks for thinking of us. It’s been quite a ride with HughesNet this year. 

My husband is so sick of me asking if he logged the percentage and our usage that he may stop using the computer!!  I get sick to my stomach when I see the percentage drop but have to say we may have found a temporary fix.

Let me say that it took 2 weeks to get back online this summer. The emails that I sent (from the neighbor which is a boat ride away) were respond with...’We will call you tomorrow.’  We are off the grid and have no phone. Same with the chat....  Just getting connected was the most frustrating experience.

This community responds and gives a person hope!  Kudos to this group!!  Anyway...we got connected and then ‘the drain’. I do go on...sorry.

With that background you might see why I was NEVER going to turn that modem off again, once we made a connection.  I knew it wasn’t our network so.....at the last drain (blinking lights and dropping MBs)  I pulled the power and rebooted the modem. ( you may say ‘duh’...but in the midst of the turmoil you don’t even think of the basics!)  It seemed to settle down for a bit.....later that day I noticed a drain and I rebooted again.  We seem to be ok for the last 3 days. 

That doesn’t seem to answer my concerns and I was hoping Chris would come back with an answer. Is the modem software corrupted, is the modem bad or are the engineers just messing with my mind...what is the answer? I welcome any thoughts.

The last drain was on June 10th and I will continue to watch and reboot. It’s not time to close this post yet.

Tina

Hi Tina, Glad you found a TEMPORARY fix,  hopefully chris has something of value to add Smiley Happy Here's another slight bump as your back on page two..   Just to satisfy curiousity,   at the time of the drain before rebooting the modem did you hapen to notice an intense slowdown or pages not wanting to fully load?? Did you happen to notice any currently active state codes noted in SCC before you rebooted??
Honorary Alumnus

Tina,

One thing to keep in mind when calculating your usage is the now "odd" way that 7000 system refill.

Unlike the "monthly" Gen4 and Spaceway3 systems that refill on a specific day for the entire month or the Legacy Spaceway3 plans with "daily refill" which occurs at a specific hour .... 7000 systems refill with an "hourly drip".

That hourly drip only occurs during the 18 hours of the day that does NOT include  the FREE TIME HOURS .  No refill occurs during the hours of 2am to 7am EASTERN TIME. Those hours are Eastern time for ALL users regardless of regardless of their own time zone.

To further complicate tracking refill/usage/loss issues is the fact that some transponders  on some  of the Ku band satellites serving the DW6000/HN7000s systems had a "Data Bank" feature enabled where a subscriber could "bank" up to two days of Daily Allowance.

The rate of your "hourly refill" is 1/18th per hour of your plans rated Daily Allowance.

If your plan had a 475 MB "daily allowance" you would "refill" at the rate of  26.38 MB/per hour (475 /18) and that refill would occur between 7am to 2am EASTERN.

Alum

Hi Tina,

Thank you for the update. I apologize if I have not updated you in a while. Keep in mind your system is one of the older legacy systems. I have had to get some advice from other colleagues in how to interpret some of the diagnostics from your site and it was taking a bit more time than I expected. However I have been monitoring your site all through this process. Here is a screenshot from the 4th of June:

What this chart shows are the different states your computer can go into throughout a 24 hour period. If you look at the LAN row you can see that it is consistent throughout the day of June 4th. If there was an X in this row at any point that would indicate that a LAN cable was either disconnected or defective in some way or another. 

After gathering your status meter screenshot, what we will need to do is ensure that when you disconnect the LAN cable from the back of your modem, the top light of your modem labeled 'LAN' shuts off. Then you can leave it unplugged for a few hours while you are out. When you return home, be sure to plug in a single device if possible to your modem. Take a screenshot of your status meter and compare. We'll be able to compare your usage reports and time that the cable was disconnected on our end after you let us know it has been done. 

Thank you,
Chris

Melissa,
Sorry for the delay...we've had company for 2 weeks!! To answer your question regarding a slowdown....I really didn't notice that. Perhaps I was concentrating on the drain! At this point we are holding our own. I'd like to think our problems are over but still wonder what the cause of that drain was!! Again...thanks for considering our problem.

Gwalk900,
Sorry for my delayed response.

As I was educating myself on the HughesNet systems (Starband terminated our service last summer) I must have seen your explanation on the 7000 system.

It was so helpful and I was watching the hourly drip and during the drain and we were exceeding our approximately 18+MB per hour for our 350MB per day! How depressing and frustrating.

I thank you for the 'How it works' as it helped me analyze the whole mess.

At this point in time we are doing OK....still don't know why it happened or whether it will happen again. 
Thanks..