cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Losing data ? Read this:Unpopular Windows 10 privacy problems now available for Windows 7 and 8, too

Honorary Alumnus

Losing data ? Read this:Unpopular Windows 10 privacy problems now available for Windows 7 and 8, too

There has been more than the normal number of complaints lately regarding loss of data.

It may be worth checking into what updates have been installed on Win7/8/8.1 machines:

(The entire article can be found here http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/unpopular-windows-10-privacy-problems-now-available-for-windows-...)

Unpopular Windows 10 privacy problems now available for Windows 7 and 8, too

Revisions to Windows 7 and 8

Also last week, Microsoft revised its service agreements to Windows 7, 8, and 8.1, with the intention of blocking unauthorized or pirated games and software. But the end result, as Forbes put it, is that “Windows 10 worst feature [is] installed on Windows 7 and Windows 8.”

Ghacks.net first discovered and reported on the Windows 7 and 8 revisions on Aug. 28, under the innocuous headline “Microsoft intensifies data collection on Windows 7 and 8 systems.”

The blog post itself uses more pointed language, saying that “The operating system slurps data like there is no tomorrow, especially when systems are set up using the express settings. ... it is nearly impossible to stop all of the data collecting that is taking place. While users may disable some, for instance by using privacy tools (of which there are plenty), others cannot be disabled or stopped that easily, for instance because of hardcoded host and IP address information that bypass the Hosts file of the operating system.”

Avoiding privacy problems

The simplest way to avoid the worst privacy problems in the Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 updates is to not install them in the first place. If they've already been installed, it's possible to disable some of them either by using the Control Panel (instructions here), or by using an elevated command prompt to run the following commands:

• wusa /uninstall /kb:3068708 /quiet /norestart

• wusa /uninstall /kb:3022345 /quiet /norestart

• wusa /uninstall /kb:3075249 /quiet /norestart

• wusa /uninstall /kb:3080149 /quiet /norestart

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Losing data ? Read this:Unpopular Windows 10 privacy problems now available for Windows 7 and 8, too

THANK YOU Gwalk. Informative stuff, very good to keep in mind.

-Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Advanced Tutor

Re: Losing data ? Read this:Unpopular Windows 10 privacy problems now available for Windows 7 and 8, too

gwalk900,

Have you any idea how much data these new updates are eating?

Does it show on Netguard or Glasswire?

Reggie
Honorary Alumnus

Hi Reggie,

I cant say from personal experience as I have mine locked down pretty tight.

There is this from the dslr Microsoft forum:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30271335-WIN10-Ed-Bott-at-ZDNet-on-WIN10-spying

The usage would be sure to show up in Glasswire.

Keep an eye on the "upload" amounts both in Glasswire and the dashboard history usage graph:

But years of being on a HN7000s system taught me how to lock things tight:

Advanced Tutor

Hi gwalk900,

Thank you for the information.

The reason I asked I paid my School Taxes today & I have a little extra money saved for an upgrade to my system.

I'm still using Vista.

I have been doing a little research on different OS's.

This helps me decide, I need more research.

Reggie
Highlighted

Glad I got so paranoid about Windows 10 and turned everything off, I don't have to do anything to fix the problem.
Freshman

I have Windows 10 on my laptop and am at the old house tonight day (not on satellite). Will have to go on and figure out how to lock it down, then do the same with DH's desktop before he moves it to the farm.

I spend more time on the internet on my Kindle Fire. It seems to use very little data for the most part. Except for streaming. It doesn't seem to give me any options I can find to reduce the resolution. :-(