cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Losing data allowance..help!

Losing data allowance..help!

I have been with HughesNet for over 11 years. I have been using a Wi-Fi router now for over 7 years, and have had a Kindle Fire HDX for the last year and a half. It is my primary device; I rarely turn on my laptop. In the last week or more, I have experienced a dramatically in data allowance. I have had to add tokens numerous times, and losing all that allowance within an hour or so. I have been on the phone with HughesNet numerous times, and they finally told me to call HDS for a complimentary evaluation. I called and for $130 they said they can fix the problem. Really??? I see no postings that tell me this problem has been fixed. I am not alone. Why am I suddenly losing data allowance...they recommended I upgrade my plan. That is not the solution. At the rate I am losing data, even the 50GB plan would not be enough. Any advice other than changing providers would be appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6
Alum

Re: Losing data allowance..help!

Hi Carol,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. I apologize your experience with us lately wasn't good, we'd like to help address your concerns. Please post a recent case number or the HughesNet modem's serial number (on the back/bottom) so we can pull up your account.

Also please follow these troubleshooting steps so we can get started addressing your unidentified usage concern:

Please take care in cropping out your SAN while taking the screenshots.

Keep in mind there are countless factors that can use your data. The most important tool to download is the Status Meter, available in the Customer Support Center, to help you monitor your data usage: supportcenter.myhughesnet.com. Finally, do you currently have a password for your WiFi network? I just want to rule out your networks security setup as a possible leak.

Your patience and cooperation is appreciated as we work to address your concerns, and we look forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you,
Chris 

Thank you for your quick response. Where do I go to get the screenshot.? HughesNet customer service looked thru my entire diagnostics yesterday. I don't remember seeing this page.
Late afternoon/early evening yesterday, I was not on my Kindle, but the usage chart showed I used 2.7GB. Overnight, I was sleeping, and my usage showed 3GB used. On the last call (Case#47879220), the Rep added 10GB to my Anytime and 50GB to my Bonustime. Told me to make sure they showed on my control center before calling HDS. I don't feel that I should be paying to fix this. HughesNet has this same problem with many customers, not just me. I do not have a Facebook Account, have not been streaming movies or Utube during the time I am losing data. I have a password on my Wi-Fi router. The previous Case number from yesterday was 47874907. On that call, the Rep had me remove the LAN cable for 2 hours, and was told to call back which I did, and after thorough diagnostics evaluation, was told to call HDS for a complimentary evaluation. HDS does not do anything complimentary. Told me it would cost $130 for them to fix. I decided to do more research before making any commitment. I feel Hughes Net should be fixing this especially after reading so many posts with the same issue.

To add one one thing, I did download the Smart Meter on Sunday with the help of a Hughes Net rep....it is n my laptop. I tried clicking on the icon on my homepage the next day and it wouldn't work. I am using the usage chart on Customer Care site.
Alum

Hi Carol,

Thank you for posting with a case number! The screenshots we need are from the status meter. If it is not working, try restarting your computer, or uninstalling and reinstalling the application. It can be reinstalled here if need be: supportcenter.myhughesnet.com 

You can use the snipping tool or utilize the print screen key on your keyboard to capture your desktop with the status meter open. The snipping tool is an application that normally comes installed on windows.

Also, is your router secured by a password?

With all of the unidentified data usage cases brought up in the forum, none have proven that the isolated HughesNet modem generates data, although if ever there was significant usage while the modem is isolated we would then escalate and have our engineers investigate further. Otherwise, if there is no usage when the modem is isolated. Then the data usage source is on the user side.

That's why we have the illustrated LAN cable tests and steps for unidentified data usage cases. Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns and we look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you
Chris

I have been on the phone with another HughesNet rep this morning. His advice was to close all running Apps on my Kindle. I just called Kindle and they showed me how to close down the running apps. I will check my usage in the next hour to see if that fixed the problem. Will update the posting with my results.

To answer your question, my router is secured with a password.
Alum

Hi Carol,

We appreciate this update. Looking forward to see your results.

- Chris
Alum

Hi Carol,

It's been about 4 weeks since we last heard from you. I hope all is well. I will go ahead and close this thread. If you have any other questions or concerns feel free to create a new post.

- Chris