cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Losing data at extreme rate

Breninithaca
Sophomore

Re: Losing data at extreme rate

So last night I powered off the modem and as expected had no data loss. Tonight I will leave it on but turn off all devices and try taking pics again.

I do have what may seem like a weird question. Is it possible a device could be connecting and not showing on my connected devices list? My dad has a pacemaker and it transmits data overnight to his doctor's office so that they can track if he is having cardiac events. It has a little unit that it connects to via wi-fi (isn't tech amazing) that takes the data and transfers it through our home phone line which is running through one of those InnoMedia boxes. Is it possible it could be using the data? I have no idea how much data it uses, it basically transfers a 24 hour EKG to the doctor's office every night around midnight. And if it is using HN, how can I stop it, he needs it to work!

MarkJFine
Associate Professor

It may be possible it's using the wifi then disconnecting, and not even going through the phone line. If it's just using the wifi to stay on the same network in order to communicate to the Innomedia processor that shouldn't use anything at all because it's never leaving the LAN.

Are you sure it's not bluetooth instead of wifi though? Thought that's what most of those devices used between sensor/processor.

In the case that it's the Innomedia box that's going out via wifi instead of phone line (and the sensor/box connection is BT instead of wifi), then you should be able to default it to not even see the wifi... even lock it out by it's MAC address.

You should be able to see the MAC addresses in the listing on the bottom of that "Connected Device Info" page at the bottom, where it says "Currently *Disconnected* Devices". It gives the DTG when it was disconnected in UTC, not local time. If you're truly in Ithica, NY, then subtract 4 hours from what's displayed to get local time.

It might also help to track down and maintain a list of all the MAC addresses of devices that use the internet in your house.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Breninithaca
Sophomore

The InnoMedia box is showing in Glasswire as one of the active devices on my network. My Innomedia box connects to my modem via an ethernet cable and then out to our primary home phone via RJ11. Our secondary home phone is wireless. We don't have a land line anymore.

His pacemaker is a St Jude's it's about 2 years old. The transmitter is a Merlin EX1150. According to the user manual the Merlin transmits via cellular data or wi-fi whichever one it can get a better signal from. I'm only guessing that it's using our wifi because our cellular service is so poor here (only 3G). I know it's working because if it fails to transmit for even one night, the monitoring company calls us the very next day to find out why.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

You may have noticed that you're only getting responses from fellow subscribers.  It is very likely you will not hear from Hughesnet staff (they will have the label "mod" next to their name/handle) until you actually follow the protocol listed in https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Where-s-my-bytes-Testing-for-data-leaks/m-p/77194#M5...

Once you post the required screen shots, a mod is likely to get involved.  

MarkJFine
Associate Professor

To say that I'm so thoroughly confused by some of the technical assertions made in this conversation would be an understatement.

If Glasswire is running on a separate computer on the network, how can it detect traffic from anything outside of that computer, more specifically the wifi section of the modem?

Look, the only way you're going to know what's accessing your modem (not your computer) is precisely what I told you to look at regarding the MAC addresses. You need to look here.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Breninithaca wrote:

So last night I powered off the modem and as expected had no data loss. Tonight I will leave it on but turn off all devices and try taking pics again. 

If you do so, please be sure to first disable the WiFi as explained in the instructions I posted.  Performing the Modem Isolation Test without disabling the WiFi will render the results useless.

Again, the purpose of the Modem Isolation Test is to determine if the modem itself is using your data, and to do so all means of device connection to the modem need to be severed, including the WiFi.  Disconnecting LAN cables is easy enough, but WiFi is trickier, in that you can't rely on all WiFi devices to not try to connect, so the only way to ensure that nothing will/can connect via WiFi is to disable that possibility in the modem itself. 

EDIT:  After reading about the situation with your father's pacemaker's need to be able to transmit data, it may just be best to not run the Modem Isolation Test.  It's the type of test that can't be run partially, and if the modem's WiFi can't be disabled because of his pacemaker's need to connect via WIFI in order to transmit its data, which is more important than a data test, of course, it would be best to not bother running it.  

With this said, if you're able to run the Modem Isolation Test for four hours, which is the minimum required for the test, you can still run it if those four hours won't interfere with the pacemaker's data transfer.  That's your call, of course.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Amanda

Hello Breninthaca,

Just checking in before the weekend comes around to see if you have found anything based on some of the suggestions here in your thread?

Thank you,

Amanda

Amanda

Hello Breninithica,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include your updated response so we can better assist you.

Thank you,

Amanda