cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Losing data regardless if we consume it or if our computers are powered off

Losing data regardless if we consume it or if our computers are powered off

Losing data regardless if we consume it or if our computers are powered off has been an issue for us for many months as well. When I called to inquire about it I was given the run around by a representative who obviously didn't know what she was doing. She just had me pull up my account online to take a look at my daily usage. That's it! How is that supposed to help my situation? I'm fed up with the overly priced service especially since we keep losing data while our computers are off.

Last month we were out of state for 2 weeks. Since we live off the grid we have to turn the power off to everything except our refrigerator. When we got home our data was decreased by 45%. How is that so?

I can't wait until my contract is over. I am definitely going with another company unless things change with Hughesnet such has lifting the limit to the of bandwidth allowance, put a stop to loss data when the service is not being used, and make the pricing more reasonable. 

However, I'd like to point out the other than speaking to the customer representative in regards to this matter, any other time I have had to call for a problem (mainly billing), I have been treated with utmost respect and have been very satisfied with the manner I was treated in.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Very slow speeds and data disappearing..
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Losing data regardless if we consume it or if our computers are powered off

Hi Liz,

Thank you for your post, we want to address your concerns. Let's start by isolating the HughesNet modem to see if that is the source of the unidentified data usage.

Please take care in cropping out your SAN while taking the screenshots.

Keep in mind there are countless factors that can use your data:

- more devices are capable of connecting to the internet: phones, tablets, gaming consoles, SmartTVs, and even refrigerators can connect wirelessly to the internet. Keep track of what devices you leave running on Wi-Fi.

- automatic-updates: your computer and any other programs you use will often keep working in the background, even if you're not actively using that program, in order to keep your system/program up-to-date. Anti-virus programs will periodically use your internet connection to check back with their malware database for any updates. You should have an option to turn off auto-updates and/or schedule them for a later time.

- multimedia content: Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, news sites, and other websites will contain videos, animated gifs, and sound clips that may start playing as soon as you land on the site. So much content, so easily available almost everywhere on the internet. For starters, try disabling auto-play video on Facebook:
https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/how_to_disable_autoplay_videos_on_facebook
or adjusting your Netflix playback quality to SD: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

- more data sources can be found here, as posted by a fellow community member:https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-usage-sources-common-and-not-so-common

The most important tool to download is the Status Meter, available in the Customer Support Center, so download that if you haven’t already: supportcenter.myhughesnet.com

Your cooperation and patience are greatly appreciated. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Liz
Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.
Highlighted

I will perform this data usage troubleshooter over the course of the next few nights. I don't think that 1 night is sufficient enough to troubleshoot the lost data.

However, in regards to wi-fi, first of all, we have it disabled. Secondly, we don't have any appliances (such as a refirgerator as you suggested) that uses wi-fi and we have the wi-fi option disabled on our smartphones. 

As I had stated, we live off the grid so we are very conscious about our appliances. To conserve the energy that we bank from the sun we unplug everything, except the refrigerator, when we go to bed. Therefore, nothing should be tapping into our wi-fi.

Since I am attending an online college program, we are very cautious in regards to the bandwidth that we use, since HughesNet likes to monopolize on the bandwidth usage. My husband, nor I, use Facebook, Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Tumblr, Instagram, or any other website that may contain videos, animated gifs, sound clips, etc. Living our type of lifestyle (self-sustainable and off the grid) you have to be very cautious and well aware of everything you do in regards to energy and bandwidth consumption.

Liz Johnson

Fantastic, we look forward to hearing back. For reference, here's a good example of what the troubleshooting steps should yield: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/per-your-data-usage-troubleshooting-graphic-our-d...

Please let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Liz
Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.
Freshman

In my missing data scenario, all accessing devices (literally) are taken away when we leave. I experimented on purpose with data streaming because I had so much data left last month, so I know what it goes through.

My router is secured. I even went in and redid all the passwords and banned our cell phones to prevent ghost logins after the password change.

The previous month light surfing when taking a break from a project or the couple of sleepovers before my streaming experiment barely budged the data amount. This month it had the alarming decrease (into low 90s with no real reason) and then after tech visit is in the mid-80s (he said you guys did QC checks on my speed and stuff tested badly and he was sent out to check and do possible realignment).

We have been having the same problem, losing data even when everything is disconnected and we are out of state as well.  Tried disconnecting everything so only the modem was on while at home and guess what - massive data losses.  Was on the telephone with a rep and they could see that data was being used and in 10 minutes we lost over 2Gb, yet was not connected.
Been trying to get bad speeds and data fixed for over six months now and nothing.

Hi to everyone with the exception of the original poster who has already begun the troubleshooting...

Please visit this thread then create your own post so that we can get started assisting you on your data concerns. - https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/wheres-my-bytes-how-to-test-for-data-leaks

Thank you
Amanda

My first 30 days, fine, no problem. Our internet habits are old, like us. They don't change. Yet second month befor a week was up we were almost out of data. Nothing had changed except we were past 30 days. And I'm seeing so many post just like this.

I guess I'll just have to suffer until after the first of the year for income tax to pay the disconnect. Our maybe small claims court

seems to be a ongoing issue with hughes. The day my gigs refreshed, over half was showing gone in less than 6 hours of refreshing. No one home and PC was pwered off. We do not have neighbors within 1/2 mile so no one else could even try to connect to our router and we have it protected anyway.

Only answer I received was someone must have used it, but they could not tell me what it was used on.

Can never watch videos as says connection too slow (direct tv movie library and PPV) yet test says running fine. Such bull. I have to connect to my cell phone to use the internet and get anywhere!!

Please visit this thread then create your own post so that we can get started assisting you on your data concerns. - https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/wheres-my-bytes-how-to-test-for-data-leaks

Thank you
Amanda