cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Losing internet connection

Highlighted
Sophomore

Losing internet connection

My s/n number is B30010018883AA. A HN tech came out Monday of last week to fix my connection since I and HN CS could not resolve my problem over the phone.  The tech "rebooted or reinstalled" from his laptop. Everything working fine until yesterday. Hubby  said internet was fine in the am but when I tried to get on yesterday afternoon, same thing no internet. I called HN and after 2 hrs including advanced tech, the internet was restored. What is going on? I could not get an answer as why I am losing connection. My modem ( when it is not working) will have 2 lights lit (LAN and power). Let me add that I did a reboot to see if that would correct the problem but it did not.  The advanced tech changed the lat and long setting. Does this mean I am going to continue to have these outages?  If so, I need someone to send me directions so I can reset the lat/long setting without staying on the phone so long and speaking to someone that I can not understand.  It is very frustrating . 
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Losing internet connection

Have you made sure all the connections are snug? Also, a bad ground/no ground can cause these type of issues. 

When you go to http://192.168.0.1 does it show any problems?

Welcome back Nancy/Ralph,

Thanks for posting. Let me pull up your account and see what may be happening.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Associate Professor

It's certainly not good that only power and LAN are lit up, means the modem has rebooted for some reason in most cases, and chances of them being able to actually access the modem IMO are slim...  The following can cause a reboot.

Bad Coax cable - when the modem senses that the cable is potentially shorted, it will go into a reboot to see if it clears up, however, it can get stuck if the cable is actually bad.  Saw this during the very first month that Gen4 was operational on a neighbors system.

Power Quality - the modem is connected to a known good outlet that is supplying between 110 and 125v with minimal noise, correct?  It should not be plugged into a power strip, surge protector, nor an UPS.  Most UPS used a modified sinewave, which can cause havok with the modem, and power strips can do funky things.

Bad connection of the cables, check to ensure the power cable is fully seated into the back of the modem, and at the wall.  Never unplug power from the modem at the back, always unplug power from the wall before touching the connection on the back.

Faulty Modem - It happens from time to time, and a bad transmitter can also cause this issue, it will certainly require some good diagnostics from Liz/Amanda/Chris to see what needs to be done.

@Brandon - in my experience, if the System LED is turned off, you can't get to http://192.168.0.1 

Edit: Liz managed to beat me it looks like.. Bleh.
Sophomore

Hey Liz and others,

My internet is working fine now. I am just wanting to know when it happens again I have the instructions as to how to make it start working again. Brandon the answer is no to your question. The Cs rep had me enter systemcontrolcenter.com and we went from there.The connections are fine here in the house.

Hi Nancy/Ralph,

Your remote diagnostics are showing everything to be OK, and I double checked to see if there's any possible service interruptions that may have caused your disconnect, but there hasn't been anything lately.

I see you have a router in the mix here, it could be possible that that could be a cause for concern. If the intermittent connectivity persists, I would suggest temporarily connecting your computer directly to the HughesNet modem, perhaps for a day or two if possible, to see if you still are losing connectivity. 

For future reference, you should also visit the System Control Center (http://192.168.0.1) if you're experiencing a disconnect and then take note of when it happens and the state code to post here.

Charles, if the System LED is off, we can't check their SCC remotely, but the subscriber at the terminal can still access it themselves as long as the Power and LAN LEDs are on.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Sophomore

Liz,

Thank you  for the prompt reply.  I am assuming you reviewed the two conversations I had with HN CS concerning my outage and the code numbers I gave them on each incident.  If the net goes back down again, I will have no means to contact you until I get the connection back up and running.  This leads me back to what I asked earlier,  is there anything in black and white that I can follow to restore my connection , that is if I experience the lan and power lights only working without me having to call HN CS and stay on the line forever to get the connection back on?  Thank you for your help in this matter. Nancy Moore

Good morning Nancy,

The state codes I've seen in your latest cases with us regarding intermittent connectivity are the usual codes that come up when you're power cycling or reinstalling the modem. Power cycling is something you can do, but the re-installation does require phone support.

However, since this has been going on for a while, and another potential cause for the state code I'm seeing is a bad coax, I'd like to send out a complimentary tech to replace that coaxial cable, just so we can eliminate that as a root cause.

I've secured the earliest available slot for you, which is Monday, Jan 18, 2016 between 8:00 AM - 11:00 AM, for the tech to visit. Call us at 866.347.3292 and reference case #52035321 if you need to reschedule. Please let us know how the site visit goes. 

Thanks, 
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Hi Nancy,

How did the Jan 8 visit go? I see you have another visit scheduled for Feb 1. Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz