Lost Allowance Problem Solved - Dish Tv WiFi

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ecoalex2
Tutor

Lost Allowance Problem Solved - Dish Tv WiFi

With a phantom lost of allowance for 2 months, I removed the antenna from the Dish Tv box , my usual usage has returned, no phantom loss of allowance this month. Our usage is very steady, the increased loss of allowance, 3 months ago baffled us. We lost our allowance, and tokens, and was throttled, a first for us in 3 years, with no unusual usage. The culprit it appears was out Dish Tv box WiFi . We don't use pay per view , so no loss with the antenna disconnected. Our allowance now is normal with 6.1 Gb remaining with 11 days left for the month.
I hope this suggestion helps anyone who had phantom loss of allowance, unaccounted for.
When in doubt disconnect all wifi devices you can , and see if your allowance usage decreases.
It worked for us

22 REPLIES 22
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

ecoalex,

Thanks for sharing the final chapter in your data loss problem.

Way back when a Hughes user had a single computer connected directly to the modem. It was then a case of all on the data used was used by "something" on or in that computer or an issue with the modem itself.

Things like switches and routers were limited more towards small business or commercial establishments.

At some point, everyone and everything, wants either intra or internet access but consumer understand did not keep pace with the home/office router offerings.

As true "broadband" became more prevalent in the US router manufactures offered more Bells & Whistles on their offerings and just as importantly many of their "out of the box" default settings were set to accommodate users with true unlimited broadband connections.

Then along came those of us with data capped internet services.

What is not well understood is the many "connection paths" that having a router at the heart of your Network creates:

Here is a functional diagram of a small home/office router:

Broadly speaking there are THREE areas that a router can allow the use of your data:

#1: The most likely least known or considered is the routers "internal" functions. These can cover several areas:

Firmware updates that can use data or even get in a update/fail/update loop. This will chew up data like its going out of style.

The next internal area is are any router "protection" services enabled?"

As an experiment I had enabled two of these three router services and they used just over 1/2 GB in about three days. These would run unseen. They are not "on" any connected computer or device. They run at the "router" level.

Many router manufacturers enable these features by default due to the perception "everyone has limitless broadband".

The next internal router usage area is in various "sync" functions:

Again, this potential usage is at the router level ... you will see the drop in available data on your usage meters but nowhere else unless the router has an internal "data tracker"

To the lost of "internals" we have to look at Guest Accounts, WPS and few other items. In may cases these are enabled by default and overlooked during Network creation.

#2: Wired devices.

Any and all devices that connect to the router by Ethernet cable will have unlimited access to the Network. This will also include access to the routers internal GUI settings page unless the default username and password have been changed.

#3: Wireless access.

By default there is no wireless security .. all frequencies, 2.4 & 5 GHZ are unencrypted ... open network, anyone and anything within range (including your visitors cellphone) can connect and use your data .. unknowingly.

Another wireless device often overlooked is wireless printers. They can offer potential WAP of connections bypassing other security/access settings besides using massive amount of data on their own in the form of firmware/software updates.

In the end the simplest way to see what is running is to get a better grade of router that will show by device, including usage by itself just what device used what data including who, when and where.

ecoalex's "leak" could have been pinpointed very quickly and easily with a router that tracks data.

If you are going to "Network" on a data limited connection arm yourself with the "tools" that allow you to see who, what, when and where your data is going:

Chris11
Alum

Hi Ecoalex,

Thanks for sharing with the community. This is good info that may help the next customer 🙂

- Chris
ecoalex2
Tutor

I do have another permanent WiFi connection- the Solaredge gateway. All it does is data. It didn't use any appreciable bandwidth since 2014 when it was put in use.. I did have some updates many months ago, no appreciable bandwidth usage.. I use Linux, any updates are under my control, i dwnload them or not. There was no reason I had used up my allowance, except the Dish Tv WiFi. Dish is supposed to use it's beam for programing updates etc. The WiFi was supposedly only for pay per view movie ordering, instead of a phone line.Obviously for me this somehow was corrupted, the disconnect of the antenna bears this out.
Imagine a Hughes subscriber using an Amazon Echo . or the Home devices. It would eat up bandwidth greatly.

I believe if a phone can use WiFi instead of cell tower, they must have an app installed for this usage.I don't have this app installed, no one else is here, so this is eliminated.

The Dish WiFi was the only other culprit.

It is a drag, as I lost my tokens out of this learning experience, I had the Dish Box for 2 years before , no problem.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

I've not heard of Dish TV doing this type of thing, but I have heard of a DirecTV receiver doing it, so it's not all that surprising.  I'm certainly glad you were able to determine what it was and rectify the situation. 
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

It still gets back to router security.

If the routers GUI default username and password have not been changed and secured then the entire network is vulnerable.

If it is connected by wire, it is "in" ... full network access and permissions

If WPA2-Personal wireless encryption is not enabled for all available wireless frequencies then the users data allowance as well as all connected network devices are vulnerable.

If Guest Accounts are not disabled ... it is "in" ... full network access and permissions

If Remote Access hasn't been disabled the network is vulnerable

If WPS hasn't been disabled the network is vulnerable

If all router internal cloud and sync services have not been disabled then the users data allowance is at risk.

GabeU

If it is connected by wire, it is "in" ... full network access and permissions
Are you speaking strictly of a device (like a desktop)  being connected to it with a LAN cable? 
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Yes, anything connected by wire has access to all network recourses except those limited or controlled by username/password such as the router GUI that holds the "Keys to the Kingdom". This would include any connected "interfaces" such as network drives and so forth.

GabeU

Ah.  I was confusing ""in" full network access and permissions" with "vulnerable." 

I was thinking, "Well, that's a  bummer.  No more connecting my desktop with a LAN to the router while my laptop is updating wirelessly."  LOL. 

Eh.  It's been a long day, so it's no wonder I was confused.  Nearly three feet of snow since Wednesday evening.  I need a break.  LOL. 

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

We supposedly got about 11-12" here along the west Michigan shoreline but is hard to tell because of the high winds. It has climbed all the way to 10' F.

Wool prices are sky-high at the moment 🙂

GabeU

We're one degree above you at the moment, and not a whole lot of wind, but there sure was earlier.  I've felt ten below zero nights that didn't feel this frigid.  It took two hours in front of the space heater to warm my freezing toes.   

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Was 12 degrees this morning here plus about an inch of snow. Down here in the southern mountains things come to a crawl when that happens. We have very steep roads with 180 degree switchbacks, not fun with any snow and ice.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I had to work last night.

The 30 mile drive home was "Interesting".

Rather like looking closely into the south end of a sheep facing north.

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

Gabe ,

I live about 20 miles from Corning Ny. This year the snow has gone north or south us. This is very odd. Usually we get the weather after you. In places I see grass. Only getting the cold.    
GabeU

That certain is odd.  I know Corning usually gets quite a bit, too, though the lake effect bands have usually petered out somewhat by the time they get to you. 

Unfortunately, I'm right smack dab in the middle of the worst one that comes off of Lake Erie.  It's not unusual for the small village I live just on the edge of to get the record for Western NY at least two out of three years.  

To add, we are prepared for it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't get very annoying.  LOL. 

ecoalex2
Tutor

We are waiting for an atmospheric river to dump rain/snow in No Cal.
The map showed 6-11 " rain by late Monday. Warm rain will melt the new snow to 8500' , Flood preps are everywhere. We're in the foothills 130 east of San Fran the foothills, so are out of the  Central valley. All this will go east to ya'll 🙂
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Poor California seems to be either drought or too much rain every year. I fear mudslides will be in the news next.  😞

Very long state so maybe not an issue where you're at.
GabeU

This is from this morning.  I'm in Perrysburg, the first one listed under Cattaraugus County.  We've gotten about another seven inches since then. 

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

Wow, I'm glad that is not our forecast.
GabeU

Eh, pretty much everyone's got a 4X4 here, and everyone either has a plow, or knows a friend who does, for clearing out our driveways.  LOL.  We're up on a hill compared to everyone else, so we almost always get more than the surrounding area.  Dayton, which got half of what we have gotten, is only about three miles from here, but they are a bit lower, and on the "other side" of the hill with regard to the way the bands come through.  They are sort of protected.  About the only advantage to having this much snow is that my house stays warmer because of it.  Nature's free insulation.  LOL.  

OTOH, when Buffalo got slammed with seven feet over three days a couple of years back, we got about a foot at most.  Sometimes we do get lucky here and everything's reversed.  LOL.   

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

WE have 4x4's a plowtruck 4wheller with a plow. 400 ft. driveway. Everything ready for the snow. We don't mind if you keep it for yourself. lol