Hughesnet Community

Lost Data several days in a row!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
clburke

Lost Data several days in a row!

For the past several days I have been losing half of my data every day even though I have not been on the computer.  Instead of my status meter showing 100% every morning it would show that I have only half of my daily data allowance.  Contacted hughes net several times over the past several days and they kept telling me it wasn't a problem on their end.  I updated my router and I disconnected all of my devices one night and rechecked the next day and again lost almost half of my daily data overnight even though I turned off all devices.  So last night  I disconnected the LAN cable from the modem to my router and rechecked this morning.  Again almost half of my data was used up even though all devices were disconnected and the LAN cable was disconnected from the modem.  Contacted hughes net and told them what I had done.  I felt that I had shown that the problem was not on my end but hughes net.  All hughes net told me to do was for me to disconnect my LAN cable again tonight and let them know again tomorrow what the results are.   Really??!! Another day of losing my data and they wont take the time to fix their problem?  I'm paying big money for a data package that is not working right and they put if off?  I even asked since they are making me wait another day and I felt that I showed that the problem was on their end, they should at least give me a token to use today to get me through today but they said "no call back tomorrow".  Now really considering going to a new provider since hughes net is not concerned about fixing their problem. Seems they want my money but don't want to provide the customer service.  Case # 54727929, 54728135, 54730423,
18 REPLIES 18
clburke

Talking about customer service, just got a call from hughes net.  They wanted to set me up with hughes net service.  Huhhh????  I told the person calling I have been a hughes net customer for years but needed technical help!  He stated that he received information that I wanted to set up new service not to provide help.  Come on Hughes net, I need help! not to set up a new account! 
Chris11
Alum

Hello Christy,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! I'm sorry to hear of your experience. It can be incredibly frustrating to run out of usage. Especially when you feel theirs unidentified data usage. Bear with me as I will need the test run again. However we'll need screenshots this time around.

I'll also be providing you with token bandwidth for the inconvenience. Just to explain a bit further on what we'll be looking for. Mainly your modem logs the time and duration of unplugging the LAN cable. So we'll be looking to confirm it was disconnected and reconnected. So as long as the timing matches up we'll be able to see a clear indication of data use or not. Please follow these directions and post your results.

Just make sure to crop our your SAN when posting pictures for your privacy. As for the token bandwidth you may receive notifications of purchases however there should be no charge for them. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you,
Chris
clburke

Thank you.  I will do this tonight when I go to bed and post tomorrow. 
Tammy Lee

I got my reload on the 18th of June and I was out of data by the 26 th of June they said I used 26 gb on June 20 between 4 p.m and 8 p.m I don't even get home from work on Mondays until after 5 p.m so nothing is on and auto update is turned off on everything. I have one computer which I never use but once In a blue moon, we don't watch TV online cause I have direct TV, don't have it hooked to the Internet because I know what will happen with the data so I basically just paid hughesnet for money this month for services I can't use I really think the ftc needs to start doing some investigating into some of this because I know my iPad didn't use that much data no matter what but what the heck we customers are always wrong and never know what we are talking about.
weed10

We watched three tv episodes on Netflix and used 6b??? When we set up this service a month ago I explained we have 4 kids..what would be the best plan blah blah well it reset last Thursday the kids are not home and literally the only thing we have done was watch 3 half hour long episodes and we used that much??????? Guess their rep was way Wrong when he said Netflix wouldn't use much!
mhilton

Have the same problem, you are not alone...

evenignstar
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

It all depends on what definition you have Netflix set for.  LD uses approximately 300MB/HR, SD 700MB/HR, and HD 3GB/HR.  You have a finite amount of data per month.  You'll have to adjust your viewing/usage accordingly.
GabeU

clburke,

Why would your status meter show 100% every morning?  It wouldn't.  If you use 5% on day one, it will show 5% used, and will show the same on day two.  If you use another five percent of your monthly allowance on day two, then it will show that you've used a total of ten percent, as it will the next morning.  It's a running total.  Your usage is an aggregate total for the month.  It doesn't reset every day, save the first ten or twenty days of your service, depending on plan and modem.  After those initial days, it's a monthly reset.  If you have 10GB of Anytime Data, that's for the entire month.   

GabeU

Tammy Lee,

To address your individual issue, it would be best to start your own post.  Explain, in as much detail as possible, what is going on and anything you have tried thus far, including what the online reps may have said to do. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Gabe, legacy plans have a daily reset instead of monthly.

The amount of daily refill is small compared to the monthly refill of newer Gen4 plans. One video can easily consume half, if not more, of daily data depending on definition.
GabeU

Ah, didn't realize the OP was on a legacy plan.  My bad.

I was on legacy plan for eleven years.

clburke

Ok, Chris, when I went to bed last night the meter showed 0% but you gave me a token to get some work done (Thank you by the way!) so around 4 a.m this morning the meter still showed 0%.  But around 5 a.m this morning the meter finally reset but it showed only 50% left and that I had used 375 mb of data at the reset.  Attached is the snap shot.  At 7:40 is showed the same thing so it didn't change in those couple of hours.  The meter seemed to start off at 50% instead of 100%. Thanks.

Tammy Lee

They didn't say what to do only that they don't know what is using it and they are sorry
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

That is how the daily reset works with the new meter. Only time it will show 100 percent is if you don't use any data one day and it carries over to the next. In other words two full days of data equal 100% one day of data is 50%.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you say is happening.
GabeU

Tammy,

Okay.  Still, if you would like help, it's best to start your own thread and describe what's going on, and the people on here will help.  It's just easier and less confusing to keep each person's issue separate, that way when someone makes a comment to help they aren't accidentally posting it to someone else or giving you advice on someone else's problem.  You can even copy and paste what you already said to start off the new post.  And you can almost always get more help on these boards than with the phone reps.  That's nothing against the phone reps, but it's true.

Chris11
Alum

Hello clburke,

BirdDog's explanation is correct. You have a legacy plan. You would only see 100 percent if you did not use the internet/data for one day. It rolls over. Your refresh limit each day is 375 MB. The total limit that can accumulate is 750 MB. That is why it will always say 50% if you've used up your daily reset amount each day. Here is a screen capture I took from your modem logs that I hope will provide more clarity. 

If you look at the Anytime Data Refill Rate it states that each day you will get 375 MB to use. If at the moment I took this screenshot from your modem you did not use anymore data today. You would start the next day with 612 MB(81%). So your data is not actually being used when unplugged. I hope this clears everything up for you. If you have more questions please let us know.

Thank you,
Chris
Chris11
Alum

Hi Tammy,

We can help you here. There is always something we can do. From the sound of your explanation they may not have done a thorough check. Please create a new post. Include a some case numbers or your modems serial and we can help you from there. 

Thanks,
Chris
GabeU

Tammy,

The modem serial number can be found on a sticker on the back or bottom of the modem.