Lost data...again

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hcamardelle
Sophomore

Lost data...again

Massive data loss last night.  None of my devices updated, nothing running in the background, network secure, no windows update needed (mac), blah blah blah.

I had nothing update that I could tell on any of my devices and I lost close to 15 gigs.  15 GIGS!!!!  Heck If I updated my OS it'd only be 6 gigs, and my system does not update without my permission.  I'm so frustrated right now.

Actually frustrated isn't the word I'm thinking of.
13 REPLIES 13
John Estes Gamb

My name is John and I have the very same problem .... All my data was used in 5 days to include the bonus gigs. The rate of usage has increased tremendasly. I have had two tickets in for research of this problem. HughesNet is essentially ignoring my requests and essentially putting down consumer error. I have not gotten one email on results of any research done on my data usage. I have a app that tells me where my data is being used. There are places from Russia, Greece, Lithuania, and some from all over Africa ... How r they using my data? Unfortunately I can not explain it ... I'm not a tech person.

What's going to happen this week, I am going to file a complaint with my states consumer division at the district attorney's office. I have collected enough information I can use for the complaint. From there I will let the "legal system" do its thing. Businesses have a prodical they must follow in a business that complies with the federal statutes on the "consumer bill of rights".

Thus, good luck with your case and what ever u do follow prodical with an attempt to fix you issue with them ... jot down whom u speak to + their badge or employee ID #, time you spoke to that rep or "tech" as hughesnet likes to call them, etc.. This way if it comes to a consumer complaint with your issue, you have information to back up your complaint. If enough complaints follow through ... HughesNet and Viacom must answer those complaints in a satisfactory manner according to consumer protection statutes.

Anyway, take care and good luck.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

John,
Hughes is an ISP. Their responsibility ends at the modems LAN port. It does not extend to a users networked equipment .
There are divide and conquer procedures you can employ to discover the culprit.
This would start with a modem isolation test to rule out the modem using data by itself .
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

One thing I forgot about, Windows 10 will use your computer to send the update out to others on the internet unless you turn it off: http://www.groovypost.com/howto/stop-windows-10-sending-updates-other-pcs-internet-wudo/

https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-10-windows-update-delivery-optimization
hcamardelle
Sophomore

I just got off the phone with HughesNet technical support who after instructing me to unplug my modem for 4 hours and making note of my data allowance had me plug it in again and it showed that it was down .1 gig.  That's a megabyte isn't it?  So with my modem unplugged it used data?  How is that normal?  Evidently it is according to tech support.  I made my feelings known, in a respectful manner, that I was not happy with my service and thanked her for her help.

This happens monthly to me.  It always seems to lose a gig or so for no reason.  When it's more, it's a simple matter to track down the device that updated without permission.  That's not what occurred this time.  I'd venture to guess that a vast majority of the issues here deal with lost data, but I've never experienced a loss of this magnitude, and it ALWAYS occurs at the end of my month.  This happened within a day or two of it resetting so effectively I'll be smart browsing around 28 days of my  30 day period.

I'm not the guy who downloads movies or tons of videos via my service.  I make it a point to check my devices daily and if any updates are needed for apps, iOS or whatever, I do them during my bonus time when it's allowed.  I do this for all five of the devices I have connected to my very secure router.  I've never screamed at the top of my lungs at the tech support people, and while my post above has a definite tone of dissatisfaction, I hope I wasn't rude.  If I was I apologize for the offense.

For the record, I asked the nice lady Milo (who was very helpful) to be sure she updated her records to reflect that I was very, very, very (yes, three very's) unhappy with HughesNet at the moment.

I realize that I'm just a single dwelling on HughesNet, and if I were to take my business elsewhere, it would matter little to them.  There are many many folks like myself who experience this daily who will also get little to no relief from the ghost data thieves that seem to fill this forum.  That's just life I guess.  I just hate paying for service I'll never receive.  I would never do that to one of my customers, but I guess it's different when you have a million customers.  Losing one isn't a big deal really.  Is it?

I've been a customer since 09/08 as near as I can tell, and I usually defend HughesNet, but not today.  I'm very very very unhappy.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

.1 GB is 100 MB
You want accuracy ?, you want detail ?

Now, note the exact time and don't even wait to shut down, just disconnect the Ethernet cable from the rear of the modem.

Wait several hours, reconnect the cable and make the very first thing you do is to connect to the Dashboard and take another screenshot of the same meter while noting the exact time.

Post the "disconnect" screenshot and tiem and then post the "reconnect" screenshot and its time.

The forum Mods will take it from there.
John Estes Gamb

It's funny how I do not hear this at the start of my service .... just sayin .....
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Hear what ?
Doesn't common sense apply ?
You don't call a plumber for an electrical problem.
It is not up to Hughes to dig into YOUR network connected devices.

Usually you will, once Hughes has determined that service is being made available, refer a user to a third party service such as HTS or a local computer repair service.

Hughes provides ISP services, this does not include OS support, malware/virus/worm/keylogger IT services.

You don't call General Motors when your car runs out of gas.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

I have a app that tells me where my data is being used. There are places from Russia, Greece, Lithuania, and some from all over Africa ... How r they using my data? Unfortunately I can not explain it ... I'm not a tech person.

You might want to hire a tech person, as this has nothing to do with Hughesnet.  Hughesnet is not responsible for what YOUR computer does, nor how your data is used or who it's used by.  As stated over and over again, Hughesnet's responsibility ends at the LAN port. 

BTW, when you called the police on Hughesnet did you call them direct or did you dial 911? 

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Depending on what's being done on a users network prior to the disconnect, the meters can appear to show some data loss as they aren't updated instantly, there is a slight lag-time between using the data, and any of the meters reflecting that usage.
Amanda

Hi John

We understand you filed a complaint with Consumer Affairs last month as well. This should have been forwarded to our corporate office and you should have gotten a reply by now. I did try to find out more from you about your concerns in your original post but never heard back. You are welcome to start a new one.

Thanks
Amanda
Amanda

Hello hcamardelle,

We're sorry to hear you are having data concerns again. Since we can rule out Windows 10 being the culprit, have you considered things like iCloud Drive automatically syncing? Since the bucket meter is checked by the Hughes network in intervals, the 100MB could be used during a reading interval but before you unplugged.

The easiest way to figure is out is to get some fresh data. As Gwalk mentioned, performing the test with the screenshots and posting the results here with the date/time information will help us to get started.

Thanks,

Amanda
Chris11
Alum

Hi hcamardelle,

We haven't heard from you in a few days. Please get back to us soon. I'm sure we can assist and help you get control of your unidentified data usage concerns. Looking foward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks,
Chris