Lousy coax cable

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
good31994
Freshman

Lousy coax cable

I have a tech coming out tomorrow to replace a coax end for the THIRD time. The core wire rusts out leaving a gap between the cable and the weather proof fitting inside the connector. 

Does anyone else have this problem? How did you correct it? This is particulary aggravating as Hughesnet is charging me  $125 to essentially correct their improper installation.

Customer service? No such thing. I was on the phone for 3 hours trying to get this resolved.

7 REPLIES 7
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Sorry for the slow reply, the Community is in a state of update and the Mods have been very busy stomping "Gremlins".

In regards to your coax ... Hughes requires that installers use an approved coax cable. Among other requirements, it needs to have a solid copper center conductor, all outside connections are required to be filled with dielectric grease and then be properly weather sealed.

If you have "rust" I suspect that someone may have used a copper-clad steel center conductor.

Hopefully the Mods will pick this topic up shortly and respond to your issue.

It certainly needs investigation.

Hello good31994,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. Gwalk is correct, the coax must have dielectric grease applied as well as be weather proofed by the technician. Please let us know how the site visit went today. I have also sent you a private message, so please be sure to look out for the red notification on the envelope icon near the top right of the community page.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

It is very important to remember that Hughes specs demands a solid copper center conductor ... NOT copper clad steel.

I asked the tech to give me the coax connectors. Looking at them through a magnifying glass, the cores are solid copper. There appears to be corrosion on the one copper core and the other core is broken off completely.

Oddly the internet works even though the copper is broken, albeit slow, the signal must jump the gap. 

The tech did replace the ends, weatherproof connector, used di-electric grease and ran a new ground wire. As I said this was the third time this has corroded off.

Thanks for the update, good31994!

Please don't hesitate to come back to the community have you have additional concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Here is an update. I had the GEN 5 modem installed. The tech that did the installation informed me that when Hughesnet did my initial install years ago, that installer used the old WildBlue coax instead of using NEW coax. He told me that water had infiltrated that coax and it would always rot off. 

He replaced the coax and installed a ground wire which was never installed on the initial installation. 

All these years I've had Hughesnet and the same issues were caused by a lazy tech that was trying to save a few minutes or a few dollars by using a defective coax. Thinking about it, the bad coax is probably why the WildBlue system proved unreliable prompting my switch to Hughesnet.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"Thinking about it, the bad coax is probably why the WildBlue system proved unreliable prompting my switch to Hughesnet."

You didn't call WildBlue about it, then.  It was their coax before you switched.