cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low and unreliable speeds at any time of day/night on newly installed Gen5

Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Low and unreliable speeds at any time of day/night on newly installed Gen5

@deserthaven

That's good that you were able to disable the WiFi, including disabling the radios themselves.  I tried Firefox and it actually worked better for me than Chrome.  LOL.  Go figure.  Smiley Tongue  

And no, enabling/disabling the WiFi won't mess anything up with Liz's information.  The important thing, as Liz mentioned in her reply, is making sure that the modem remains plugged in for at least the next 5+ days.  

Also, I read what you were talking about with that 20% thing.  To be honest, I wouldn't mess with it.  The reason is that 99% of the time this won't affect you.  That 20% reserved is for when QOS dependent applications are running, and they should have a reserve so they can do what they are supposed to when they need to.  Turning that 20% off can actually cause more harm than good for those applications.  And most of the time those applications aren't running in the first place, and when they aren't you'll have 100% of your bandwidth.  

If you know how to I would reverse what you changed and set it back to where it was.  Again, you'll rarely ever see a difference in speed and it can cause more headaches than it's worth.   

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Junior

@GabeUwrote:

@deserthaven

That's good that you were able to disable the WiFi, including disabling the radios themselves.  I tried Firefox and it actually worked better for me than Chrome.  LOL.  Go figure.  Smiley Tongue  

And no, enabling/disabling the WiFi won't mess anything up with Liz's information.  The important thing, as Liz mentioned in her reply, is making sure that the modem remains plugged in for at least the next 5+ days.  

Also, I read what you were talking about with that 20% thing.  To be honest, I wouldn't mess with it.  The reason is that 99% of the time this won't affect you.  That 20% reserved is for when QOS dependent applications are running, and they should have a reserve so they can do what they are supposed to when they need to.  Turning that 20% off can actually cause more harm than good for those applications.  And most of the time those applications aren't running in the first place, and when they aren't you'll have 100% of your bandwidth.  

If you know how to I would reverse what you changed and set it back to where it was.  Again, you'll rarely ever see a difference in speed and it can cause more headaches than it's worth.   

Well NOW you tell me! Smiley Very Happy   I can see if I can figure out how to reverse it. I was a little afraid to do it but so many said it had helped their speeds so thought I'd try since instructions were fairly clear. I guess if I change back and can verify it has slowed things down with no other traceable reason I can revert back again. I'm guessing Win 7 doesn't have this issue. I'm considering changing this pc to Win 7 as it's far more controllable especially for updates but I haven't decided yet. Any thoughts?

I've been having trouble with Firefox for quite a while now. I installed the newest version and it wouldn't display pages, sometimes at all and sometimes just partially so I went back to version 56 I think it is. I'm running auto speed tests now on Chrome and either my speed is picked up some now or Chrome testing better. What a headache!

Thanks for all of your help!

Highlighted
Junior

Per undoing the reserved bandwidth setting in Win 10:  I reset it like it was originally which was "not configured" so it uses whatever it wants, I guess up to 20%. That's actually quite a lot if trying to do something at these speeds normally but don't want to make things worse. I did not delete the files I moved around as I'm not sure if that WOULD mess stuff up. Do you know? I think I can figure out just by reversing the whole process and take the files out of system32 and  delete but I don't want to mess stuff up.

My auto testing right now is coming up fairly decent on average. In another hour or less the group of tests will be done and will see what it's averaging. These are on Chrome and win 10 laptop LAN wired with wifi's disabled. Modem should be able to stay on nonstop for the forseeable future now.

@deserthaven

Well, really, at this point, you can probably just leave it where it is.  Perhaps I overemphasized the importance of the QOS being at 20% for those things that use it, as in reality, your speed will probably be enough that you won't notice a whole lot of difference if one of those things needed bandwidth or something.  So, again, maybe it's just best to leave it at what you set it at.  After all, the registry is a fickle beast, and the less you have to mess around with it the better.

As for Windows 7 vs Windows 10, the one thing to keep in mind is that extended support is going to end in less than two years.  Plus, if you're referring to your new computer, it may be that Windows 7 wouldn't run well on it with it being made to run Windows 10.  If you have a retail copy of Windows 7 that isn't tied to any other machine or one that you can transfer from an old machine to your new one (again, it has to be a retail copy, not OEM) you can always try it, but if you have to buy a copy of Windows 7 I wouldn't bother.  Windows 10 is more secure and better able to run today's applications than Windows 7.  If you want my honest opinion, I would stick with what the computer came with.  

Really, again, I probably jumped the gun and went a little overboard with my assessment of the 20% thing, and you having it to what you adjusted it to is fine.  Like I said, you'll most likely rarely ever notice a difference, either way, and the less you have to fiddle in the registry the better. 

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

@deserthaven

I missed your last post. You posted an update while I was typing my reply, so I didn't see it.  Smiley Tongue

If you created a Psched folder when performing the registry edit, you can simply delete that folder to make everything go back to where it was.  Deleting this folder will delete everything you did in that folder.  If you did it a different way, I'm not sure.  

Here's an article that explains the realities of changing the QOS setting and how it's probably not worth it.  It also mentions what I did above about deleting the Psched folder, if that's how you did it.  

https://dottech.org/26628/how-to-force-windows-to-use-100-of-your-network-bandwidth-how-to-guide/

BTW, while you're certainly free to run as many tests as you like, you really only need to run a few tests at a few different times of day.  Like maybe 3-5 in the morning, the same in the afternoon and the same in the evening.  That's usually what's requested.  Again, you can run as many as you want to, but if you'd like to slow down a bit, no pun intended, you certainly can.  

Junior

@GabeUwrote:

@deserthaven

I missed your last post. You posted an update while I was typing my reply, so I didn't see it.  Smiley Tongue

If you created a Psched folder when performing the registry edit, you can simply delete that folder to make everything go back to where it was.  Deleting this folder will delete everything you did in that folder.  If you did it a different way, I'm not sure.  

Here's an article that explains the realities of changing the QOS setting and how it's probably not worth it.  It also mentions what I did above about deleting the Psched folder, if that's how you did it.  

https://dottech.org/26628/how-to-force-windows-to-use-100-of-your-network-bandwidth-how-to-guide/

BTW, while you're certainly free to run as many tests as you like, you really only need to run a few tests at a few different times of day.  Like maybe 3-5 in the morning, the same in the afternoon and the same in the evening.  That's usually what's requested.  Again, you can run as many as you want to, but if you'd like to slow down a bit, no pun intended, you certainly can.  

Funny! I was just curious because it had been playing small videos without any problem, then it suddenly started buffering. I guess at this point the speeds are sort of irrelevant as it almost appears that it's congestion, although it happens way more than it doesn't.

I just ran two more back to back, one in Chrome, which had been testing faster, and one immediately after in Firefox....Chrome 3.1 FF 4.7 so I guess it maybe has little to nothing to do with browser. But those speeds are once again very low and not what is to be expected. Because I have, occasionally, gotten a higher speed, although still usually below 60% of advertised speeds, it may be that there is no real "solution" and this is just the way it's going to work. If so, that's terribly disappointing and really not acceptable. Maybe between Liz pulling in data later from the modem and engineers looking at it something can be revealed.

At any rate, thanks for your help. I did the Windows thing a bit differenly, installing a gpedit.msc file and then copying it and Group Policy and another one into system 32 from WOW64 if I remember correctly. Then opened something and changed the value to 0% on the bandwidcth thing. I just reverted the bandwidth back to "not configured" as it was originally and left the other files as they are. A little scary messing with those.

@deserthaven

Yeah, it is a bit scary messing with those.  One mistake and oops, your computer nearly becomes a brick. Smiley Tongue  It's not fun when something goes wrong, especially when you have to start from square one because of it.  Trust me, I learned my lesson quickly enough when playing around with system files and such back in the mid/late 90s.  Twice I had to take my desktop back to where I bought it from so they could reinstall Windows 95.  They told me the next time they would charge me for it.  I was more careful then.  LOL.  It was a clone computer so it didn't come with a Windows disk to reinstall it myself.   

It is possible that it's just bad congestion and you happen to be on a beam that has a lot of people on it, but it could get better, too, if that is the problem.  Liz will be able to tell.  And though I'm sure you're probably already planning to, it woud be good to get one or two more download tests in a little later.  You can definitely see that your speed is dropping.  Smiley Sad  

Junior

@GabeUwrote:

@deserthaven

Yeah, it is a bit scary messing with those.  One mistake and oops, your computer nearly becomes a brick. Smiley Tongue  It's not fun when something goes wrong, especially when you have to start from square one because of it.  Trust me, I learned my lesson quickly enough when playing around with system files and such back in the mid/late 90s.  Twice I had to take my desktop back to where I bought it from so they could reinstall Windows 95.  They told me the next time they would charge me for it.  I was more careful then.  LOL.  It was a clone computer so it didn't come with a Windows disk to reinstall it myself.   

It is possible that it's just bad congestion and you happen to be on a beam that has a lot of people on it, but it could get better, too, if that is the problem.  Liz will be able to tell.  And though I'm sure you're probably already planning to, it woud be good to get one or two more download tests in a little later.  You can definitely see that your speed is dropping.  Smiley Sad  

Going to give it up for the night but just ran one test on Firefox, 3.1Mbps, and immediately ran on Chrome, 15.6Mbps. Does that make ANY sense? For a while it seemed Chrome showing faster speeds, then it didn't matter/about the same, and now this result. No way of knowing of course if it's just a fluke and the speed was going to vary that much anyway, but sure is mind boggling, to me anyway. I'm going to set the auto test to run just a few over night and see what it shows.

@deserthaven

It's possible for different browsers to give different results, but that big of a difference is probably just coincidence.  

My Edge browser sometimes gives really strange test results, especially if I haven't been to TMN for a while with that browser (I don't normally use Edge).  Sometimes it will stick in the beginning, then slingshot across the progress bar, given me really odd results.  Chrome is the browser I find to work best when testing, but that could also just be my preference for it.   

I just tried a test using Firefox and then a test using Chrome immediately afterward, and the difference was only 0.3Mbps.  After typing that I tried a test with Edge and it was 0.9Mbps lower than Firefox, which was the lower of the first two.  Again, not much difference, and with it being two minutes after the first two it could just be that my speed truly did go down nearly 1Mbps.    

Distinguished Professor I

"just ran one test on Firefox, 3.1Mbps, and immediately ran on Chrome, 15.6Mbps. Does that make ANY sense?"

I see big differences between speed tests run on Firefox and on Chrome.