Low and unreliable speeds at any time of day/night on newly installed Gen5

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GweRDSKNS
Freshman

Low and unreliable speeds at any time of day/night on newly installed Gen5

I have had slow/broken internet since installation. Whast is the problem? I have called support numerous times and was promised callbacks but never got any. Here are my speed test results. Can anyone resolve the speed issues? I cannot even watch my security camera at 500kbps.

https://testmy.net/db/kC18pl3L0  https://testmy.net/kC18pl3L0.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29

I have not heard back from Liz since Monday (7-2-18), but was called from Tier 4 support on Tuesday (7-3-18). The suppoot engineer made several attempts to troubleshoot my system and stated all equipment is working normally, he re-booted the modem and said he cannot fix the issue. He stated there is a KNOWN ISSUE in my area. He did not elaborate as to what exactly the issue is, but has scheduled a technician to come out and point my dish to a different satellite.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

You should send a private message to Liz.

Good morning GweRDSKNS,

Thank you for this update. Do let us know how the site visit goes this weekend. I did inquire with engineering if there are planned improvements for your beam, I have yet to hear back, but I'll let you know once I do.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Thanks, I will post results after the site visit. Hopefully this will fix the issue.

Tech came out and re-pointed my dish to the newer echostar 19 satellite and it has made a big difference in my speed tests (up between 10mbps to 16mbps, haven’t seen speeds above that yet. However, i still can’t maintain a video feed from my security camera which uses about 128kbps upload. It will now let me see the video before it drops back down to “0”. I have to keep reselecting it to view. I Am currently monitoring it to see how the system now preforms.

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Hi GweRDSKNS,

Thanks for the update. I ran diagnostics on your site just now and everything looks fine, and the speeds from the modem to the satellite are quite fast:

Speed test results for SAN - DSS

Execution time: 2018-07-09 20:09:29
Upload speed (kb/sec): 2649.592
Download speed (kb/sec): 43018.504
Round trip ping time (msec): 587
Packet loss rate (%): 0

If you still have speed concerns, please run new testmy.net speed tests while directly connected to the modem and let me know once complete.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

maratsade

I expect the service to allow me to surf the Web, do my work, and stream a little.  I get that.  I don't expect it to work like cable internet.  

GabeU

@swjohnson wrote:

What GabeU is suggesting regarding only one device being connected, and for that one device to be connected via Ethernet cable is not a "real world" condition for me, nor would it be practical in my case. I don't recall these parameters being specified in the sales pitches in order to get me to sign up.

Troubleshooting is not meant to mimic a "real world" condition, for you or anyone else.  It's troubleshooting.  It's meant to discover the cause of a problem.  As alluded to by maratsade, testing when directly connected gives a baseline result, without which troubleshooting is not as precise and can be a much more tedious task.   Testing with a direct connection is the most basic connection there is.  The fewest moving parts, if you will.  Testing via WiFi doesn't tell you whether the speed problem is with the actual service, the WiFi, or the device the WiFi.  WiFi connected devices are susceptible to a multitude of different things that can affect speed.  A baseline connection isn't.  Troubleshooting is a process of elimination.      

When your Verizon home phone service is having an issue the phone guy doesn't troubleshoot with your cordless phone, nor ANY cordless phone.  He directly connects to establish whether the problem lies with Verizon's service.  If not, he checks the lines in your home.  If not, he checks your cordless phone.  He doesn't start with your cordless phone, even though that's what you use every day.  And Verizon was chosen arbitrarily for the purposes of my example.  I don't know what home phone service you have, nor that you even do.  

@swjohnson wrote:

No offense meant Gabe.

None taken.  Perhaps you now better understand why speed issue troubleshooting is performed the way it is.  

Edit:  By the way, the variance in the speed of your service is most likely due to customer load on your beam and/or gateway, which varies from one moment to the next.  This is one of the reasons why speed cannot be guaranteed.  You speed will tend to be most affected by customer load in the evenings.  

If YOU would like to take advantage of the help on this Communinty for your speed issues please start a new topic to begin the process of figuring out what's going on.