cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low data and throttling under 1Mb at 6am on Beam 34... Really HughesNet?

Assistant Professor

Re: Low data and throttling under 1Mb at 6am on Beam 34... Really HughesNet?

Completely unscientific large file test - Downloaded Xcode 7.0, 3.59GB:

Started:16:31
1st GB: 16:43 = 0:12 - 11.11Mbps
2nd GB: 16:54 = 0:11 - 12.12Mbps
3rd GB: 17:05 = 0:11 - 12.12Mbps
Tot.GB: 17:12 = 0:41 - 11.67Mbps - Overall

Peaked between 11.5 - 12.1 with a few scattered slow spots notching down to 3 or 4 in the beginning, but pretty much steady most of the way. No throttling at all. It's not 15Mbps, but still not bad for a Friday afternoon past 4pm, where I've struggled to get 10% of that. This, especially for something off Apple's App Store. I think I even had Web Accelerator on, which I almost never do.

I'd say it seems to be working... will probably try other tests later on.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

I should also add that it also looks like it's metering correctly now as well.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Assistant Professor

During usual peak usage time, around 20:30-21:15, using 100MB data via TestMy.net

Direct via Mac:
Minimum :: 2.69 Mbps | Middle :: 5.36 Mbps | Maximum :: 7.27 Mbps

Through a Windows xp VM in Shared network mode:
Minimum :: 2.11 Mbps | Middle :: 5.02 Mbps | Maximum :: 7.77 Mbps
Through a Windows xp VM in Bridged network mode:
Minimum :: 1.27 Mbps | Middle :: 4.87 Mbps | Maximum :: 12.13 Mbps

Through a Fedora 21 (Linux) VM in Shared network mode:
Minimum :: 1.64 Mbps | Middle :: 5.14 Mbps | Maximum :: 10.47 Mbps
Through a Fedora 21 (Linux) VM in Bridged network mode:
Minimum :: 2.69 Mbps | Middle :: 7.05 Mbps | Maximum :: 12.27 Mbps

Then again, Direct via Mac:
Minimum :: 1.65 Mbps | Middle :: 3.61 Mbps | Maximum :: 6.61 Mbps

Results seem pretty consistent amongst each. Thruput on the last trial was actually better than reported. Most likely someone (or something) else in the house using the network.

Note: Shared is usually the best way to go. It sometimes exhibits DNS errors under Windows, but not under Linux. Bridged can get choppy at times for either Windows or Fedora. Either way, these are essentially triple-NAT configurations (Hughes/modem, Cisco router, VM under the MBP's IP) and not terribly efficient.

Alum

Hi Mark,

Just wanted to check in and make sure that your performance after the initial tests are still looking good. Hopefully everything is back to normal. We hope to hear back from you soon.

Thanks,
Chris
Assistant Professor

Thanks Chris,

We had storms hit here during the usual mid-week high traffic period, so was not able to wring it out then. I'll try again tonight if it's possible. Mornings have been fine, however the East Coast is supposed to be a soggy mess with heavy cloud cover, and Joaquin coming at the end of this week.

Assistant Professor

Follow-up:

Last evening the throughput was fairly typicial of high-traffic during the week - throttled, couldn't get much above 1 Mbps and when it did peak, it quickly throttled down. Kind of like what I was seeing in the morning when I originally posted.

This morning I downloaded OS X 10.11 (during the bonus period). It wasn't throttling, but the rate was between ~10-11.5 Mbps, still not 15, as I would expect at that time. So, I am still experiencing a speed cap of some sort. Doubt it's congestion on Hughes or at Apple, because a speed test afterwards confirmed it still wouldn't level higher than 12.

If you are getting 10 to 11.5 during bonus downloads that is very good.  You keep referring to being throttled that will show up in the SCC (192.168.0.1) it will clearly say Throttled in the Data Allowance Status Field.  One more thing are you looking at the actual download speed (speed test) or the transfer rate.  There is a big difference between the two.  From the way your describing the speeds it looks more like transfer rate than actual speed.  If it is the transfer rate that can and will vary a lot and will not be close to the actual download speed.  Below is a good comparison of the two I found to better explain.

Download Speed
  • Download speed depends on the speed of both your and the other computer's Internet connection. For Web pages, it also depends on how they are written. Web programmers can use various techniques to make their pages download faster.

Data Transfer Rate
  • DTR refers to the speed of transfer between any two devices; for example, a computer and a printer, or a CD-ROM drive and a hard drive. It depends on the technical characteristics of the devices and the way they are connected.

Download and Transfer Measure Units
  • Download rates are measured in megabits per second (Mbps) for broadband connections, or kilobits per second (Kbps) for dial-up, modem connections. Transfer rates are measured in bits per second (bps), or for devices such as DVD-drives in gigabytes per second (GB/sec).

Advertised vs. Real Rates
  • Advertised speeds are rarely, if ever, possible to achieve. For downloading, they vary hugely depending on how far you live from your service provider and other factors. For transfer rates, especially those involving hard disks, they depend on how big a file is and where it is on the disk.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/facts_6879385_difference-download-speed-transfer-rate.html

In short there are many things involved when downloading files and they differ depending on many variables. Your download speed is what determines how fast a page loads or a video streams.  The transfer rate depends on both ends and means eg one device talks to another (Your PC, to Router, to Modem, to Radio on dish, to Satellite, to NOC, to Internet, to server downloading from, back to the NOC,  back to the Satellite, back to your radio on dish, back to your modem, back to your router, and finally back to your PC, then to your Hard Drive.  If you get 500kbs Transfer Rate that is darn good.  Hope this helps some just some FYI for you.
Assistant Professor

Appreciate your trying to help with providing a short course, but I'm a degreed communications engineer since the 70's. I have a full grasp of how satellite technology, how compression-driven acceleration schemes work, as well as their limitations.

1. Compared to the consistent 15Mbps that I was getting and paying for, 11Mbps is poor, considering there's almost no one else on the system at that time and no one else locally is even awake yet doing anything to drive it down. Again, until a few weeks ago, I was getting sustainable speeds of 15 - not 10, nor 11, nor 12 - and yet I've yet to see it go above 12.3 since the switch over. I want the 15Mbps that I had, rather than being patted on the head and told what I have is very good.

2. I know what throttled is, and I know what it looks like without the system telling me what it officially thinks or has done. The bottom line is that the acceleration scheme when congested is throttling in and out even if it's not intentionally doing it or providing a message telling me so.

Honorary Alumnus

Mark,

Speaking as someone that has had Hughesnet for over 11 years .....

Speeds on many beams and Gateways may not reach "maximum" advertised speeds.

Keep in mind that those speeds are "up to" maximum speeds under ideal conditions.

Even during the late night hours many users will be using a download manager to get larger file downloads with their computers unattended.

It looks like each Gateway facility is tasked with the traffic from 4 beams and those four will not necessarily be geographically adjacently located.

Also at this time Microsoft is spewing out Windows 10, not only to those users that have "reserved" it but also to users of Win7/8/8.1

In the aggregate that is a lot  of traffic on a "shared resource".

Here is map I have been assembling (work in process) that will show just how widely scattered beam location to gateway is.

You simply can't expect to have max advertised speeds very often ... that is the reality ......

Assistant Professor

Right, and as long as I've had Gen4 since when it first came out, until very recently, I've had 15Mbps on beam 34 reliably, every morning between 2 and 5am. How many years is that? 3 years or so running? Not sure that's pure luck, although your geography chart would lead me to believe it has - even though I'm pretty sure these ground distances fairly negligible considering the distance to the satellite and the signalling rate used as compared to wired rates on the ground.

I'm trying to give the rep actual data - that he asked for, I might add. Data he can use to bring back to a tech to have a look at.

What you guys can't see is that although it might be nice information, and I do love a good graphic, but all you are doing is stiff-arming a customer by telling him what he's experiencing is technically correct when it truly might not be.

Doing this could potentially discourage a less technically capable person from doing exactly that - providing good data.

But you guys keep trying to impress me with your charts and web links and other things that are doing more explaining and patronizing than helping the techs and reps to actually fix a possible problem that other might have (and will ad nausuem) complain about.

I'm pretty certain that is not really what the company wants: It's not good business in my opinion, and it's certainly not helpful.