cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low data and throttling under 1Mb at 6am on Beam 34... Really HughesNet?

Honorary Alumnus

Re: Low data and throttling under 1Mb at 6am on Beam 34... Really HughesNet?

Three years ago Hughes did not have over one million residential customers ... it does now. Using the same equipment plus any upgrades/additions to uplink/downlink ground facilities,

Three years ago Microsoft wasn't "pushing out" Win10 to everybody that is running Win7/8/8.1 as they are now "just in case" as MS put it.

Again, that is a lot of data for a system that has very real capacity limits.

I'm sure the Hughes "overbooks" in the same manner that airlines do knowing that there will be some no-shows. Its the nature of Business. You simply can't afford to "build out" to 140% of system capacity just to accommodate something like that.

I'm sure that Gateways are being upgraded, its just not something that can be done in a moment.

The system has limits.

Assistant Professor

You're still talking and not listening.

Up to 2 weeks ago I was still getting 15Mbps and good service. Win10 was released on 29 July, well before that.

Please stop...

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Assistant Professor

Actually, the HughesNet Rep has been very helpful. It's the people parachuting in to "help" with irrelevant information that are frustrating me.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Mark

What are your results as above using your VMs and Mac but when testing with a file that is not intense on the system, like a 12MB file? That is the recommended file size for testing as per our engineers. Also, do you have any systems in the house that resemble a casual/average family computer (no bells and whistles)

Thanks
Amanda
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Normally, under low congestion, a small sample like that wouldn't last long enough to get a good reading even at 12Mbps.

Right now it's pretty awful on the Mac:
Minimum :: 0.58 Mbps | Middle :: 0.85 Mbps | Maximum :: 1.34 Mbps

Throttling, sputtering, acceleration never really kicking in, etc. I'd try this under the Win and Linux VMs, but I'm sure it won't be any better.

Thursday evenings have typically been heavy, and I'd expect today would be no exception if people are upgrading their Macs. New OS was released yesterday afternoon.

Only other machine is exactly like this one.

Assistant Professor

Just for grins I ran it again and did a screen capture of a 12MB test:

Minimum :: 0.53 Mbps | Middle :: 0.75 Mbps | Maximum :: 0.87 Mbps

Red is up, Blue is down. Scale shows a couple of instantaneous peaks at 2.1M despite weighted peaks reported by TestMy.net as 0.87M.

The important thing is that you can actually see the throttling occurring. It keeps trying to ramp up, but collapses on itself. Don't want to speculate what causes that other than the effects of congestion at whatever server is providing the acceleration.

It took quite a while I can tell you that.

Assistant Professor

Follow-up: 6:00am, on a Friday morning, and I'm right back to a repeat of when I started this thread, but now with an HT1100. I honestly can't see how there's any serious congestion at 6:00 in the morning that would cause this. If you need to see what it looks like, see the picture I posted above.

Assistant Professor

Suddenly cleared up by 8am... It's a miracle.

Been with HughesNet a long time ..back when it was DirecWay ..but they have lots of problems..I find myself plugging my iPhone up and running off my Verizon connection and data ..FASTER (LTE connection), More Reliable (even through the storms when HughesNet was knocked out, My Verizon connection never failed) and CHEAPER!...I'm waiting till the end of my billing cycle 10/21 to CANCEL my HughesNET service, after all these years ..HAD ENOUGH ! 
Assistant Professor

Thanks for getting that off your chest. Feel better now?

Some of us don't have that option, but I really do appreciate you venting on this thread and cluttering it with things that are completely irrelevant to the topic. Certainly not helpful to me or anyone else.