cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MASSIVE drain issue

MASSIVE drain issue

We have the 15gb/mo plan which we manage carefully (don't dare watch any movies or YouTube)...seems every month we lose a ton of allowance when nobody is using it. On the 10th of this month we lost 3+GB in 3 hours with nobody in the house and all devices turned off! Inquired, got a reply via E-mail (DO NOT REPLY) and a follow up call that quite frankly I couldn't understand a word of...too much "chatter" in the background from what I guess is a foreign based call center. Running Win 10 (set to "metered"). Using Norton Internet Security (set to "metered". Wireless secured router. How can I lose 3GB in that short amount of time with nobody here?
51 REPLIES 51

Re: MASSIVE drain issue

We get what I guess is normal "leakage but every month it seems we get one day like the 10th. I'm guessing a program update is being downloaded in the background even though I tell them not to.
Assistant Professor

Do you have Windows 10?
Highlighted

Yup. "Edge" is the default browser.
Sophomore

Hey, that looks just like mine. Except mine happened on the 12th.

Wonder how many users are experiencing the same thing? My "hump" occurred when there was nobody in the house (in fact my wife took her computer to work with her). Win10 makes it somewhat difficult to find the switches to prevent automatic maintenance and I wonder if that only covers the "installation" and not the download.
Sophomore

I found out that my son had updated Win10 on one of our computers on that day. So that explains it for me. He did it during bonus bytes time.
Honorary Alumnus

Install Glasswire:

https://www.glasswire.com/

Suggested setup:

(click on pic for larger image)

Interpret the results:

This needs to be done with a single computer connected directly to the modem.

Check one computer at a time.

Alum

Hi Teejk01,

Thanks for posting. The best way to track what may have caused the spike is Glasswire as suggested by Gwalk. It will track all your usage on the machine it is installed on and let you know exactly what program or service used it as well. There is still much we do not know about Windows 10 but it definitely could be some type of update to the OS and other programs. Especially since you mentioned it seems to happen every month around the same time. If you guys have more than one computer glasswire will need to be installed on all computers. I hope this helps.

Thank you,
Chris

Ok...I have Win10 set to let me choose the "install" (and I get an alert). Where in the Win10 world do I tell it not to "download" the update they want to install? While I can't pinpoint Windows I suspect that they are the problem. I run Norton Internet Security and that is set to "metered" (and kept up to date the updates would certainly not chew up 3+GB).  I have 95% of my "bonus bytes" remaining...haven't found all the settings in Win10 to let me burn "off peak" stuff instead of my "anytime" allowance.