cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MASSIVE drain issue

Alum

Re: MASSIVE drain issue

Hi teejk01,

First thing I would do is use a browser like Google Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Or Safari. These browsers offer useful extensions like ad blockers that will help you in using less data, and have a smoother browsing experience in general. This extension is from Chrome that I use myself:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock-plus/cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb

Hope this helps.

- Chris

Thanks to both...I think Chrome downloaded with a version of Adobe Reader (forgot to uncheck the box) so that's already here. My son was a Firefox user but switched to Chrome. I'll set that to my default browser and see if that improves data usage. 

Let's see...first home computer was 1994 or so (IBM 340mg hard-drive...a big improvement over then popular Packard Bell 185mb). 1200 baud dial-up modem. Prodigy anybody??? When they folded I went to AOL when they charged $$$ to subscribe  (and took me about 2 years to "un-subscribe"...they were the "Hotel California" of the on-line world...enter anytime you want but you can never leave...got what they deserved I think).  

Worked in public accounting (for too long) and I think we got an Apple (32E???) in the mid-80's. Then we got what was supposed to be "portable" Compaq's (small green screen and the keyboard folded up to serve as one of the sides). Remember Visicalc (fore runner to Lotus 123 and now dominated by Excel)? Big floppies only in those days...hard-drive came later. As for portable...it only weighed 60 lbs. or so as I recall...was more senior on the audit engagements by then so hauling that beast through airports was assigned to the rookies. Times have changed huh?
Distinguished Professor IV

We bought a Commodore VIC 20 when I was a kid, then got a Commodore 64.  The neighbors got an Apple 2C and I was so jealous, but it's not like I really knew how to use any of them for more than the demonstration programs in the manuals.  My first internet used computer was an IBM clone that had Win95 and 8MB of Ram.  That sucker was expensive, too!   

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

We bought a Commodore VIC 20 when I was a kid, then got a Commodore 64.  The neighbors got an Apple 2C and I was so jealous, but it's not like I really knew how to use any of them for more than the demonstration programs in the manuals.  My first internet used computer was an IBM clone that had Win95 and 8MB of Ram.  That sucker was expensive, too!   

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

The double post thing again, and the inability to remove the second one.  Ugh! 

Assistant Professor

The first computer and no I wasn't alive when it was invented. OK maybe it was the first storage device.

Assistant Professor

Took a community college night class in 1982 for BASIC programming. Uh oh, don't even remember what computer anymore. I think maybe the VIC.

Well Chris...things were "managable" since I first reported this issue 10 months ago...UNTIL this billing cycle. Two days into the cycle my wife turned her computer on and managed to use 37% of the "anytime" allowance in 2 hours which I know was a Win10 update. Since then my computer got a "stealth" update also (not the that extent but noticable). I think Hughes needs to #1 Increase the 15gb to something higher or #2 Provide some relief to us Win10 users by swapping GB from the "bonus" allowance that we rarely use or #3 Offer a higher token purchase at a cheaper price. I have yet to see a solution to the Win10 "Home version" Btw I called your customer service line and they opened a ticket (101705793)upgrade thing...they "push it when they want to with NO notice to the user that they want to do it or notice that they are doing it (all "background" actions).