cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MORE DATA/UNLIMITED

Assistant Professor

Re: MORE DATA/UNLIMITED

you should either contact the ISPs that offer that type of service and see if they will provide service in your area, or you could bring the matter up with your local government.

I live in the Metro Detroit area but out on the fringe, still in farmland.  We don't even get barely adequate cell phone service.  Lot's of no service areas.  It really fries me to see films of residents of 5th world countries wandering around in the rice paddies with their electronic gadgets.

10 years ago, after fighting with Verizon for years over landline internet capability, we finally got it with an expensive LAN landline modem.  We got 50Kbps.  Wow.  That lasted for a year, and then a thunderstorm took out the telephone in Monroe for 5 days.  When it came back, the modem wouldn't connect at better than about 20Kps, but the actual throughput was more like 200bps.  We fought with Verizon for a year with no success.  Comcast ends at the next house to us across the road.  After 4 months of trying, I could not get Comcast to come and give an installation quote.  That is how we ended up with DirecPC.  My first year with DirecPC was not so good, because they sent a marginal power supply that resulted in my unit providing only 10% of what it should.

Good morning hotaugustnights,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! We often get this suggestion, and many of our community members here have already explained what that is not currently possible. I see you're already on the best plan available in your area, so there is that. If you have other options, especially one with unlimited data that could meet your needs, go for it.

Should there be any changes to our current service plans, you'll be sure to hear about it from us.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

New Poster

this is a bs answer, what you are saying is we all get capped so someone else can use the satellite? the real answer is files coming and going are bigger so we cap you to get you to buy/pay more for data. learn to be truthful!
Sophomore

Yes, you are correct. The town I live in recently voted to appropriate $1.5 million to pursue deploying fiber throughout the town. The lack of broadband was the biggest issue in the last election and all the candidates running had committed to getting it done.

Personally I don't think it will happen any time soon, and it will cost a lot more than they think. The $1.5 mil. was just a down payment.

Main problem is this country doesn't treat access to broadband as something like electricity, and with the political climate now I can't see anything changing. A service like hughes shouldn't have to exist for normal residential customers.
Assistant Professor

Maybe "shouldn't have to" but glad it does. Politics aside, in a country as large as the US with the population spread out all over, often very sparsely in rural areas, laying cables to every residence is a daunting and expensive proposition.

There is talk of Low Earth Orbit systems in the works. If they ever come to fruition then things will be drastically different, not least of which much lower latency.

HI, 

Here's a novel idea.  How about, instead of getting GUMINT to do it, private enterprise - entrepreneurial effort?  

People EXPECT to spend $1000 a year, approximately. You don't meed a CPA to see the benefits to that.  The problem is the techie frustration "curve."  

I will describe what is CURRENT and has been where I live.  

Many of course have Satellite.  We will never have cable here as it's 40 miles one way to the nearest small community of 1700.  Roads don't go through to anywhere. They stop here, near where I live, West side Idaho panhandle, 30 miles from Canada.  

Someone sees the need for high speed internet - years ago .  Most houses here are second houses, vacation houses, although there are a few hundred of us that live here year around in several hundred square miles.  THe second homes have owners who are used to fast internet in town and city. 

There  is a PRIVATE, no data cap, three speeds offered, that WORKS.  Service is provided by a local man, whom everybody knows, owns the LARGE hardware store and installs.  I occasionally work with him, mostly as liaison. He is well thought of.  All service is local and NATIVE ENGLISH SPEAKERS.  I am VERY familiar with many of "Moosebytes" customers, and as far as I know IT WORKS, no brainer. NO DATA CAP.  I cannot get it due to a large Granite hill between me and Sundance mountain, the main installation 'Grabbing" the signal and relaying it. .  

Problem is it is microwave, land-based and IS LINE OF SIGHT.  There are several amplifiers and repeaters (may be wrong technical description) that provide a lot of people good service for about the same money monthly as Hughes.    

I was a quite satisfied Hughes customer for 2-1/2 years. but for 6 + months, it has been the service from hell.  So now I, too, will look into the feasibility to erecting a tower to have an alternative for ME, to the horrible service i have been getting from Hughes.  Yes, it is Frontier, somewhat, but Frontier is NOT the problem   Frontier has GREAT technical service for the most part.  Phantom Usage / DDDD is.  And nothing ever happens except me getting blamed for it, which is just not true. 

Thank you and hope the idea works for someone.

-Larry in Nordman, Idaho
Freshman

Bradley,  I agree, in my undergrad days we learn and study satellite technology.

There is not limit, it pure economic greed.

It interesting that when we were on 56k modems, we had unlimited data allowance.  Back on ARPANET and NSFNET we had unlimited data allowance, only when private corporations started maintaining the internet that Data Usage Allowance come into being, including satellite.  

My first cell phone had unlimited data usage including tethering or hotspot depending on which cell phone.  Now it seems cell phones and satellite have data usage allowance that did not exist before. 

It seems the older technology was superior to the new improve technology.
Highlighted

With a 20Mbps connection vs a 50Kbps connection, one can download 400 times more data in the same time period.

There didn't used to be the availability of downloading a movie.  Webpages didn't stream unwanted video advertisements. You didn't download 3GB to upgrade to Windows 10.  3GB on a 56K modem takes 480000 seconds or 5.6 days, and the chances of failing were about 100%.  You didn't have a bunch of smartphones and tablets on one WiFi account.

I fail to see the logic that placing a data cap improves economic greed if system bandwidth was not in the equation.