Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MORE DATA/UNLIMITED

Highlighted
Freshman

Re: MORE DATA/UNLIMITED

willamtobler,

What planet are you living on.  We use to download movies on 56Kbps connection, yes it took some time but data usage was unlimited.  Even back in those days, webpages were always streaming unwanted binary files.   And Windows 1.04 was a clumsy menu system.

I would not recommending downloading 3GB Windows 10 upgrades or OS X El Capitan upgrades on a HughesNet Satellite Connection because of the Data Usage Allowance restricts the ability.  And even with a 15Mbps connection it took 10 tries to download 3GB Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 8.1, even the Windows 10 November update had the same issue.  Both Windows 10 Upgrade and November Update took more than 50GB data usage and over 2 weeks to be completed successfully.

Failure rate appears to be higher on a satellite connection than a 56Kbps connection.

Back on 56Kbps modem, I had software that allowed failure recovery.  Which HughesNet frowns on.  With a 56Kbps connection I did not have to worry about running out of data usage allowance. 

Why don't you go back to your 56K modem then and be done with it?
Advanced Tutor

The simple reason there is a data cap is because most people are greedy. If they knew how to share then HN wouldn't have to monitor them like children. JMO
Associate Professor

Amen. These old hags on here need to realize its 2016.
Assistant Professor

Nothing to do with 2016. So done with this debate. There is limited throughput on the satellite at any given point in time. People already complain about slow speeds at certain times so they should open it up to unlimited 24/7?

People there is limited throughput on a satellite at any given point in time.

Reply from an old hag. Data caps keep people from streaming as much data as possible 24/7 and slowing everything to a crawl.

I may not understand anything however even though I was a radio communications tech for 20 years in the Air Force and was a Superintendent of a satellite NOC.
Honorary Alumnus

Ditto on the old hag remark.

I for one understand the very real limitations of machines in general and Satellite Internet in particular.

You don't buy a Ford Focus and then complain that you aren't competitive in the Indy 500.

You use the right "tool" for the job. If, in your rural location the only "tool" you have is satellite internet, then you learn its limits, you learn to get the most of what you have available or you go without.

If a machine puts out "300 HP" you can't fault the machine for not putting out "800 HP".

Freshman

Gwalk900,

Your point is well taken. 

A 56kbps modem is a Ford Focus.

A HughesNet modem is supposedly is advertised like a Indy 500 race car running at about 675HP (15Mbps).

So how does data usage have anything to do with speed of a car?  Data Usage is more like storage than bandwidth or speed of the net.

Comparing HughesNet to cars is a good comparison.

Why should I pay for a sports card that can exceed 100 mph?

The sport car is useless on the interstate.  To drive on the interstate I am limited to the 65 mph speed limit, however by HughesNet Data Usage Logic after driving for 130 miles a governor kick in to slow me down to 15 mph.  Therefore, the Hughnet trooper pulls me over because I am impeding the traffic flow for driving under minimum 40 mph speed limit allowed.  So, the Hughesnet trooper offers me a deal to reset the governor for another 5 miles.

So what does matter if I have a Ford Focus that can go 65 mph or a Indy 500 car going 65 mph when they both have a governor to slow them down to 15 mph?

By the way have you been able to get you Ford Model T running again?
Freshman

Gwalk900,

Your point is well taken. 

A 56kbps modem is a Ford Focus.

A HughesNet modem is supposedly is advertised like a Indy 500 race car running at about 675HP (15Mbps).

So how does data usage have anything to do with speed of a car?  Data Usage is more like storage than bandwidth or speed of the net.

Comparing HughesNet to cars is a good comparison.

Why should I pay for a sports card that can exceed 100 mph?

The sport car is useless on the interstate.  To drive on the interstate I am limited to the 65 mph speed limit, however by HughesNet Data Usage Logic after driving for 130 miles a governor kick in to slow me down to 15 mph.  Therefore, the Hughnet trooper pulls me over because I am impeding the traffic flow for driving under minimum 40 mph speed limit allowed.  So, the Hughesnet trooper offers me a deal to reset the governor for another 5 miles.

So what does matter if I have a Ford Focus that can go 65 mph or a Indy 500 car going 65 mph when they both have a governor to slow them down to 15 mph?

Honorary Alumnus

Don't have one of those but after 42 years in automotive manufacturing I did make a matched set of pistons and rings for my wifes 1983 Cadillac Seville project restoration car.

In the end ... the old saying that "Knowledge Is King" hold true when dealing with automotive as well as computers and networking.

If you wish to learn ... you have come to the right place.