cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MacBook Air on 10.9.5 OS X with Airport Express to HughesNet HT 1000. Speed is slow and drops the signal. Turning of/off does not fix.

MacBook Air on 10.9.5 OS X with Airport Express to HughesNet HT 1000. Speed is slow and drops the signal. Turning of/off does not fix.

I'm running a MacBook air on 10.9.5 OS X connecting through Airport Express to the HughesNet HT 1000. Connection speed is slow on any site, including to HughesNet's site, and frequently the signal between the Airport and the HT1000 drops. To date I've been turning the entire system on/off to resolve but surely there is a more permanent solution to address the slow speed and the dropped signals. HELP please!!! Tried Hughesnet support and of course they point the problem back to Apple.
24 REPLIES 24
Assistant Professor

Re: MacBook Air on 10.9.5 OS X with Airport Express to HughesNet HT 1000. Speed is slow and drops the signal. Turning of/off does not fix.

The Airport routers are notorious for not playing well on HughesNet. You could try switching to alt router in Advanced Settings.

Assistant Professor

Re: MacBook Air on 10.9.5 OS X with Airport Express to HughesNet HT 1000. Speed is slow and drops the signal. Turning of/off does not fix.

Also, when you run that LAN Speed Test what do you get for result?
New Poster

I would be curious to see the state codes also and the hourly diag. log

Speed test ran today vs. Nov. test.
Alum

Hello Almond,

Thanks for the post and welcome to the community. As Sgoshe mentioned, did you try to switch to alt router in Advanced Settings?

Also, the firmware on the Airport Express was recently updated. You can verify and download the latest firmware from Apple support pages here: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201669

Hope this helps. Please let us know if you need any additional help.

- Warren
Alum

Almond,

We hope the information above helped you, if not, we would be happy to further troubleshoot to find a resolution for this. Can you post a recent case number, or the primary full name on the account, so that we can locate you?

- Warren

HughesNet came out to troubleshoot and there is a problem with speed but they cannot locate the exact issue. The Airport Express software is up to date. I have not tried to Alt Router change as I haven't located that feature within any of my settings. Can you show me a path?
Thanks,
Assistant Professor

Go here: http://192.168.0.1/
At the top right click on the little gray "i", the rest is in the pic I first posted.
Honorary Alumnus

Click on #3 in the SCC to access the modems advanced pages:

Then from the menu on the left:

Expand "General", select "User Router Preference.

From the drop down arrow change from DEFAULT to ALT ROUTER, click to SUBMIT button:

At this point I would, in this order do the following.

Shut down the computer

Remove AC power from your router

Remove AC power from the Hughes modem

then:

Restore AC power to the Hughes modem and let if fully boot up

Then ... restore AC power to the router .. and let it fully boot up.

Then ... turn on the computer.

The above procedure will force a new "lease" to be made, in order, of all devices.