Hughesnet Community

Maddening buffering movies

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Holly1

Maddening buffering movies

Usually very happy with Gen 4  have 15 GB day and 15 GB night have found that buffering and disconnects  disrupt all movie watching on the busy days and nights,  the weekend.  What Hughes Net Gen 4 does not tell u is that when they are busy you will get  buffered and disconnected but u will still get your gigabytes just at a slower speed.      I  know this because in the wee hours of the morning  streaming movies works great.  Check my allowance of Gigs and I have enough so that is not a problem,  disconnect and reconnect still buffered , so maddening thought Gen 4  at $80 a month would be the answer  when  all video is going   Streaming Video not allowing downloads to be watched later. 
24 REPLIES 24
Christopher San

Holly i am not a Hughes-Net rep.  just part of their community forum, it seems that MLK's day is a holiday   if they do not respond , they or one of the member will  to try to get it right  for you , Please be patience and they will get it right for you or tell you what the problem is , thanks again have a great day  ,they will be open 9:00 in the mornnig Eastern time! will continue your case until it is resolved  !now if this started yesterday  , try to do them and see if it is working for yesterday. they were working on the system,  repost and let me know !
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Hi Holly,

Assuming, as you stated, you are not in FAP, and also assuming that you don't have any "conditions" affecting your connection: (are icons #1 & #2 both green)
(click on picture of larger image):

Then you may wish to try the following:

1st: It may be that you are trying to stream in "HD" and the system just can't keep up.
Try turning the resolution down to something less.
Streaming in HD takes an extreme amount of data to support.

2nd: In some cases turning off Web Acceleration for the duration of the operation may help.
On a Gen4 system system this is dome by clicking on the #3 icon in the picture above, that leads to the modems "advanced pages" and the select from the "menu" tree on the left as shown here:

and placing a checkmark in the box next to "disable Web Acceleration" the clicking the SUBMIT button.

Re-enable when you are done.
There are some people the claim their systems perform better disabled, however, I suggest you look at it not as an either/or condition but as a "switch" to be "toggled" to one setting or the other as conditions demand.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Never do HD streaming, not worth the data cost and can cause buffering even on a well functioning Gen4 system. Just my observations and opinion.
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

I was seeing a slow connection I thought with Netflix even during the bonus period, I use Aterlo Nightshift service to cache my netflix videos during the bonus to save my anytime data and noticed that it would have trouble downloading a 1.2GB movie in a 5s hour period and the great support people at Aterlo Nightshift check the logs in my router and checked the routing and discovered that it was not Hughes, it was actually Netflix causing the bottleneck so I thinking Netflix is have trouble providing the bandwidth for all of it customers at least at different times of the day
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

People tend to believe streaming providers can handle unlimited amounts of data at any given time. There is always a limit.
Holly1

Thanks for the comments will play with the web acceleration but I think it is probably traffic at XBOX during the holidays.  Like I said at 2am everything works fine. I use my XBOX with the different apps like Amazon and Xbox for Movies and TV. Anyone use Play Later? Not ready to pay for Netflix because I like to download during the wee hours then watch when I want.  Going to check out Aterlo. 
Warren
Alum

Holly,

Thanks for the post and welcome to the community. Were glad to see you received good tips on this topic here, as managing data is always a trending topic on the community.

Have you already tried adjusting your Netflix playback settings to SD? Here's how to do that: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

Here is another post on common and uncommon data drain sources: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-usage-sources-common-and-not-so-common

Please let us know if there is any additional concerns you may have.

- Warren
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Holly I use Aterlo NightShift and its works great, you can actually set the time when you want it to start the download and when to end it so it never uses your anytime unless you tell it to, but it requires you have a Asus router there is a list of Asus routers it work with on their site, I use an Asus RT-AC68R but there are cheaper models that it works with
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I just signed up Charles.  Going through the initial setup right now.  🙂
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

I only used a 32GB flash drive but now I wish I had used a 64GB, lol
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Yea, same here. Probably end up buying a fast 64GB but at least the 32GB will get me going and see how it works.
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

The 32 will hold about 15 movies with the playback set to medium 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I dunno so far. It was making my connection go offline every so often then reconnect. Pulled the flash drive and hasn't done it since. Maybe doesn't like the one I tried to use.
Not going to mess with it anymore tonight but may give you a holler at the shack later to get your ideas.
Gerrit

What kind of USB flash drive are you using? Some of the lower end drives tend to be too slow/unreliable and give the router all kinds of problems. PNY drives fall in this category for example. We've had great results with the Sandisk Ultra and Extreme. These are a notch or 2 above the typical drives in both performance and reliability and have great warranty.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

A Kingston DataTraveler 100 3G. It is a USB 3.0 and router is 2.0 but supposed to be backward compatible. Just pushed a large file to it plugged into the 2.0 port on my computer and got steady 24MB/s transfer speed.
Does it need to be in particular USB port on router? I had it in #2 as I'm using #1 for usage logging.
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

sgoshe, meet Gerrit hes one of the developers of Aterlo NightShift, Gerrit if you will go to http://www.ricksyakshack.com/ you can PM each other to work out the details
Gerrit

Sounds good Charles, will do.

Regarding the question on USB drives, unless your router has both USB 2.0 & USB 3.0 slots, it won't make a difference. We actually recommend USB 3.0 drives even for routers that only support USB 2.0 because they tend be much faster even in 2.0 mode.

The performance on your drive will be borderline (it's specs are 10MB/s write). I have a Kingston DataTraveler Ultimate 3.0 G3 which does 70MB/s write. It's worked well. You will really notice the difference in how fast NightShift can download at night.
Holly1

Holidays are over, up graded service to Ultra Plan, watching streaming movies after 7:00pm from Amazon, system worked great for most of the time only a little buffering after several hours. Gen. 4
PST.  
Christopher San

just a reminder though , Holly, movie watching IS the greatest DATA user , just saying !!!
myownmeadow

Thank you everyone for the comments! I've NEVER complained about the speed in 5 1/2 hrs. But now that I have a Streaming TV the pauses during an episode of SOA is like 1/4 length commercials but still commercials! I will try these fixes today, I am glad I came on here today.