Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maddening buffering movies

New Poster

Re: Maddening buffering movies

I only used a 32GB flash drive but now I wish I had used a 64GB, lol
Assistant Professor

Yea, same here. Probably end up buying a fast 64GB but at least the 32GB will get me going and see how it works.
New Poster

The 32 will hold about 15 movies with the playback set to medium 
Assistant Professor

I dunno so far. It was making my connection go offline every so often then reconnect. Pulled the flash drive and hasn't done it since. Maybe doesn't like the one I tried to use.
Not going to mess with it anymore tonight but may give you a holler at the shack later to get your ideas.

What kind of USB flash drive are you using? Some of the lower end drives tend to be too slow/unreliable and give the router all kinds of problems. PNY drives fall in this category for example. We've had great results with the Sandisk Ultra and Extreme. These are a notch or 2 above the typical drives in both performance and reliability and have great warranty.
Assistant Professor

A Kingston DataTraveler 100 3G. It is a USB 3.0 and router is 2.0 but supposed to be backward compatible. Just pushed a large file to it plugged into the 2.0 port on my computer and got steady 24MB/s transfer speed.
Does it need to be in particular USB port on router? I had it in #2 as I'm using #1 for usage logging.
New Poster

sgoshe, meet Gerrit hes one of the developers of Aterlo NightShift, Gerrit if you will go to http://www.ricksyakshack.com/ you can PM each other to work out the details

Sounds good Charles, will do.

Regarding the question on USB drives, unless your router has both USB 2.0 & USB 3.0 slots, it won't make a difference. We actually recommend USB 3.0 drives even for routers that only support USB 2.0 because they tend be much faster even in 2.0 mode.

The performance on your drive will be borderline (it's specs are 10MB/s write). I have a Kingston DataTraveler Ultimate 3.0 G3 which does 70MB/s write. It's worked well. You will really notice the difference in how fast NightShift can download at night.
Highlighted

Holidays are over, up graded service to Ultra Plan, watching streaming movies after 7:00pm from Amazon, system worked great for most of the time only a little buffering after several hours. Gen. 4
PST.  

just a reminder though , Holly, movie watching IS the greatest DATA user , just saying !!!