Mail Delivery Failure

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
javapoppa
Freshman

Mail Delivery Failure

I'm having sent emails returned with the notation Mail Delivery Failure and the problem is spreading. It started with mail to a private server owned by a construction company and is now happening with mail sent to BellSouth and to HotMail. Based on what I have learned looking at older threads this is a chronic problem with hughes.net emails and is caused by the server and/or the sender appearing on email blacklists. A check just now shows smtp.hughes.net on four blacklists and my IP on one. This can only be resolved by Hughes but am unable to reach Tech Support; I hit a loop response with the first screen when trying to call in. Is there any way to bring this to the attention of 

26 REPLIES 26
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

The HughesNet reps will be back tomorrow; they will see your post then.  

In the meantime, have you tried chat?  Also, you may want to try the phone or chat services earlier in the morning, after midnight, and on weekends. Worth a shot. 

You may also want to consider changing your email to Gmail or something else.  I imagine HughesNet may drop the email service in the future. Seems to be the trend with ISPs.

javapoppa wrote:

I'm having sent emails returned with the notation Mail Delivery Failure and the problem is spreading. It started with mail to a private server owned by a construction company and is now happening with mail sent to BellSouth and to HotMail. Based on what I have learned looking at older threads this is a chronic problem with hughes.net emails and is caused by the server and/or the sender appearing on email blacklists. A check just now shows smtp.hughes.net on four blacklists and my IP on one. This can only be resolved by Hughes but am unable to reach Tech Support; I hit a loop response with the first screen when trying to call in. Is there any way to bring this to the attention of 

GabeU

@javapoppa 

This isn't going to help you with your current issue, but I second the idea of migrating to one of the more well known free email providers, such as gmail, yahoo mail or outlook.com.  

ISP provided email is progressively going by the wayside, and it's likely that this will eventually happen with HughesNet as well.  In addition, if/when you leave HughesNet, you won't be able to continue using their email.

BlackArrow
New Poster

I am also having a problem with my email being rejected by other email servers.. The message I am getting is: A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed: >>> xxxx@outlook.com (after MAIL FROM): 550 5.7.1 Unfortunately, >>> messages from [69.168.97.48] weren't sent. Please contact your >>> Internet service provider since part of their network is on our >>> block list (S3150). You can also refer your provider to >>> http://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx#errors. >>> [DM3NAM05FT033.eop-nam05.prod.protection.outlook.com]

I get the same message but following their advice to 'contact your ISP' is no easy matter these days.

maratsade

You've made contact here. A mod will see your post and reply as soon as they can.  You can also try phone or chat. Try early in the morning. 

javapoppa wrote:

I get the same message but following their advice to 'contact your ISP' is no easy matter these days.

Hi javapoppa, 

Thanks for reaching out, I can certainly look into this for you. Please private message me the full error message/e-mail in case I need to escalate this to our e-mail admins.

Please include the e-mail addresses to which you're sending that's returning the error message.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Thanks, javapoppa! I received both of your PMs. I'll post back once I have an update for you.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

GabeU

@Liz 

Just in case it might help, though I don't use HughesNet's email for anything other than Community notifications, I too get a failure when trying to send an email from my HughesNet email to my MSN email address.  

Oddly enough, the Community notifications continue to be forwarded from my HughesNet email to my MSN email without issue.  

If the failure notice would be helpful, please let me know and I would be happy to send it to you.  🙂

Hi Gabe,

Thanks for the offer! That does sound interesting, how the mail forwarding works but not sending. I'll let you know if our e-mail admins need more info.

-Liz

Good morning javapoppa,

Please check your private messages (PM) in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

Thanks,

Liz

GabeU

@Liz 

Just in case it may be of value, it looks like, at least as of this afternoon, the emails from hughes.net to my MSN address are no longer being blocked, but only half of them are making it through.  I sent five test emails between 4:29PM EST and 5:26PM EST, and only two made it.  The other three never did, but there were no "blocked" notices with them like I was getting yesterday.  

The forwarded Community notifications are still fine (odd, huh?).

Hmm that is interesting. Thanks for letting me know, Gabe!

-Liz

GabeU

@Liz 

Just in case it may help, I tried ten test emails today, as in sending them from the hughes.net webmail to my MSN email address.  I tried five with it set to Ajax and five with it set to HTML, though I didn't think it would actually make any difference with switching from one to the other, which it didn't, of course.  

Of the Ajax, one made it through, and of the HTML, three.  There were no failure notifications for the six emails that didn't make it.  All ten do show in the sent folder.  

Hope this helps.  🙂

Hi Gabe: My experience mirrors your own in that emails sent via Hughes using MS Outlook 2010 either triggers a request for me enter my user name and password, which happens over and over again as the program attempts to send; is sent but results in a  Failure to Deliver notice which states either that the Hughes IP address is on a blacklist or that the server rejected my sign on;  disappears completely or reaches the recipient two or three days later out of the blue. In the face of all this I took your advice an opened an outlook.com email account and am able to send and receive with no problems to date. I had to remove the Hughes mail account from Outlook because the user name/password request kept coming up continuously and blocked everything that I was trying to do on my computer. Something is awry.

GabeU

@javapoppa wrote:

In the face of all this I took your advice an opened an outlook.com email account and am able to send and receive with no problems to date.  

That's good.  I've used each incarnation of Microsoft's email for my msn email address, starting with using the Outlook Express desktop application in the late 90s, then moving to the Hotmail webmail site when Microsoft bought them, and now outlook.com, though using the Windows Mail app in Windows 10 instead of outlook.com's actual webmail site.  Once in a blue moon I'll use the webmail site due to needing to change some mail settings that can't be changed via the Windows Mail app, but I pretty much stick with the app.  

I did try the Thunderbird email application for a short time, and it worked well, but it wasn't really for me.  I'm too used to the Windows Mail app.

Good morning javapoppa,

Thank you for your patience while your case is being investigated. Our e-mail admins currently have access to your e-mail account so they can try to reproduce what you're seeing. I'll let you know once I have any updates on their progress.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

I am also experiencing e-mail delivery issues.  I usually do not receive an NDR until 2-3 days after sending the e-mail.  It appears to only happen on e-mails with attached documents.  On the NDR there are two errors attached.  The first is an exceeded max retries without delivery.

Here is the text from the second:

X-CM-Score: 0
X-Scanned-by: Cloudmark Authority Engine
Authentication-Results: smtp02.hughes.cmh.synacor.com header.from=xxx@hughes.net; sender-id=softfail
Authentication-Results: smtp02.hughes.cmh.synacor.com smtp.mail=xxx@hughes.net; spf=softfail; sender-id=softfail
Authentication-Results:  smtp02.hughes.cmh.synacor.com smtp.user=xxx@hughes.net; auth=pass (LOGIN)
Received-SPF: softfail (smtp02.hughes.cmh.synacor.com: transitional domain hughes.net does not designate 184.53.1.144 as permitted sender)
Received: from [184.53.1.144] ([184.53.1.144:10678] helo=
 by smtp.hughes.net 
 (ecelerity 2.2.3.49 r(42060/42061)) with ESMTPA
 id 21/B2-05876-16B0AEE5; Wed, 17 Jun 2020 08:24:42 -0400
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2020 08:23:54 -0400
Message-ID: <!&!AAAAAAAAAAAuAAAAAAAAABWNWZdXt8NFn/Vv4BHKJIMBAMO2jhD3dRHOtM0AqgC7tuYAAAAAAA4AABAAAAAggvsWqe4wS6GiNF+mW9/oAQAAAAA=@hughes.net>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/mixed;
 boundary="----=_NextPart_000_000E_01D64480.B33CD7A0"
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook 16.0
Thread-Index: AQJP57ALkCsaupkegTJiCCeQ0fNirqfpdNpA
Content-Language: en-us

maratsade

EMZ,

Typically the mods deal with one issue per thread, so it might be a good idea to create your own ticket so as to separate your issue from Javapoppa's. Go to https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/bd-p/TechSupport and click on "Start a new topic."  Then you can copy the info from your post here and paste it over there. 

Edit: The mods are on M-F, so you will not hear until next week. 

@EMZ 

An SPF softfail just indicates that although the from, smtp, and transitional domain (that one is actually kind of weird) was not specified within the SPF entries of the host's (Synacor) DNS record, that the email receiver should neither quarantine nor reject the email as being inauthentic. Either the reciever has set too stringent SPF requirements, or they rejected the email for another reason.

Edit: Plus, as has been said (and seen), jumping in on someone else's issue with a completely unrelated 'me too' has the possiblity of confusing the original poster's issue (and the original poster). If you have something to add, please create your own thread where it can recieve the appropriate attention.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Well, that clears that up.