cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making use of my bonus data

Sophomore

Making use of my bonus data

Unfortunately I’m very unhappy with how fast my data is depleted! Yesterday, I watched ONE movie on Amazon Prime. I checked my usage meter at the beginning of the movie, 50%, and the end of the ONE movie, 20%!!!!! WTH???? When I signed up, the rep told me I could watch 8 hours of tv on 1G. I have my account set on Data Saver. I was not running anything else on the WiFi, my smartphone has unlimited data with Verizon. My question: how do you go about downloading movies like on Prime during the Bonus Data period to watch later? If this continues like this, I will have to terminate, it seems that Hughesnet is a big ripoff. I believe I did better with Centurylink DSL or even my Verizon hotspot. ☹️
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Making use of my bonus data

@Mb123

While it's practically impossible to watch 8 hours of TV, even in LD, with 1GB, depending on how much data you have in your plan it's entirely possible for a movie to deplete the amount from 50% to 20%.  I'm not sure if Amazon Prime prompts the Video Data Saver to engage, as I don't know that all streaming services do.  I know for sure that Netflix does, but I don't know about others.   Perhaps someone else who reads this can say for sure.  

In addtions, Amazon doesn't seem to want to reveal its true data needs for streaming, but from what I could find from peoples' experiences it's about 800-900MB per hour in SD and around 2GB or so per hour in HD, but the article I got this info from is over three years old.  It may be more now.  

As for how to download at one time and watch later, some people do, but I don't know how.  I think you have to have some type of DVR or something like it.  

Also, keep in mind that some devices will still connect and use data even when they appear to be off.  

With all of this said, if you feel that you were misled during the sales call and it's been less than 90 days since that call, you can request to have it reviewed.  If it's determined that you were misled you may have recourse regarding the ability to cancel without an ETF.  I say may.  Only the reps can tell you for sure.  

Hopefully someone who has a better idea of how to download things to watch later will read this and help you with that.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sophomore

I use the amazon prime video app to download shows during the bonus period for watching at a later time. You can also download some shows from Netflix using their app. Then you can watch these shows later by using airplay if you have an Apple TV (even an older one) as I do, or use other methods including a cable to directly connect to TV. This allows you to use bonus data for the downloads, or if you have unlimited data on your phone, you could use the apps on it.

Professor

The download for later thing that these places offer is a brilliant idea.

Professor

"When I signed up, the rep told me I could watch 8 hours of tv on 1G."  With Data Saver, I can watch about 4 hours of Netflix streaming on 1G.    I personally don't trust what salespeople say, so I verify it myself.  I watch a one hour show and measure the data before and after, so I have an idea how much data that service uses.  So far, the best are Netflix and YouTube.

@prsmart wrote:

I use the amazon prime video app to download shows during the bonus period for watching at a later time. You can also download some shows from Netflix using their app. Then you can watch these shows later by using airplay if you have an Apple TV (even an older one) as I do, or use other methods including a cable to directly connect to TV. This allows you to use bonus data for the downloads, or if you have unlimited data on your phone, you could use the apps on it.

Great info.  That's awesome.  On Friday I ordered a 25' HDMI cable so I can stream HBO Go and DirecTV on demand programs on my laptop and watch them on my TV, and this is another idea.  Actually, an even better one with having the ability to download at one time and watch later.  Sort of like my laptop becoming a makeshift DVR.  I don't tend to use very much of my Bonus Data, and this would be a great way to take full advantage.  

I can mirror my laptop to my TV remotely, but the audio doesn't sync well.  So the HDMI cable is a better option for me, if not a little more cumbersome.     

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sophomore

I have the 20G plan. I wanted the faster speed for my LG Smart TV. So now I’m paying $20 more per month ($84.95) than I paid for Directv and can watch very little tv. I do believe I was misled by the rep. I had Hughesnet many years ago, of course that’s before the streaming era, it was good back then, now I’m just very disappointed. Even if I have to pay early termination fees which would be equal to about 4 months of crappy service it will be better than paying for 24 months to fulfill my commitment. Live and learn.....can’t say I will recommend Hughesnet to anyone.
New Poster

Lord I SOOOOO agree with you. Upgrade to Gen 5 for movies the add said. They showed the family watching movies on several devices. Heck I cannot use primetime on satellite to record reg tv!!! It wiped out the entire month of usage in one freakin night! Watch movies total BS! Total wast to buy into it. Sadly country life is wonderful but you people ruin it! We pay for 30 gigs to be wiped out in one night?? sounds just like a scammer to me. here take this but get that!

Professor

This is not a social media site  or a rant site - it is a tech support site. If you would like tech support, create a new thread here

Additionally, Hughesnet is not cable. It requires strict data management on the part of the user.  30GB should go a long way for normal internet usage and some streaming, but if you want to watch movies all evening every evening, then satellite internet is not for you.  

Highlighted

@prazer

HughesNet sells you a high speed data package.  How you and/or your devices use that data, and how quickly you and/or your devices use it, is entirely up to you.  HughesNet doesn't control you or your devices.  YOU do.  HughesNet is not scamming you.

This is a SUPPORT site.  If you want that support, including help to figure out why you burned through 30GB in one evening, please follow maratsade's advice and start a new post.  And by new post I mean a new post like, "Hi.  I'm having an issue with high data usage and I need help." or "I used 30GB in one night and I need to find out why so that it doesn't happen again."  NOT a rant.