cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managing Automatic Data Hogs

Sophomore

Managing Automatic Data Hogs

Hughesnet provides the internet service at our vacation home.   We frequently have guests and renters, and we give them access to our WiFi.   The problem is WiFi is treated by devices as "all you can eat", and not like a "measured service" like a cellular connection would be.   Friends will go out and take tons of photos, then come back onto our WiFi that is serviced by Hughesnet, and they all start automatically uploading to iCloud, Google Photos etc.   Devices will also auto-update their Operating System and Applications.   Yesterday, guests gobbled up 29 Gig in ONE day!   There is no way to sit down with each guest or renter and ask them to tailor their device settings to be well behaved on our limited Hughesnet-serviced WiFi network.  I am looking for a way to manage this at the router.   I understand iCloud services are difficult to block because Apple's implementation uses many ports, including 80 and 443.   Has anyone here found a way to configure the HT2000 router/modem, or an external Router to block common "automatic" data hogging cloud services like iCloud Photos  and Google Photo share, OS updates etc.?   Or does someone know of a way to limit each device to a certain daily data allotment?   Or is there an SSID I can set on my Router that will tell devices to "Manage this WiFi connection the same way you would use a Cellular connection"?  Or to block EVERYTHING except web, e-mail and maybe some music streaming (but I understand iCloud photos also uses Port 80 ....).

Tags (2)
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Managing Automatic Data Hogs

@guppypond 

Because the HT2000W is fairly basic, about the only thing you're going to be able to do with it is block specific sites with the Parental Controls.  You can, however, use a 3rd party router with greater abilities with HughesNet, though I don't know exactly what abilities in those 3rd party routers would fit your needs, nor what abilities those routers might have.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
Sophomore

Re: Managing Automatic Data Hogs

Thanks.   Looking through the threads, it looks like others have had similar challenges.  I am wondering if anyone has found a good way to manage it other than asking all guests to change their device settings.