Manual throttling?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gypsy1
New Poster

Manual throttling?

When I ordered my Hughesnet service, the sales rep informed me that I could manually throttle back my service to avoid using my high speed data allowance.  This was a concern of mine because when my son is home we have easily gone over 40G in a month as children can be data monsters.  I need my high speed internet for work.  I am completely new to this technology. My previous service was a wifi hot spot through a cell phone service.  When I called tech support, I was told that I was misled and my modem could not do this.  I was told I would need a separate router?  Can anyone offer any tips or advice?  I have no idea what type of router I would need and even if I buy a router, what do I need to do to set it up to throttle back my speed myself?  

9 REPLIES 9
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

If you are looking to help limit data usage due to video usage, make sure you have a Gen5 service plan, and enable the Video Data Saver function under the Usage Meter, OR by going to My Account > Settings and make sure the Video Data Saver is enabled (green).

I also suggest making sure your kids if streaming video, are streaming it in the lowest possible resolution, while the video data saver will cause a lower resolution to be used, this only works if using the services (youtube and similar) automated feature that tries to detect the best resolution for the speed you're streaming at.

You will also want to install adblockers on your browser.

As far as throttling, none of the Hughesnet modems offer this, and I am not aware of any consumer grade products that offer it either...  If you are tech savvy and can handle a steep learning curve, you may want to give PFSense a try as your network router/firewall.

The only other thing you can do...  Educate your children on data usage and explain to them that they need to conserve data as much as possible.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Kids are data suckers for sure. Best to educate them like not leaving the hot water tap running 24/7. Kind of the same thing with satellite data. All video streaming eats data a lot, even low definition if done for hours and hours everyday.

As someone who is still setting up thier Hughesnet account, I am full of questions.

One thing I know is that if Hughesnet can throttle your speed, then so should the user.

My previous service was never over 1.0mgbs.

In talking with my friend who did sattelite service and installation, Hughesnet, just needs to educate users on how to set their speed. This will also prevent geek users from hacking the modem to throttle speeds.

I only use one email address for everything and have MS Office 2016 Pro installed on my systems and was told there should be no problems, just add the Hughesnet I.D. to my account and the correct port.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Erny

Hughesnet's own equipment does not give as user the ability to set or throttle speed, nor can it be "hacked" to do so. 

Hughenset only throttles one's speed when they have exhausted the data in their plan and they go into FAP.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro

Partially True, I am a new customer and still in the initial 20 days of service. I had initially set the video saver to on and left the Youtube settings to Auto. My videos would buffer to the point they were un-watchable at 240P to 144P. I then disabled the video saver and You tube still wants to run at 144P while still buffering, took over 4 minutes to get through the first 36 seconds of video between 240 and 144p.

Don't get me wrong the download speed for updates etc is nearly 10 times the speed of my previous ISP.

My personal feelings are I am paying for the Data, let me decide if I want to watch a self help video at 360 or 480p. If I exceed my data limits then throttle me to the 3Mbs.

maratsade

Wade, And you couldn't set the speed from YouTube? The settings on the videos themselves allow you to do so. If you have the setting at Auto, then YouTube is picking the speed for you.  Change the setting to HD and see how it plays. 

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

Initially I left it to auto, then I set it to 360p and it sat there fro a bit then played for a few seconds then buffered again several times. Then I set it to 240p and it still buffered but not as much. The video was almost not watchable, I was trying to see where a connection attaches on a car engine so I could perform some troubleshooting.

I'm still thinking if I am paying for the data I should be able to use it as I see fit without the need to pause and wait to get 40 seconds of video. Sorry, I am just a little disappointed in the restrictions in performance I have to contend with for the price I have to pay to get the service because I live 3 miles from town.

maratsade

Ok, so you tried and it didn't work. Sorry about that!  You are not being throttled by the company, though.  Satellite technology has limitations that arise from many things, such as latency (and this has to do with the laws of physics, not the company), usage (many people on the beam means the available broadband is reduced), and other things that may be beyond the user's control.  

I understand what you say about paying for data and wanting to use the data, but it's not so simple; there are many factors affecting a user's broadband.  

You can work with the admins and the many very experienced customers here to see if there are ways you can maximize your broadband, but you also need to learn to accept the limitations of the technology, and work with what you have. 

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

GabeU

@Wade63 wrote:

My personal feelings are I am paying for the Data, let me decide if I want to watch a self help video at 360 or 480p. If I exceed my data limits then throttle me to the 3Mbs.

That's exactly what the Video Data Saver control does.  It allows you to choose how you want to use the data. 

With this said, though, congestion could be causing your issue.  When the VDS is off, or paused, your speed for streaming is no longer deliberately throttled.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro