Maybe I'm weird, but so far I've been very happy with my Hughesnet service

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
debbie.jean.bro
Advanced Tutor

Maybe I'm weird, but so far I've been very happy with my Hughesnet service

So maybe I'm the weird one here, 🙂 but so far I've been very satisfied with my Hughesnet satellite internet service. Perhaps it's because, after moving to a rather remote rural area from a large city, I had to go without internet, TV, and phone service for almost four months! I'm now on month four with Hughesnet, and so far it has been good.

I knew going in that it wouldn't be Verizon, and I knew we (my adult daughter and I) couldn't watch a ton of streaming video, so maybe it's that my expectations were realistic. We do watch the occasional YouTube video or Amazon Prime TV show, and we've never had a problem. 10GB has been fine for us. We use the internet a lot, but it's almost all text-based stuff, so it doesn't use a ton of data.

If there is a movie or something we want to watch, we use the download manager and download it between 2:00 AM- 8:00 AM and use our bonus bytes. I have some people temporarily staying here and their kids used up all my data in short order, but they were playing video games and downloading stuff constantly. All in all, however, Hughesnet has been a good solution for me and I'm able to read, research, and write all day, six days a week, with no problems whatsoever. Just sayin'!
🙂
20 REPLIES 20
Liz

Hi again, Chewagirl 🙂

You're not weird, you're just one of the very few people who take time to let us know that HughesNet works well for them. So THANK YOU for sharing your positive experience here in the community.

We're always here if you need us (BTW, did the local link I gave you in your other thread help with the router thing?)

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

HughesNetCorpor

Not weird at ALL!
Like Liz mentioned, very few people come here to say anything positive about their HughesNet service, which is really unfortunate, especially as there are 1000's of people who are indeed happy with their HughesNet service.
Like you, I too am very satisfied with my internet through HughesNet and comforted knowing that, if for whatever reason, should an issue come up, I can come to this community for help is resolving that issue.

((HUGS))
Liz

LOL I just wanted to pop in to say that we have a little over a million subscribers, I'd say we have more than just thousands who are fine with HughesNet.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I've been very happy with the service too.  When I had DirecWay, it was a little slow and there was not too much broadband, but my other choice was AOL and that was not very good at all. Gen4 is a great improvement.  I can stream Netflix and Amazon Prime easily. I do watch my usage every day and manage it so I don't go over. Hughesnet has improved immensely and Gen4 is very cool. I've been very lucky with customer service reps who have been nice, helpful, and happy to chit chat while they're helping with my account. And this community here is invaluable, with a really extensive knowledge base and so many people who give generously of their time and expertise,  plus the company reps who are always so willing to go the extra mile. Is Hughesnet perfect?  No, but is any ISP? There are limitations everywhere -- just read the complaints about other ISPs. I think the trick is to have realistic expectations.  (A few things that are fabulous: the 20 days when your data buckets refill constantly; I used that to update everything.  They give you 2 free tokens a month, and you can apparently stack them, so you can set aside a little rainy day data fund. Fifty (!!!) gigs of bonus bytes -- I have used those to update software and sometimes to stream stuff in the wee hours. And now you can apparently do basic internet and email even if you are hit with FAP. Really cool, folks).
OleSmokey
New Poster

You know, the people in this thread are right on the money. I ate up my 10 gig early in this month. It finally dawned on me about the bonus bytes. I updated my Windows 10 for two computers and my other activity from 2 am to 8 am and I'm finally up to spec with my 10 gig / point in the month. I'll be more careful in the future. I don't see that as a problem. I only had one outage, to do with a terrible storm near Okeechobee. It is slower going to the satellite and back, but to be expected.

So I am here to give my thanks and congratulations to HughesNet. I'm confused about the relation ship with Gen4, TH1100 (I think I have that) and tokens. But I'll figure it out.

Now maybe I'll see some good stuff here and not all bad. 🙂 

OleSmokey

yorkytime1
New Poster

I have to add to others.  I am extremely pleased to have Hughesnet.  Without it I would be back to 300kb land line!  And the cust, reps here are amazing.  Like when my motorhome exploded and burned my dish completely.....they stepped up to get me a new install ASAP.  And when I've had technical difficulty they always stepped up quickly.  Plus the customers here that jump in to help are amazing. I'm a happy camper.
maratsade

Holy cow; your motor home exploded?? Yikes.
maratsade

Bonus bytes used to be 3 am to 7 am -- at some point they extended these by 2 hours; another sign of awesomeness.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

2AM to 7AM on the old legacy system - unlimited data, no longer exists unless you happen to have an old legacy plan from prior to 2012...
HughesNetCorpor

HughesNet customer service really helped us out when it came to shipping back the VoIP equipment we had ordered. We live 96 miles away from the closest UPS store and 45 miles away from the closest United State Post Office.
Normally, when shipping equipment back to HughesNet, they want you to ship it via UPS, and with the VoIP equipment, you do this at your own costs...
... after explaining to customer service via phone how far away we lived from anything, not only did they allow us to ship the equipment back via the United States Post Office (USPS), but they also credited my account which covered my gas and the cost of return shipping via USPS 2 Day Priority w/ signature confirmation.
I have many reasons to be thankful for HughesNet. Their wonderful customer service thus far that I have personally experienced being just one of many things.

The community 'champions' and other customers (those who are more familiar with computers and satellite/internet technology) are also pretty awesome as often times you will see them stepping up to offer assistance to those of us with questions, concerns, and general troubleshooting right here in the community. 
maratsade

I thought it was 3 am,but hey, it's still much better now!
yorkytime1
New Poster

marasade,  YES!  I thank God everyday that I was not traveling to a dog show with me and all my Yorkies onboard.  35 ft motorhome full with about 100 gal gasoline and full tank of propane.  EXPLODED in a huge ball of flames.  Our neighbors heard it and rush to help us.  There were flames in the top of 100 foot tall pine trees.  it was parked between our two homes about 30 feet from my main home.  The flames did reach the garage.  It took about 9 firetrucks to put out the fires in the tree tops before our home was burned.  Our neighbors were all here trying to help....and standing guard in case I needed to get my dogs out of my house quickly.  It was the scariest time of my life.  It was a complete loss along with all show gear and dog equipment.....but things can be replaced.  We all were ok.  That is all that matters.  I no longer have any desire to own a motor home.  Non at all. LOL  We are also thankful for our neighborhood volunteer fire station....if not for my neighbors and that fire truck we would have lost everything. 
maratsade

That's horrifying, Yorkytime, but I'm glad people and puppies were OK.  Things can always be replaced.  Wonderful to hear that your neighbors were helping out too! Good people make all the difference in the world.  Note to self: do NOT buy a motor home!!
HughesNetCorpor

It's a blessing to have good neighbors 🙂
yorkytime1
New Poster

Yes it is a blessing.  We are a small rural community of only 16 families.  And we are like family.  About the motor home.....I had seen photos of burned RV's.  I had an emergency fire escape route and we practiced getting out quickly.  But no way would I or any of my dogs survived this fire.  It was just amazing how quickly it burned.  I never want to even enter a RV again!  Here are a couple of photos......

HughesNetCorpor

Oh my goodness...that is terrible and must of been quite frightening for you and your family to go through.
We too live in an extremely rural and small community (12 people). We have no fire dept or emergency services out this far...the closest is some 45 miles away. 
Although we are spread apart, we can always count on our neighbors during an emergency or any reason for that matter. 

I am so thankful that my boys experienced what it is to live like this during their teen years.
They are now grown and have since moved out of the boonies (my oldest is in nursing school and my youngest is enlisted in the U.S Navy)...but the life lessons that they learned out here, this 'way of life', things that a lot of folk, especially young folk, take for granted, will stay with them forever. 

((HUGS))
debbie.jean.bro
Advanced Tutor

Hey all,

Just wanted to say a big THANKS for chiming in! I knew I couldn't be the only one. 😉

Two more examples of what I like about Hughesnet: one, I always know exactly what my bill will be! It makes doing my monthly budget much easier to not have to guess at what my internet bill might come in at.

Two, the customer service, from the sales person to tech support, has been excellent. The comments I read about people who felt they were "misled" about things like bonus bytes mystify me because that was not my experience at all. It was clearly explained to me that 50 of my 60GBs could only be used between 2:00-8:00 AM. Would I like to be able to use them anytime? Of course! But I knew that was the deal going in.

Just today, I had an urgent problem--urgent to me, anyway. I have some long term house guests and their kids ate through all my data with their video games, downloads, and YouTube videos. The instructions I received about how to change my wifi password weren't working. So I posted here. In less than 10 minutes, Liz posted the solution--and it worked! And now I see in the comments above that she even remembered me from the previous post, when she deals with thousands of customers daily! THAT'S what I call good customer service! Liz, I posted in the other thread, but YES your solution worked perfectly!

Yorkytime, so sorry about your RV! And I'm so glad your doggies are OK! I too live in a remote rural area--6 months now--after living in big cities nearly all my life. It's definitely an adjustment, but there are 38 homes in our community and all the neighbors are really nice. 🙂

I understand that people are really, really frustrated when they post negative reviews, but I'm going to try to inject some positivity where I can. I agree with you all that there is a great deal of knowledge amongst the users here, and that is awesome!!!

🙂
maratsade

Yorkytime, wow. Just wow.  You're blessed to be alive to tell the tale.
Liz

I just... want to give this entire thread a hug.

(((you)))

-Liz

GabeU

Chewagirl,

As others have mentioned, it's not weird at all, but unfortunately, not very common.  Most customers who are perfectly happy with the service just go on about their day, not giving it much thought.  I, like you, and a few others now and again, on the other hand, take the time to say so.  Most people, when happy with a product, don't bother taking the time to.  It's understandable.  We all have our busy days and no one thinks about going out of their way to express satisfaction with something they expect to work well, anyway.  It's too bad, really, as when people look at these boards, they overwhelmingly see complaints, while never really thinking about the fact that a person is many times more likely to voice a complaint when there is a problem than a compliment when there isn't.  I, for one, am glad that you did, as I'm sure the folks at Hughesnet are, as well. 

It's also nice to know that you knew what to and not to expect.  As you've no doubt seen on here, many people move from an area where they had FIOS or cable and get this, expecting that it will be the same, and are highly disappointed, or even agitated, when they discover that it isn't.  I'm glad you did your homework, and am also glad that you pay attention to your data usage and have taken an active role in using the Bonus Bytes to your advantage. 

Again, glad you like it. 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro